Traverse City roads and Infrastructure

MJLO

Ok, So some of the talk on here has got me wondering. What are the future plans

to improve, and/or expand the roads in the Norther Michigan, Traverse City hub areas?

I am probabally in the minority here, But I have long felt that 131 needs to be a

freeway extended to 75, and I think that 31 needs to atleast have be in part a Freeway

loop that extends to 131. Will these things happen. Will MDOT force it on the NIMBY's

up there to avoid the certain chaos that comes with growth, when u dont expand Rds.

I very well may be the only person on this forum that thinks freeways aren't all evil.

Anyone in the know about what's planned?

Anyone have an opinion?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can't even get a non-freeway bypass built around Traverse City and Petoskey. They would rather complain about the traffic in the summer than reroute them. Also, it has become so expensive to build freeways that the state would have a hard time footing the bill and with land prices around TC and Petoskey being so high, they would have even a harder time. Another thing is the geography of this area. Try to bypass TC and where can you go. Reconnecting to US-31 north of TC would become diffecult with Lake Michigan and Torch Lake being so close to each other.

No, no major employers here. The largest employers in Grand Traverse County are Munson Medical Center, Traverse City Area Public Schools and Grand Traverse County. I remember looking this stuff up once and where I worked at the time was something like 25th on the list. We had a little under 100 employees at the time.

mm, maybe. i think it would be cool if they turned M- 72 into a freeway until right when it gets a few(maybe 10) miles from TC. and it could just end like 131 does. that might be nice. exept i dont know what you would do with all the drive ways facing 72, i guess you would have to make a small road the ran near it to put the driveways onto.

I'm beating a dead horse here I think but, don't you think an improved transportation system, would perhaps invite more investment, and maybe improve the economy?

Yes I do. Trust me on this one. I have been looking for a job for 3 weeks now and there just isn't anything going on up here, unless of course you enjoy flipping hamburgers or waiting on diners or making thier beds at their hotel all at rock bottom wages no less. But then again if you improved the economy and brought thousands of jobs this way, it would just piss off the good ol' boy system we enjoy so much around here. :sick:

Yeah sorry about this. It is taking a while to get this thing fixed. Anyway, yes, to both. Contracts for city/county road services go to the same two contractors all the time, public buildings to one contractor and yes they hire their cousins for everything.

That's what I've gathered. When I lived in Benzie County I noticed that the Road Commision was made up of 3 families for 6 seats. 3 Pelky's, 2 Rosa's and some other guy that was there to make it look less like a family reunion. Most of the people who even worked for the commision were made up of Pelky's and Rosa's. Pretty sickening if you ask me.

Archived