State commits $22 million to port/rail project

metalman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have discussed this in other threads on here, but never put up a thread devoted to the intermodal station. So thanks for doing it.

This is a great thing to happen to Roanoke, and I believe that this is a turn-around for the city. Even if this isnt built directly in the city limits, it would do wonders for Roanoke. First the Victory Stadium proposal, and now this. I think we are finally headed in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
:wacko: I imagine it will need to be near 81/581 or major roads leading to/from them. I hate waiting to find out. We've got a lot of uncertain possibilities right now; location of this facility, possibility of a toyota plant, what is going in at Tanglewood and the addition at valley view. City decisions on the victory stadium site, libraries etc. I want to know now! <_<

If the Trans Dominion Express ever gets the go-ahead (not likely in the immediate future), it would mean 8 passenger trains a day thru Roanoke - 2 roundtrips Bristol/Washington with connections to New York and 2 roundtrips Bristol/Richmond with connections at Main Street Station to Newport News.

I would hope the depot in Roanoke would be near the old one close to the Roanoke Hotel.

I have thought for years now, that the transportation museum would be a good spot for a train station. It used to be a freight station, so it already has the diverted tracks and roof over the loading area. There is abundant parking right in front and it is centrally located downtown.

Putting the station there would mean that the transportation museum would have to move, but I think it could be relocated to a section of the east end shops, where people could tour the train building facilities. That area is a train lovers dream, with all the huge cranes and giant equipment that used to make giant steam and diesel engines.

I remebered I saw something about the TDX on a website last year and so I looked it up. Unfortunately, it looks as if there is nonew news of any progress since July of 2005. I would love to see it happen. It just doesn't seem right that a town that has such a rail history and continued rail presence has no passenger trains. I would take the ride to DC or Richmond.

I also really like the idea of the staion being where the transportation museum is as well as the idea of moving the museum over to the east end shops. So, mclawsdrive what do you say we run for city council?!! :D

• 1 month later...

That wouldn't be out of the question, but I need 2 or 3 years to prepare. :D When is the next round of council elections? :whistling:

Elections are every two years for to replace half the seats. How are your preperations coming along?! :D

Well the most important step would be moving back, but that won't be for about a year. How long do I have to be a city resident to qualify for council?

Glad to hear you are planning to come back! I tried to look up the residency requirement on the city web page but didn't have any luck. I must admit I didn't persist long though, so it might be there.

I've been to lazy to look for it yet but I promise I will.

Back on topic; I think the new intermodal facility and predicted facilities that will locate nearby will eventually lead to the combining of Roanoke and the NRV into one MSA. This facility staddles the Roanoke/Montgomery county line, and couldn't be sited better in terms of linking the two areas economically.

I also agree. I think there is already a good deal of cross traffic between Roanoke and Blacksburg/Christiansburg. It is logical that things will fill in between and this should help spur that development. Don't want to see out of control sprawl though. I wonder if that is avoidable in a growing area in todays economics.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That is a sudden departure from what they had been saying. The opposition in Elliston seems to have made them reconsider. I can't see it for downtown. I still think it would be a good economic engine and I hope they can come to an agreeable evironmentally responsible plan to get it done.

This Roanoke Times article offers more detail on the 9 alternative sites. While the east end shop location certainly has some drawbacks, all the sites have potential problems. The east end site would not require any new roads or bridges and would pump money into the city's economy. Although the Hollins road/campbell ave crossing would be closed, it could be offset by the proposed 18th street bridge. My only concern would be the truck traffic between the site and 581.

Archived