Downtown Muskegon progress

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

In yesterdays article about Federal Square it was also mentioned that the traffic circle sculpture will be unveiled on June 13th. It will be 35 feet tall, so it will make a big visual impact along those two streets. I hope it is a good fit for that area, I can be very picky when it comes to "modern" art.

Also, does anyone happen to have a larger rendering of the new Federal Square? The one on MLive is small so it's hard to see details.

In yesterdays article about Federal Square it was also mentioned that the traffic circle sculpture will be unveiled on June 13th. It will be 35 feet tall, so it will make a big visual impact along those two streets. I hope it is a good fit for that area, I can be very picky when it comes to "modern" art.

Also, does anyone happen to have a larger rendering of the new Federal Square? The one on MLive is small so it's hard to see details.

I don't have one to post, but I have seen the larger version. They had it at the master plan design charette last month. If they build it as shown, Federal Square will again be the focal point of downtown.

My only concern is push the DMDC seems to be making to rename Federal Square Celebration Park. I hope this does not happen. Federal Square is unique to Muskegon and has designated the plaza in front of the post office for more than a hundred years. The name Federal Square creates a sense of place and anchors you to the past and future of Muskegon.

Celebration Park is a name that has already become hackneyed and dated. It could refer to anywhere. We have Celebration Cinema, Celebration Church, Celebration Florida, etc... Maybe it's just me, but I think the name is over used and frankly, just too common.

• 3 months later...

Even in what many would consider to be hard economic times the progress seen downtown Muskegon over the last couple of years is continuing. Here is the latest piece of the retail puzzle:

Downtown will get another 'bike' shop

In the unsettling new age of $4-a-gallon gasoline, Dave and Kristine Olsen are offering one more way to fight back. The Grand Rapids couple will soon be setting up shop at 173 W. Clay near Terrace Street in downtown Muskegon with a line of Whizzer Motorbikes.

Their Grips N' Gears Bike Shop Co. is also licensed as a dealer of Cannondale bicycles and Bern helmets. And they hope to bring other bicycle brands, including Surly and Felt, to their showroom.

Their sales location still is undergoing remodeling and will have to pass city inspections. Until that work is done, the Olsens said they may have to set up shop temporarily in a building on Terrace Street, across from Muskegon City Hall -- hoping to at least get their doors open in time for the start of Muskegon Bike Time festival, July 18-20.

Even in what many would consider to be hard economic times the progress seen downtown Muskegon over the last couple of years is continuing. Here is the latest piece of the retail puzzle:

Downtown will get another 'bike' shop

I'm pretty sure 173 West Clay is in the arcade building where the Cheese Lady is currently located. What is great about that is this bike shop will be an urban design with their showroom in a storefront and no big asphalt lot to go along with it.

Well Clay Avenue Cellars had done so well in the less than two years they've been in business they are expanding their operation. Right now they lease the basement of Clay Avenue Station, which if you have ever seen the building you know it's tiny. They are still going to be leasing the basement of the building but now the basement will go all the way to the back of the property. This will give them greater capacity for making their wine and much needed storage space.

The work being done:

2667590311_bdefa2d072_b.jpg

I'm didn't even stand all the way back to take this picture, but you can see how big the addition will be compared to the original building:

2668410344_410e2b9a55_b.jpg

Me trying not to get too muddy:

2668422094_55d0912fc7_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived