Bike to work day

JCT

Those bike racks are located in the crosswalk, as I see it.

Noticed on the flyer for Bike to Work day from the City that they are going to have free coffee and bagels after the big ride. Nothing like a refreshing hot cup of coffee after getting all sweaty riding on my bike. :sick:

What about the bicycle tax? Why should automobile owners front the bill for bicycles that impede proper traffic flow?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Mr. Downtown, the obvious thing to point out is that most cyclists are also automobile owners and DO pay for vehicle registration and gas taxes...

By the way, I had a nice hot cup of coffee after my 8 mile ride to work this morning. It

That's a very good point, something that I should have thought about. I guess for me it is just very frustrating to deal with bicyclists all over the road. The neighborhood that I live in is regularly overrun by bicyclists and it is not cool to get behind one of these guys when I actually have somewhere to go and he won't get over. So often, you see folks on bikes that think that they don't have to follow traffic laws or obey signals or signs. I know that I am making generalizations, but these are things that I encounter on a daily basis, but I do also encounter cyclists that do obey the rules. The few that don't ruin it for everybody, as always.

When I'm hot, I generally want something cold to drink... but I'll try to keep an open mind. :alc:

A photo below of the complete streets of Portland (two lanes for cars, one lane for bikes, one lane for buses). IMO the city of Greenville is moving right along with the bike lanes, and that I'm glad to see. I have a concern about EDUCATING the drivers of cars in Greenville. I've noticed in Portland that bikes are extended every courtesy and acknowledged as if they were a car. Conversely, cyclist obey every rule of the road. I've noticed a lack of education among automobile drivers in Greenville and even a bit of anti-bike attitude (even post on this board :( ). Now that Greenville has arrived on the world cycling scene, seems it is time for a solid education program should be put in place for all local citizens. Thoughts? Ideas on how to accomplish general education to the public? Programs already in place?

DSC01884.jpg

A photo below of the complete streets of Portland (two lanes for cars, one lane for bikes, one lane for buses). IMO the city of Greenville is moving right along with the bike lanes, and that I'm glad to see. I have a concern about EDUCATING the drivers of cars in Greenville. I've noticed in Portland that bikes are extended every courtesy and acknowledged as if they were a car. Conversely, cyclist obey every rule of the road. I've noticed a lack of education among automobile drivers in Greenville and even a bit of anti-bike attitude (even post on this board :( ). Now that Greenville has arrived on the world cycling scene, seems it is time for a solid education program should be put in place for all local citizens. Thoughts? Ideas on how to accomplish general education to the public? Programs already in place?

 "As a driver, you have a responsibility to be on the lookout for cyclists. Treat him courteously, since he does have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers to use the streets and highways. Cyclists are part of the normal traffic flow and are entitled to share the road with other drivers."

Our entire community is built around the automobile. Don't expect to see much courtesy from a car driver if you're blocking their road. The same drivers have no respect for pedestrians, green area, quality of life, other drivers, etc. Why wouldn't they resent you being in their way as much as, say, other traffic?

Look at what our community is doing to our bus system. A community who views every form of transportation other than cars to be expendable won't do more than make a show for cyclist traffic. Portland has an awesome mass transit system - which came a long time before cyclists were accepted as equals.

Did anyone else notice that the "bike with Knox White" notices included a "where you can park conveniently" section? Drive your car, park it near where we're meeting, then bike to work. Bike to work, yes! Walk to work, yes! Drive the same distance, get your bike out of the trunk, bike to work? What's the point?

Did anyone else notice that the "bike with Knox White" notices included a "where you can park conveniently" section? Drive your car, park it near where we're meeting, then bike to work. Bike to work, yes! Walk to work, yes! Drive the same distance, get your bike out of the trunk, bike to work? What's the point?

Gsupstate, I like the bike rental station. Good idea.

Galley and condofan, I hope to see you at Piazza Bergamo tomorrow. Come up and say hi if you are there.

Our entire community is built around the automobile. Don't expect to see much courtesy from a car driver if you're blocking their road. The same drivers have no respect for pedestrians, green area, quality of life, other drivers, etc. Why wouldn't they resent you being in their way as much as, say, other traffic?

I think bikes belong on the roads as much as cars do, but I have a question. If they are to be treated like a car, then why do bikers not feel the need to stop at red lights, stop signs, etc? Just ride through Alta Vista / Cleveland Forest. Seems dangerous more than anything. :dontknow:

I think bikes belong on the roads as much as cars do, but I have a question. If they are to be treated like a car, then why do bikers not feel the need to stop at red lights, stop signs, etc? Just ride through Alta Vista / Cleveland Forest. Seems dangerous more than anything. :dontknow:

Greenvillegrows, I realize that some people are very impatient in their cars and are never going to be happy with the presence of cyclists on the roads. I do however expect those people to comply with the law. Only a small minority of motorists feel that cyclists do not belong on the roads, but they are sometimes a vocal minority. Cyclists have the same rights to the road as other users under the laws of this state, but those rights don't mean much if the public is unaware of them. A dangerous situation can arise when a cyclist is confronted by an angry, impatient motorist who truly believes that the cyclist does not belong on the road. That is why I believe that driver education is extremely important.

The question posed earlier in the thread was basically "when will cyclists be accepted as equals on the road?" Some people will never be happy with the presence of (or number of) other cars on the road. Even more will never be happy with cyclists. Fixing the issue requires both driver education and cyclist education as to benefits of mass transit. You can't have a cyclist/pedestrian community culture without having a commitment to mass transit - a change in culture that lessens the importance of the automobile.

The question posed earlier in the thread was basically "when will cyclists be accepted as equals on the road?" Some people will never be happy with the presence of (or number of) other cars on the road. Even more will never be happy with cyclists. Fixing the issue requires both driver education and cyclist education as to benefits of mass transit. You can't have a cyclist/pedestrian community culture without having a commitment to mass transit - a change in culture that lessens the importance of the automobile.

Well, that was my first organized cycling event. It was interesting to see the amateurs and pros dressed in their cycling outfits, and how they signal each other when the pack is slowing, etc. I got a chance to speak briefly with the Mayor about the revitalization happening on Mulberry Street and other areas. I'm not exactly what the pastries from the Atlanta Bread Company where, but man, were they good! ^_^

Well, that was my first organized cycling event. It was interesting to see the amateurs and pros dressed in their cycling outfits, and how they signal each other when the pack is slowing, etc. I got a chance to speak briefly with the Mayor about the revitalization happening on Mulberry Street and other areas. I'm not exactly what the pastries from the Atlanta Bread Company where, but man, were they good! ^_^

I am glad you made it to the event Galley. 60+ riders was a great turnout, so I was pretty happy about that.

The underpass below River Street will be great for the section of Greenway trail that currently starts at Linky Stone. Many people still don't know that is back there, so linking it to a crowded area like Riverplace/Main Street will definitely increase the use of that path.

Archived