Where do you fall on the political/ideological spectrum?

Political Leanings  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you fall on the political/ideological spectrum?

• Very Liberal
    • Moderate Liberal (Lean left of center)
    • Moderate (Center)
    • Moderate Conservative (Lean right of center)
    • Very Conservative

At the Meetup, a discussion was raised about political leanings, and we all felt it important to have a wide/diverse spectrum here to truly learn from each other.

Note to other mods, please leave this in the GR subforum. Thanks.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some very eclectic opinions. When it comes to matters of personal freedoms (abortion rights, drugs, guns, ect...) I'm basically libertarian, I prefer no infringement on personal rights whatsoever. But I do support things such as a national healthcare system and other government expenditures, such as NASA and other science/educational things, for instance i wouldn't mind seeing everyone be able to go to a 4-year college for free (at least your basic 4-year, small public school). I voted Moderate liberal though.

I am a bit surprised with the results. I figured that it would be very liberal! I feel an unexpected comfort knowing that I am not a token conservative on this site.

Polls tend to bring out the lurkers as well (those who don't speak can vote, and not really be heard)

I believe that you can't live your life in extreme ideology... I play down the middle except some social issues.

i agree, i play down the middle. What ever i think is the right thing, not based on any political ideology.

I think that you would see the trends that you would expect in GR if you split up the poll into the following two ideological subjects:

Socially Liberal

Socially Moderate Liberal

Socially Moderate

Socially Moderate Conservative

Socially Conservative

-and-

Fiscally Liberal

Fiscally Moderate Liberal

Fiscally Moderate

Fiscally Moderate Conservative

Fiscally Conservative

This is where I think our true colors would be seen. :thumbsup:

I think that you would see the trends that you would expect in GR if you split up the poll into the following two ideological subjects:

Socially Liberal

Socially Moderate Liberal

Socially Moderate

Socially Moderate Conservative

Socially Conservative

-and-

Fiscally Liberal

Fiscally Moderate Liberal

Fiscally Moderate

Fiscally Moderate Conservative

Fiscally Conservative

This is where I think our true colors would be seen. :thumbsup:

I agree, this would be a good poll.

If I'm on the internet I usually only frequent two forums that would be UP-GR and a forum for CAD software support. In the other forum and behind the anonymity of the keyboard peeople keep asking "are you conservative or liberal" almost always. And sadly sometimes its one of the most popular threads. I would swear that sometimes it dosen't matter just get on with the show. If people didn't know which way we leaned we can go on growing closer together rather then pushing away because one person dislikes Bush or another thinks the public school system is a waste of their money. Of some of the threads that have "gone political" I'm really surprise this one hasn't taken off. I'm also surprised that no one has written a long winded explination of why their side is better or trying to convince which side to take in just a few paragraphs and countless internet fact sheets.

that's a good point Rizz, we've had other debate threads, they pop their heads back up every now and again. In this thread, I find it really cool just to see how people classify themselves. It's factual, and nuetral, and actually rather pleasant.

I've been patiently waiting for father Jeff to classify himself. He seems to take a rather above the fray approach. But when you read his posts, he seems to fall on both sides.

that's a good point Rizz, we've had other debate threads, they pop their heads back up every now and again. In this thread, I find it really cool just to see how people classify themselves. It's factual, and nuetral, and actually rather pleasant.

I've been patiently waiting for father Jeff to classify himself. He seems to take a rather above the fray approach. But when you read his posts, he seems to fall on both sides.

I'm more values-driven vs. politically driven, which is why it's hard to pin down my political affilation. I think both sides hold values that are consistent with mine on certain issues, and are diametrically opposed to mine on other issues. Both sides (and the so-called middle) have some great leaders, and others who make me feel like I want to vomit at their sight. Hope that helps. Not trying to be ambiguous. :thumbsup: On 7 out of 10 issues (hypothetical number), I lean to the right.

Archived