Google SketchUp & Detroit

WALD0123

We always talk about our fantasy skyscrapers for Quicken, for the Hudson's Block, for the East Riverfront, well here's our chance to share our dreams with the world...

As some of you may already know, Google recently acquired the makers of the 3D modeling program SketchUp. In typical Google fashion, they have released a free, simplified version of SketchUp available for download as Google SketchUp.

Google SketchUp

This is by far the simplest and most fun to use 3D design program I have ever used and it truly opens up an incredible arena of possiblities for amateurs to create dream homes, landscapes, and buildings. Furthermore, Google has integrated the software with their famous Google Earth program, meaning you can design a building and then place it anywhere on Earth. In places like Detroit, where Google Earth has the CBD buildings already rendered in 3D, you can actually see how your fantasy skyscraper would look in the skyline.

Placing Buildings in Google Earth

Download Google Earth

In addition, Google also offers a free uploading and sharing site for your 3D models. Called the 3D Model Warehouse, you can upload your own designs and browse and download others. In time, this should be an incredible collection of designs, representing everthing from the Taj Mahal to Allan's house.

Google 3D Warehouse

I look forward to seeing everyone's original designs, I know there are some architects here that have probably used this software or something similiar before so I think we should see some really impressive additions to the Detroit skyline.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it and I understand the use the satalite image to get the base of the building part, but I don't know how to get the heights and vertical proportions of the buildings accurate, is there any easy way without blueprints or dimensions?

I just use emporis for the height dimensions. For base dimensions you could also use satellite maps with scale listings, print it out and use a ruler to find the proportions, or just import the satellite image right into sketchup. That's what I typically do when I'm working on my architecture projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived