State commits $22 million to port/rail project

metalman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Virginia department of Rail and Public Transportation will delay a decision on the Intermodal Railyard until April. The postponement was due mainly to public outcry against Norfolk Southern's preferred site near Elliston in Montgomery County near the Roanoke county line. Botetourt supervisors have also spoken out against sites in that county. story

It looks to me like only the Roanoke city locations will fly without a considerable protest from NIMBYs. Hopefully NS will just decide on a city location and get on with it.

The Virginia department of Rail and Public Transportation will delay a decision on the Intermodal Railyard until April. The postponement was due mainly to public outcry against Norfolk Southern's preferred site near Elliston in Montgomery County near the Roanoke county line. Botetourt supervisors have also spoken out against sites in that county. story

It looks to me like only the Roanoke city locations will fly without a considerable protest from NIMBYs. Hopefully NS will just decide on a city location and get on with it.

From what I've gathered, there are only 2 small disadvantages to the East End Shops location. 1: Freight Car America uses a portion of the site and might have to relocate. 2: The Hollins road crossing would be closed during operation or possibly permanantly. That crossing is inconvenient and outdated anyway. And Roanoke has a plan for a new bridge connecting 13th street to Hollins Road. Since NS already owns the land at the Shops, the state funds could go toward the new bridge and/or some minor improvements to the Williamson Rd and Orange Ave interchanges.

• 2 weeks later...

While former mayor Bowers is pushing for NS to locate the intermodal facility in the city, city council and city staff are cold to the idea, saying that the East end shops site isn't set up right, and that Freight car America, which occupies part of the site, is about to expand. They criticize the Peter's creek road area site as being too far from the interstate, and say it would require too many costly infrastructural improvents. I agree about the assessment near Peter's creek road, but I think council is dismissing the east end location without really looking at the obstacles and how they could be overcome.

roanoke times article

Councilman Bev Fitspatrick commented

The linear intermodal freight yard -- in which trucks will pick up and unload rail cargo crates -- needs a site of a certain size, shape and location that's more complex than many other projects that localities consider

Archived