Funny error in today's NY Times

Check this out...this was from the Hurricanes/Devils game summary:

Wallin's goal capped a wild ending, with Eric Staal scoring with just three seconds remaining in regulation after Scott Gomez's goal had given the Devils a 2-1 lead with 20.7 seconds left.

``I don't even know what happened,'' Wallin said of the puck, which came off the stick of Devils' Paul Martin and the Charlotte defenseman's skate before going through the legs of New Jersey netminder Martin Brodeur.

I don't think the folks in Raleigh fund it funny though. :lol: Anyway, go 'Canes!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice. I can see why people think that because the Carolina Panthers play here.

I saw another error with CLT-Raleigh on News 14.

comparison.jpg

The proposed Soleil Center as compared to Raleigh and Charlotte's tallest buildings.

I didn't know either of those were in Charlotte. I guess that they cut the four Charlotte towers taller than that off of the left side.

Here's the link incase anybody is interested about that story:

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=84193&SecID=2

It's just like the Mayor of Detroit, a few years ago called Mayor McCorey to wish the Hurricanes good luck on making to the Stanely Cup playoffs with the Detroit Red Wings. Mayor McCorey said something like, "I think you want the city to east of here."

aussie_luke - That diagram is something I created myself for my website. So not only did they report the caption wrong, they used my graphic without permission.

Pretty bad journalism all around.

aussie_luke - That diagram is something I created myself for my website. So not only did they report the caption wrong, they used my graphic without permission.

Pretty bad journalism all around.

that was the first thing I noticed about the article, the http://www.raleighskyline.com thing posted, do you work with the N&O??? oh and great pic of the soleil center (spelling maybe wrong)

Is that Soleil building going to be Raleigh's tallest? Why is it not taller? I would think that Raleigh would now have a building in the over 600 ft category.

It's raleigh, there is still too much conflict over the center of The Triangle. Until this is made final, I don't expect any uptown development in any of the three "cores."

Is that Soleil building going to be Raleigh's tallest? Why is it not taller? I would think that Raleigh would now have a building in the over 600 ft category.

First....... 600 ft ????

Raleigh and the Triangle are a different market than Charlotte work force. Many or most of the tall buildings in Charlotte are banks or Energy companies. They traditionally build tall and DT and works well with them as it is people in seats that need to be close together. Many of the large Triangle companies are tech, biotech and Pharma which means a lot of lab space and the need for low cost space because you still have to pay for the people to have desks. Also, the low margins in the tech business also drive this not to mention the effects of proposed products that never reach the market place.

Can not do that in a 60 story DT building. That is why you have such a place as RTP with Nortel, Sony Erricssen, Cisco, GSK, Quintiles,Dupont, etc and also campuses like SAS. Look at a company like IBM or Lenovo combined. With over 14K employees and numerous upon numerous test labs, computing centers, you would have 30 floors or more of just labs/computers/servers/ mainframes.......Does not make financial sense.

Same for biotech/pharma.

^^

Looks like we pissed off a Raleigh-ite :lol:

ps subway, banks have floors upon floors of mainframes too. They also have satellite locations to source many of their mainframes and labs too. And those buildings are just as large (*Cough* if not larger -- CIC *cough*cough*) than IBM and Lenovo's. The towers are for personnel, customer service, and corporate headquarters. Check out the University Research Park before criticizing Charlotte.

I'm just yankin your tail so don't worry.

^^

Looks like we pissed off a Raleigh-ite :lol:

ps subway, banks have floors upon floors of mainframes too. They also have satellite locations to source many of their mainframes and labs too. And those buildings are just as large (*Cough* if not larger -- CIC *cough*cough*) than IBM and Lenovo's. The towers are for personnel, customer service, and corporate headquarters. Check out the University Research Park before criticizing Charlotte.

I'm just yankin your tail so don't worry.

Sorry but not pissed off. Just making a point. I am not talking about sever farms. IBM,Cisco, Sony, SAS and any company have that. That is usual for any business. I am talking about test and development labs that all products go through for hardware and software that is part of the product development process. Much different than having your local Microsoft tech school graduate sitting in raised floor cold room racing to get a email server back up. Or in the medical field, the labs like at Quintiles or GSK. It takes space and not cost effective to pay DT rates. It is part of the cost effectiveness that the tech business has done to survive. (Medical is another subject)

Sever farms ?? Geezz, that is Computing 101 for a company. What I said are these companies create campus so they can get cheap space, have a large layout and put bodies together.

Not critizing Charlotte in the least, but I could easily go there when comparing RTP to..what is it ... CIC ???? But the comment was "Why was not the Soliel or other tall buildings in Raleigh ....and it has to do with the nature of the jobs.

I have worked in high tech development of 15 years and use to work for one of Charlotte's premier companies that was DT and it was a service company (no longer exists) so not knocking it, just making a point......

Not critizing Charlotte in the least, but I could easily go there when comparing RTP to..what is it ... CIC ???? But the comment was "Why was not the Soliel or other tall buildings in Raleigh ....and it has to do with the nature of the jobs.

Not to get into a spitting match with you, but CIC is the third largest building in the United States used by a single company or organization. It is the largest single business building in the US as the #1 (NASA space shuttle construction building) and the #2 (The Pentagon) buildings are both government. I know RTP is the largest research park in the world, I can't argue with fact. But I was using CIC as an example that banks also use large spread out spaces for servers in order to keep cost down. And, on the same, if not larger, scale.

I'm not trying to belittle the Triangle. I am just stating that even though a company may put a good deal of resources into large campuses, they still have personnel, customer service (if it hasn't been outsourced yet,) business admin, etc that are normally housed in locations away from the servers in towers. This is why I'm not sure why companys like IBM haven't invested in even mid-rise towers. It helps image and would cost less on property because you are covering an enormously small acreage in comparison, even if the property is worth more. I love Raleigh and I am more than happy to see it catching Charlotte. If all of the NC metros continue growth at the levels they are now, NC will give many other NE states a run for their money in the next few decades. No other state in the south (excluding FL and TX) have as many major metros as it appears we will have in the Triad, Triangle, and Charlotte metros.

Archived