Baton Rouge Riverfront Plan

byrde

• 4 months later...

Some kind of exterior renovations need to be made to the Arena...those discolored walls need to go!

I've been thinking that.

I will say that now that they have removed the trees and fountain at Repentance Park, there is a much stronger visual connection between River Road the St Phillip Street Promenade.

It certainley helps. You can actualy see the LASM building clearly.

The fountain won't be missed by me or many young people. Like buckett said, it was poorly maintained and disfuctional more often than not. This quick new construction will draw people downtown quick, hopefully the "new" vibe doesn't wear off too fast.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Read Bell Curve.

Your answer to why progress in many American cities moves slowly. A disproportionate number of urban dwelllers have an IQ that barely averages around 85, and are completely hamstrung into poverty and dependency by an pathetic education system run by special interest groups looking after unions.

Too many people have no chance to be productive members of society, and will never provide the support or tax base to even pay for their own consumption of public services. People like that end up in jail, in a meth lab, or being a slave to the entitlement state. Their existance and stupidity discourages private and public investment and drives educated tax payers to economically segregated enclaves and suburban neighborhoods.

If you don't believe me.....Check the per capita income, incarceration rates, crime rates, and education statistics of Baton Rouge and cities like it.

Things may changing for the better. Anterell will be dissatisfied to learn that the most innovative idea in education that this state has seen in years came from a republican governor with bipartisan support in the state house.

Republicans

Or its because Socalists (Democrats) are too busy wasting $45 million on a library, taxing homeowners and businesses for new buses for riders who feel they shouldn't have to pay, and ignoring social issues that are driving the middle class tax base to the suburbs.

let's keep politics out of this.

Thanks

• Like 1

Or its because Socalists (Democrats) are too busy wasting $45 million on a library, taxing homeowners and businesses for new buses for riders who feel they shouldn't have to pay, and ignoring social issues that are driving the middle class tax base to the suburbs.

let's keep politics out of this.

Thanks

Or is it because Nazis (Republicans) are too busy wasting money on interstate projects that won't relive traffic? I like your last sentence best. Thanks

Drop it.

You clearly don't have perspective on this beyond being partisan hack if your goal with these posts are to blame republicans for urban problems and labeling them nazis. If we are going to have political discussion here, have a meaningful one.

I wonder why it takes so long for things to get done in Baton Rouge.

Partly because when people are handling things they're not passionate about they don't work with much expediency.

Edit: And a part because some people really get a thrill out of contesting everyone and everything.

Edited by dan326

Drop it.

You clearly don't have perspective on this beyond being partisan hack if your goal with these posts are to blame republicans for urban problems and labeling them nazis. If we are going to have political discussion here, have a meaningful one.

Excuse me?

He was tasting his own medicine.

I don't have perspective? You have got to be kidding me..

Things take so long to get done in Baton Rouge because the majority of type "A" personalities, the people with big ideas and the drive to complete them, move to other cities to begin their careers after college. So what gets left in Baton Rouge are a bunch of hard working people, but people who enjoy the status quo and have little desire for change. They go to work, go home to their families, and bbq on the weekends. Its a nice life, but not the life of people who are driven to constantly change and improve the places they live. So often times when type A personalities remain in Baton Rouge they are frustrated by mentality of all the people that stayed behind. This is evident in some progressive social clubs such as the Austin 6 or ProgressIS. Those groups only wanted to do their part to make Baton Rouge a better place for everyone but were frustrated with the complacency of the citizens. So they left and moved to other cities like Austin and Dallas, the same way Rasin' Canes did to find like minded people.

That is just ONE reason why things in Baton Rouge move so slowly.

Things take so long to get done in Baton Rouge because the majority of type "A" personalities, the people with big ideas and the drive to complete them, move to other cities to begin their careers after college. So what gets left in Baton Rouge are a bunch of hard working people, but people who enjoy the status quo and have little desire for change. They go to work, go home to their families, and bbq on the weekends. Its a nice life, but not the life of people who are driven to constantly change and improve the places they live. So often times when type A personalities remain in Baton Rouge they are frustrated by mentality of all the people that stayed behind. This is evident in some progressive social clubs such as the Austin 6 or ProgressIS. Those groups only wanted to do their part to make Baton Rouge a better place for everyone but were frustrated with the complacency of the citizens. So they left and moved to other cities like Austin and Dallas, the same way Rasin' Canes did to find like minded people.

That is just ONE reason why things in Baton Rouge move so slowly.

Without adequate economic opportunity, most of the brightest leave town.

You need an influx of young, educated people with disposable income to offset the complete failures that make up a large portion of town since America's education system (especially Baton Rouge's) can't be trusted to do its job and produce educated, competent people.

There are too many idiots in town that will never amount to anything. That BS undermines both private and public investment and drives the educated class into economically segregated communities in town and in the suburbs.

Baton Rouge has to attract more business. That's the easiest way to improve town.

You could fix the schools today (impossible) and it would still take 20 years to see an improvement.

You brought up politics first.

...quite obvious you missed the point of my entire post.

Without adequate economic opportunity, most of the brightest leave town.

You need an influx of young, educated people with disposable income to offset the complete failures that make up a large portion of town since America's education system (especially Baton Rouge's) can't be trusted to do its job and produce educated, competent people.

There are too many idiots in town that will never amount to anything. That BS undermines both private and public investment and drives the educated class into economically segregated communities in town and in the suburbs.

Baton Rouge has to attract more business. That's the easiest way to improve town.

You could fix the schools today (impossible) and it would still take 20 years to see an improvement.

I'm sorry but I side with buckett. I want to make this city, state, and entire gulf coast a better place to live for everyone. Everyone here knows that, everyone here knows I lived in Houston (just came back) and will gladly go back if this city doesn't get it's act together.

It's the people who talk down on downtown, public transit, etc and then complain about the things Baton Rouge can't offer. It has to start somewhere, and it looks like the city and state are trying. Don't know what to say about our citizens. Louisiana palm greasing is a large part of our failures but I haven't seen the positive effort matched by citizens of EBR.

Edited by Antrell Williams