Mayor Herenton

soverbey

Do you believe Mayor Herenton is good or bad for the city of Memphis?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. W.W. Herenton: good or bad?

• Good for Memphis
    • Bad for Memphis
    • not sure

I also think Herenton has outlived his usefulness. I don't care who is the next mayor (hopefully a republican), just someone that can get the budget back in order in this city and not have to cut back on the police, fire, etc, or raise taxes. One thing the mayor could try is cut back on his own administration. Its proven if you cut taxes there will be more jobs therefore getting more people which keeps your budget in check. One example is the US economy right now which just recently had its 2nd highest surplus thanks to Bush cutting taxes. But our city is so lucky to have a mayor that raises taxes and therefore people start moving out and we lose money. But hey thats what you get with a black democratic mayor that thinks he was "appointed by god" to run this city. I'm not saying he was any worse than some of the other mayors of Memphis, but he's just as bad.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think Herenton has outlived his usefulness. I don't care who is the next mayor (hopefully a republican), just someone that can get the budget back in order in this city and not have to cut back on the police, fire, etc, or raise taxes. One thing the mayor could try is cut back on his own administration. Its proven if you cut taxes there will be more jobs therefore getting more people which keeps your budget in check. One example is the US economy right now which just recently had its 2nd highest surplus thanks to Bush cutting taxes. But our city is so lucky to have a mayor that raises taxes and therefore people start moving out and we lose money. But hey thats what you get with a black democratic mayor that thinks he was "appointed by god" to run this city. I'm not saying he was any worse than some of the other mayors of Memphis, but he's just as bad.

I'm not sure if being "black" was relevant in the result of people moving out. Democratic and thoughts of annointing, yes, perhaps those are relevant.

I just hope that the next mayor sees Memphis' world-class potential and nurtures it, instead of stifling it. It's time for Memphis to take the next step in creating its image and promoting itself. (S)He should also steer away from divisive politics.

Like many of you, I thought the Mayor did a great job the first couple of terms, but we need someone with a fresh perspective. Personally I think that his administration has hired too many incompetent people. Trying to get the city to act on anything is nearly impossible.

I think Wharton would do a terrific job. Now that county elected offices have term limits, I could see him running for city mayor in the near future. I would not be surprised if the 3 county commissioners who couldn't run for re-election decided to run for Mayor. But I think that fighting the term limits indicates that they are more concerned with having political power than what is best for the city.

I couldn't imagine that either Ford Jr or Cohen would do it...its a step backwards on their political paths.

I wouldn't think that a CEO like Fred Smith or Jernigan would abandon his company to run for mayor.

Did flinn ever win an election? I thought he was appointed after another commissioner left. Although clearly intelligent, he doesn't seem to have the foresight and patience to allow a good plan to come to fruition. I only say this because he seemed to change radio station formats every six months each time a station was on the verge of becoming successful.

Chumney would be the worst thing ever to happen to Memphis. I like that she is very fiscally conservative, but she goes overboard by opposing spending money on investments that move the city forward like prosecutor salaries and light rail.

I don't think age or race should really be a factor, but I think that law school or business school is a must nowdays. The city needs to run on a very tight budget with as few people in administration as possible. Like CEOs of public company, heads of departments should be paid based on performance. (for example, MLGW leadership should get a very small salary, but a very high bonus for every percentage point the rates are below the national average).

Also, lowering sales and property taxes should be a top priority. There is more than enough money in proper enforcement of city codes to make up the difference. Enforcement againse even minor offenses like littering and parking cars in yards would definitely clean up the city, let criminals know that the city means business, and generate money for the city. If criminals don't like the tough enforcement, they should move out of the city, instead of driving law abiding people out.

Like CEOs of public company, heads of departments should be paid based on performance. (for example, MLGW leadership should get a very small salary, but a very high bonus for every percentage point the rates are below the national average).

I agree with much of what you say regarding the candidates.

Unfortunately, imho your public company comparison isn't always true. The directors and CEO's of too many public companies tend to grease each other's palms regardless of the financial health of the company.

I agree with much of what you say regarding the candidates.

Unfortunately, imho your public company comparison isn't always true. The directors and CEO's of too many public companies tend to grease each other's palms regardless of the financial health of the company.

Yeah, just look at how CEO's have fleeced Nortel, AIG, Computer Associates, Krispy Kreme, etc, receiving bonuses (5.7 from Nortel, 19.5 from AIG, 300 from CA, 1.6 from Krispy, all in millions), and then their companies having to restate earnings (1.2 Nortel, 3.9 AIG, 2.2 CA, all in Billions, with Krispy being 22 mill). None of the CEO's want to return the money. Not to mention Enron, Health South, Adelphia, etc.

Maybe public companies' CEO pay shouldn't be the model.

Small-moderate businesses is more like it.

I really meant that the pay should be tied to performance. For example The pay for MLGW's president and upper management should increase through bonuses as utility rates decrease below national averages. Currently there is no accountability for spending ratepayer money. There are no incentives for MLGW to be spendthrifts and strive to reduce rates.

http://smartcitymemphis.blogspot.com/2006/...-with-dose.html

Here's another reason its time for a new page in Memphis. We have one of the best downtowns in the nation and now its time to expand that to the rest of the city. As someone posted earlier, Downtown doesn't need anymore help and thats thanks to "King Willie." I honestly think he was a good mayor but lets just change (with someone as good or better please) and not someone who will take us a step back. Herenton's pride and optimism in the city is a great thing and the next mayor should copy that.

BTW US Highway 64 from Wolfchase to Desoto County is nicknamed "King Willie Blvd" by realtors because of the "exodus" of Memphians to Fayette County. I actually like that name lol. He deserves to have a road named after him.

• 2 weeks later...

http://smartcitymemphis.blogspot.com/2006/...-with-dose.html

Here's another reason its time for a new page in Memphis. We have one of the best downtowns in the nation and now its time to expand that to the rest of the city. As someone posted earlier, Downtown doesn't need anymore help and thats thanks to "King Willie." I honestly think he was a good mayor but lets just change (with someone as good or better please) and not someone who will take us a step back. Herenton's pride and optimism in the city is a great thing and the next mayor should copy that.

BTW US Highway 64 from Wolfchase to Desoto County is nicknamed "King Willie Blvd" by realtors because of the "exodus" of Memphians to Fayette County. I actually like that name lol. He deserves to have a road named after him.

Well they're starting to expand the revitalization efforts into Midtown (the Sam Cooper neighborhood/Binghampton?).

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid that Memphis will be following the same mayoral path for a while b/c too many of the citizens of Memphis do vote racially. I don't foresee people being able to look past the black/white issue. JMO. We do need a real business man/woman as mayor though. Memphis has to get out of the red and clean some things up.

I was reading somewhere that in the late 50s/60s, Atlanta and Memphis were about the same size and were basically sharing the crown for capital of the South; however, somewhere between then and now, Atlanta grew to nearly 5 million people, and Memphis with 1.2 million. I was at dinner last night, and we all agreed that the downfall of Memphis came with the whole I-40 debate coupled with the MLK shooting. It just put a bad light on the city, and that is probably a large contributing factor to why Memphis is only now beginning its great boom. Of course, you can also blame the old cotton/hardwood families who wanted sole control of Memphis and keeping their old ways rather than becoming innovative and showing interest in growth. This, in turn, can be viewed as similar to the Ford family along with Herenton. Corruption! Corruption! Corruption!

^I have another reason to add to the mix that has nothing to do with race or politics, and that is something simple... climate. Atlanta is nearly at 1,100 feet, Memphis barely above 250. Memphis is sweltering in the summer, combining the heat and humidity, and Atlanta is more temperate. I would think that might play a part in the city's development, too. Plus, I can't imagine where Memphis could have 5 million people living in that area, either.

Archived