Mayor Herenton

soverbey

Do you believe Mayor Herenton is good or bad for the city of Memphis?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. W.W. Herenton: good or bad?

• Good for Memphis
    • Bad for Memphis
    • not sure

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W.W. Herenton: good for Memphis or bad?

Was good at one point, but I think he's outlived his usefulness as mayor.

He's been a great mayor for kickstarting downtown development in the mid-nineties, but downtown doesn't really need any political help at this point.

In the past couple years, he's almost seemed incompetent, saying the city had a budget surplus one year, then a gaping deficit the next. His "annointed by God" thing was off the wall. Plus, he seems to have politicized MLG&W.

I agree with sleepy. He's been mayor long enough, but a bigger question is who will replace him? Prince Mongo? Jerry "The King" Lawler? :silly: Herenton has done a great job with downtown but he has gotten too big headed. The only way the city can do well is if it works with its neighbors and nobody wants to work with Herenton. He's kinda the "black sheep" of the Shelby County mayors. I voted not sure because it would really depend on who's gonna replace him.

I'm new to Memphis, but I think he's done a great job too. Saying that, I also think it may be time for some new and fresh ideas in city hall. I've also heard that the last mayor was a high school dropout and Mayor Loeb (??) and others before were practically racists? Given the past injustices in this city, I don't think its fair when some people label Herenton as a racial separatist. Most large cities in America are dealing with budget problems, but I think he can do a little better on the crime situation. I know I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the exciting downtown scene and the excitement going on in the city, so I think that he has contributed to people being proud of being Memphians. These are just a few things that I've noticed from my stay here.

I'm new to Memphis, but I think he's done a great job too. Saying that, I also think it may be time for some new and fresh ideas in city hall. I've also heard that the last mayor was a high school dropout and Mayor Loeb (??) and others before were practically racists? Given the past injustices in this city, I don't think its fair when some people label Herenton as a racial separatist. Most large cities in America are dealing with budget problems, but I think he can do a little better on the crime situation. I know I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the exciting downtown scene and the excitement going on in the city, so I think that he has contributed to people being proud of being Memphians. These are just a few things that I've noticed from my stay here.

Herenton can be called alot of things but a racial separatist isn't one of them. I don't recall him ever saying anything racist. I read a story about how he saw some police officers goofing off outside his mothers house and he went off on them for it. He seemed to work well with the former county mayor Jim Route (who is white) and the current one Wharton. Route wanted to put Autozone park in East Memphis or suburban Shelby County but Herenton convinced him to put it downtown and the city is better for it.

I'd be really surprised if Dick Hackett, the mayor before Herenton and a successful businessman, was a high school dropout. The mayor before him was Wyeth Chandler-a judge and lawyer.

Loeb was mayor back in the sixties. By the standards of the day, he wasn't the sort of avowed racist like George Wallace or Lester Maddox, though he represented a go-slow, old guard slice of Memphis and mishandled the sanitation workers strike in 68.

Keep in mind that Herenton is well into his 3rd four year term and is running for no. 4--that'll be 16 yrs. as mayor.

I still say that one of the best things politcally to come out of Memphis in the 90's was when Dick Hackett--the last white mayor of Memphis who lost to Herenton by 200 or so votes--didn't call for a recount, realizing that that would lead to racial polarization and, if successful, charges that he stole the election.

I think Herenton ought to be similarly civic-minded and bow out for the greater good.

There's some interesting group of young people (under 40), black and white, that I've read about that has formed (not MPact) to focus attention on up and coming political leaders.

I will agree that he was good for Memphis at one point. Today I feel his credibilty is shot. I've lived here almost 4 years now and everyone I know dislikes this man and what he has become.

I personally don't care if the next mayor of Memphis is black or white as long as that person can actually see and describe a Memphis of the future. Right now I don't think Herenton can do that.

Herenton can be called alot of things but a racial separatist isn't one of them. I don't recall him ever saying anything racist.

From reading the letters to the editor in the newspaper on a daily basis, there are many who think that Herenton is racially separating the city. I personally believe that this isn't true and that he's a pretty good mayor. The taxbase is dwindling due to suburban flight and this is the cause of less revenue and services. I'm sure everyone would agree that crime and schools should be better, but these things take time. I'm very frustrated by the crime situation, but I know that everyone has different solutions (mayor, city council, etc.) and that politics is a slow process. With that being said, I also think that he's worn out his welcome with some of the ridiculous statements that he's made over the last couple of years.

The only possible person I could see running as the Mayor of Memphis that i would vote for would probably be AC Wharton, he seems like a stand up guy that would get things done.

Can anyone think of a possible candidate for mayor that would be good for the city?

The only possible person I could see running as the Mayor of Memphis that i would vote for would probably be AC Wharton, he seems like a stand up guy that would get things done.

Can anyone think of a possible candidate for mayor that would be good for the city?

Of course, AC Wharton. George Flynn (the millionaire doctor who owns 15 radio stations and lost the county mayoral battle to Wharton) would be a good candidate IMO because of his business expertise. I think Harold Ford, Jr. would do a pretty decent job. Those are the only people I think stand a chance at defeating Herenton.

Fred Smith CEO of Fedex. He's done a great job w/ that company and does some work for the state, like making the DMV more efficient. He could get our budget in good shape.

I haven't lived in Memphis in decades, so the only political figures I hear about are those who make the news--generally in a bad way.

Fred Smith would be great and I think he'd be elected. But why would he want the grief?

Chumney seems to be a grandstander--forget her.

I think Cohen could have been a good mayor. But he's running for congress. While I support him there, maybe he'll lose and . . . . .run for mayor.

Wharton would be great I think.

How about Carol Johnson--the superintendent of schools? I read she's doing a pretty good job with the schools though, so I'd hate to see her leave.

Ideally, I'd like to see someone--white or black--who wasn't forged in the Memphis racial polarization of the 60's and 70's, and who can go beyond the white mantra that "blacks have ruined the city" or the black mantra that "whites are oppressing us".

Herenton went beyond that and was a unifying force in the city in the 90's.

Wharton could certainly do it.

Of course, AC Wharton. George Flynn (the millionaire doctor who owns 15 radio stations and lost the county mayoral battle to Wharton) would be a good candidate IMO because of his business expertise. I think Harold Ford, Jr. would do a pretty decent job. Those are the only people I think stand a chance at defeating Herenton.

Ford, Jr., might well make a good mayor. I just think it's time for Memphis to move off of that political dynasty. The Fords are old stuff, let's think ahead. I say that even though I'd vote for him for the Senate.

Let's get some new blood.

From reading the letters to the editor in the newspaper on a daily basis, there are many who think that Herenton is racially separating the city. I personally believe that this isn't true and that he's a pretty good mayor. The taxbase is dwindling due to suburban flight and this is the cause of less revenue and services. I'm sure everyone would agree that crime and schools should be better, but these things take time. I'm very frustrated by the crime situation, but I know that everyone has different solutions (mayor, city council, etc.) and that politics is a slow process. With that being said, I also think that he's worn out his welcome with some of the ridiculous statements that he's made over the last couple of years.

Right. Crime and high taxes are causing suburban expansion at the expense of the city.

Having said that, while I don't think Herenton is "racially separating the city", unfortunately, many whites will attribute those problems to Herenton because he's black. His having a kid out of wedlock in his 60's just contributed to negative stereotypes.

I think Cohen could have been a good mayor. But he's running for congress. While I support him there, maybe he'll lose and . . . . .run for mayor.

How about Carol Johnson--the superintendent of schools? I read she's doing a pretty good job with the schools though, so I'd hate to see her leave.

I don't know how I forgot about Steve Cohen, he would be the perfect candidate for mayor. Dr. Carol Johnson is more of an educator IMO. I don't think she has what it takes to fight the different poliltical battles that brew in the city of Memphis. Thats not to put her down or anything, I just think she's somewhat passive in the way that she approaches different situations.

You're right about Carol Chumney though, I think she just does and says what she thinks everyone would want her to say and do. The word is.......puppet :whistling:

I agree with several others...Herenton was good in his first 4-6 years as mayor. He proved to white Memphians that having a black mayor didn't mean they were all screwed. He also acted as a political buttress to the Ford machine. But he was elected in 1991 and is in the middle of his 4th term. That's more than enough. He's become a poster boy for all the local "miserables" who sit around and talk about how the city is rotting away. A new face would at least give people the sense of a fresh start.

As to who could replace Herenton...it would almost certianly have to be an African-American. I simply don't see the black political leaders and opinion-makers in this city rallying behind a white candidate. That kind of trust simply does not exist, and too many blacks would see it as surrendering power after decades of struggling to gain control.

I think Harold Ford, Jr. would have a good chance of ousting Herenton if he chose to run. Another name I've heard mentioned is Herman Morris, the former MLGW president. Either of those two would represent a refreshing change.

I think it should be someone under the age of 40. Voting for someone based on the color of their skin is silly and I think the younger generation would be much more successful at getting away from this problem. Memphis doesn't really have a race problem outside politics.

I don't know about Flynn. I don't know what he stands for. All I really know about him is he followed his advisors' advice in the election and ran an intensely negative campaign that embarrassed many Republicans. Afterwards he kind of backed away from the statements, but it made me unsure about everything about him. He may not be as bad of a guy as he presented himself during the election, but what are his genuine beliefs.

Maybe Hyde or Jernigan.

Needs to be someone who focuses on education and crime, and aggressively promotes Memphis as a great place to relocate either a family or a business. I really appreciate that aspect of Herenton. It seems like he thought the world of Memphis, thought it had world-class potential. At one point he asserted that Memphis should think about eventually (like 20 years down the road) pursuing the Olympics and start putting the pieces together now. His focus on a world-class Memphis seemed a little narrow, though (mainly sports), from my very limited knowledge. I don't know how he was behind the scenes about trying to lure other things, I know Memphis tried to lure the 7E7 and helped Marion in their auto plant quest, but that could've been others really pushing those aspirations. Nevertheless, he with many business leaders set a tone of higher expectations for the city. We need a new mayor that will make help Memphis make similar if not greater strides and advances in various areas of the community.

Too bad Herenton also thought as highly of himself as he thought of the city and wasn't shy about that either.

Voting for someone based on the color of their skin is silly and I think the younger generation would be much more successful at getting away from this problem. Memphis doesn't really have a race problem outside politics.

I certainly agree with the first sentence. Unfortunately, there's not enough of the younger generation engaged in the political process to overcome racially-polarized politics. Not yet, anyway. And there are a small number of power-brokers in this city that seem to hold undue influence over how certain segments of the poplulation votes.

Having the right mayor can make such a big difference in the direction and attitude of a city. I really respect what Bredesen did for Nashville, following in the footsteps of old-time politician Richard Fulton and then the comically corrupt (and inept) Bill Boner. Perhaps Harold Ford, Jr. would be the right guy. He's young and energetic. He is also far more acceptable to most whites than the rest of his family, or Herenton.

I don't know about Flynn. I don't know what he stands for. All I really know about him is he followed his advisors' advice in the election and ran an intensely negative campaign that embarrassed many Republicans. Afterwards he kind of backed away from the statements, but it made me unsure about everything about him. He may not be as bad of a guy as he presented himself during the election, but what are his genuine beliefs.

I agree, Clobber. I thought Flynn had a horribly run campaign. It created such a contrast with the classy A.C. Wharton that even a "white Republican devil" like me (Harold Ford, Senior's words) couldn't bear to vote for Flynn. He really turned me off by coming out against building FedExForum, which led me to believe he considered downtown redevelopment a waste of money.

Archived