How would a "Toyota" Change our lives?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bascially, what it did for Smyrna is put it on the map. Nissan has been here over twenty years and has made a huge impact. It allowed the airport/base to transform into the third largest airport in Tennessee. Nissan boosted the population from the mid teens in the eighties to now over 35,000 residents. I think anytime a major manufacturing plant hits an area, the impact will be on a grand scale for years to come. We are seeing a diverse population arise and much more infill as well. With new residents new roads, new schools, and commercial/retail development follows---the dominoe effect. If, no, when Chattanooga lands the Toyota plant, this will not only be a huge success, but very Chattanooga, if you've been keeping up with this city's complete transformation. The keys to landing this thing is regional stability and presence, an area that has an abundance of young professionals/educated individuals, and the most important factor, relatively inexpensive yet efficient labor production.

Saturn also basically put Spring Hill on the map. Spring Hill has now tranformed into the fastest growing city in Tennessee. The population when Saturn came was less than 1,000. It is expected to reach 45,000 by 2010.

Having said that, I don't think landing the Toyota plant at Enterprise will have quite the same effect to SE Tennessee...at least not at first. At first, it will provide some of the highest paying jobs in the region, that's for sure. There will an economic boom for the entire region. Labor wages for some competing industries may have to rise in order to compete for good labor. There will be people moving into the area to get some of these higher paying jobs. I work at McKee Foods, and the possibility exists that wages will have to be boosted there to try to keep the highest possible quality workforce there. There will be a ripple effect throughout the entire region.

Some auto parts companies will elect to build plants in SE Tennessee, but this effect may be less than what happened for both the Saturn and Nissan plants. Japanese auto plants already have numerous parts suppliers located near Chattanooga. The biggest impact may be seeing expansions of existing plants that would be suppliers to a Toyota Plant in Chattanooga.

Possibly, the biggest impact will be the boost in image of the Chattanooga area as an up and coming place to live. Already, many have recognized Chattanooga's great progress in reinventing itself, and enhancing the quality of life here. However, many still have the impression that Chattanooga has become a great place to live, but it doesn't have that many job opportunities. Landing Toyota would do wonders to changing that perception. It could just be the catalyst that is needed to jump start the next Tennessee boom area!

If people in Atlanta who have become disenchanted with the seemingly endless suburban sprawl and outrageous traffic snarls that exist there ever "discover" the Chattanooga area as the best place to "escape", look out!

By the way, I see tremendous growth in Bradley county with a move by Toyota to Enterprise South. Many will discover Cleveland and its surrounding area, and decide that's where they want to live.

By the way, I see tremendous growth in Bradley county with a move by Toyota to Enterprise South. Many will discover Cleveland and its surrounding area, and decide that's where they want to live.

Since Enterprise South is basically on the Hamilton/Bradley county line. If enough people commuted from Bradley to Hamilton whould that make Bradley part of Chattanooga's MSA instead of its own? My understanding is that Bradley has its own because more people commute from Polk to Bradley, than from Bradley to Hamilton. I could see a Major Plant locating here resulting in Bradley, Meigs and McMinn county being added to Chattanooga's MSA. Rather than being part of a CSA

I see a potential job opprotunity for myself if Toyta comes to Enterprise South. I just graduated with my masters from UTC in Industrial/Organizational psychology, and am looking for an HR job in the area. While it is a wonderful area to live in, the job opportunities for my specialization are not as promising as other areas like Nashville or Atlanta. With more and more companies moving here, I think that I should be able to land something good. Hankster, do you happen to know a Chaleeta Arender or a Brett Senetz? They both work @ McKee too.

I think the impact would be huge for SETN, and add a lot of synegy to the region around Hamilton/Bradley Counties.

As for the impact questions. I think the area could see a substantial residential and commerical boom follow the plant to service the new demand created by it and its workers, as well as healthy infusion of economic activity into other smaller industries that might service the plant short of full-blown dedicated parts plants, ie. "Tool and Die" shop type operations might expand in the area.

I pretty much agree with everything Hansker said. :thumbsup:

@Habenero - I can move this thread if you want, just PM me.

Here is My take on what will happen:

With the location of Enterprise South being in East Hamilton County most of the sustained growth from the Toyota development will be in East of the Tennessee River in Hamilton County, Bradley County will see growth in Cleveland and in the County with a focus around Exit 20 and area west of Exit 20 back toward Hamilton County. Those communities known as McDonald and Bancroft are accessed directly from Hwy 11/64 (Lee Hwy, South Lee Hwy) connecting Ooltewah with Cleveland. Catoosa Co in Georgia will also see a major impact from this development with connections to the development from the interstate system plus Ooltewah-Ringgold Rd. Ringgold should begin to see residential growth over on the east end of Catoosa County while Ft Oglethorpe will continue to grow at an amazing clip.

The Hamilton County infrastructure is pretty weak on the east side of the county with many narrow 2 lane roads, inadequate school space, fire service and medical facilities. Some upgrades are being made even now, but there will still be many deficiencies exposed when the growth begins to hit. Catoosa and Bradley Counties have their own problems historically being rural counties. Both are already growing and dealing with their own growth pains even without Toyota. Once the plant is up and running with a couple thousand employees the 3 counties will be playing catch-up for a few years to come, and it will show.

With growth already taking place in the whole area the boost from Toyota will be like nothing seen in a long time. Hamilton County could easily see a population increase from the 310,000 range on up to 350,000-375,000 in the next 20 years while Bradley County could eclipse the 2025 projection of 130,000 a bit early. Catoosa County GA is already expecting population growth to be pretty crazy and this sure wont help it slow down. Catoosa County could hit a population as high as 125,000 or more in the next 20 years.

Impact in the area will be something like this

Here is My take on what will happen:

With the location of Enterprise South being in East Hamilton County most of the sustained growth from the Toyota development will be in East of the Tennessee River in Hamilton County, Bradley County will see growth in Cleveland and in the County with a focus around Exit 20 and area west of Exit 20 back toward Hamilton County. Those communities known as McDonald and Bancroft are accessed directly from Hwy 11/64 (Lee Hwy, South Lee Hwy) connecting Ooltewah with Cleveland. Catoosa Co in Georgia will also see a major impact from this development with connections to the development from the interstate system plus Ooltewah-Ringgold Rd. Ringgold should begin to see residential growth over on the east end of Catoosa County while Ft Oglethorpe will continue to grow at an amazing clip.

The Hamilton County infrastructure is pretty weak on the east side of the county with many narrow 2 lane roads, inadequate school space, fire service and medical facilities. Some upgrades are being made even now, but there will still be many deficiencies exposed when the growth begins to hit. Catoosa and Bradley Counties have their own problems historically being rural counties. Both are already growing and dealing with their own growth pains even without Toyota. Once the plant is up and running with a couple thousand employees the 3 counties will be playing catch-up for a few years to come, and it will show.

With growth already taking place in the whole area the boost from Toyota will be like nothing seen in a long time. Hamilton County could easily see a population increase from the 310,000 range on up to 350,000-375,000 in the next 20 years while Bradley County could eclipse the 2025 projection of 130,000 a bit early. Catoosa County GA is already expecting population growth to be pretty crazy and this sure wont help it slow down. Catoosa County could hit a population as high as 125,000 or more in the next 20 years.

Impact in the area will be something like this

• 3 months later...

All right, I'm a bit timid about mentioning this, but it does come from a very reliable source. Last week, I had dinner with a client who owns a large metal fabricating company in Chattanooga. The subject of the Toyota site selection came up, and his reply was a bit surprising to me. He said that the Enterprise South site has met all of Toyota's criteria. Also, he acknowledged that the state's revised incentives were passed by the legislature specifically to lure the company. The last thing he said was that they are now waiting to see who wins the US Senate seat to be vacated by Frist. He said that he knows without a doubt that if Corker wins, then they will go to Enterprise South. If Ford wins, then they'll look at the runners up.

I was reluctant to bring this up b/c it relates to politics. Also, those who have read my posts in the past will know that I have been a lifelong Democrat. So it doesn't make me feel especially good to relay this info. However, this man is a reliable community leader and he's not just a political bullsh*ter. I thought I'd pass it along for your own consumption.

The only connection I can make b/n Corker and Toyota's decision would be that Democrats are strong supporters of the UAW. Still, Bredesen is a Democrat (Go figure!).

All right, I'm a bit timid about mentioning this, but it does come from a very reliable source. Last week, I had dinner with a client who owns a large metal fabricating company in Chattanooga. The subject of the Toyota site selection came up, and his reply was a bit surprising to me. He said that the Enterprise South site has met all of Toyota's criteria. Also, he acknowledged that the state's revised incentives were passed by the legislature specifically to lure the company. The last thing he said was that they are now waiting to see who wins the US Senate seat to be vacated by Frist. He said that he knows without a doubt that if Corker wins, then they will go to Enterprise South. If Ford wins, then they'll look at the runners up.

I was reluctant to bring this up b/c it relates to politics. Also, those who have read my posts in the past will know that I have been a lifelong Democrat. So it doesn't make me feel especially good to relay this info. However, this man is a reliable community leader and he's not just a political bullsh*ter. I thought I'd pass it along for your own consumption.

The only connection I can make b/n Corker and Toyota's decision would be that Democrats are strong supporters of the UAW. Still, Bredesen is a Democrat (Go figure!).

Corker is from east Tennessee, isn't he? That might explain it. If Ford wins, maybe they go to west? It seems a little superficial of a reason . . . But Ford is a blue dog Dem, not a Kennedy/Pelosi liberal.

Corker is from east Tennessee, isn't he? That might explain it. If Ford wins, maybe they go to west? It seems a little superficial of a reason . . . But Ford is a blue dog Dem, not a Kennedy/Pelosi liberal.

No, Ford's voting record is not "Conservative" Blue Dog, it's doctrinaire liberal (lifetime Conservative rating of 19% from the ACU). He just pulls the Sasser schtick of pretending to be moderate or Conservative to fool the rubes around election time (though is at least smart enough to realize that TALKING radical left as the bulk of the Dems talk scares the straights, but he doesn't walk the walk when it comes to voting). Some of us know better. But don't look at this as an endorsement of liberal RINO Chattanooga Chafee Corker, he's equally repulsive and phony to me, not to mention unreliable, and has no grasp of the issues.

It's unfortunate if the business decisions for the plant turn on whom gets elected in November, but as they say, que sera sera.

Crockett County's TVA mega-site as far as I know is still on the Toyota short-list, so a West Tennessean as US Senator might draw it West as much as an East Tennessean as US Senator might draw it East, "IF" that is a factor for Toyota. As long as Tennessee gets it is all I am worried about, plus I think its just a matter of time before both sites (and grand divisions) get a major auto manufacturer or other large scale employer of similar magnitude.

I don't think political affiliation has much, if anything to do with it, but regionalism might.

Crockett County's TVA mega-site as far as I know is still on the Toyota short-list, so a West Tennessean as US Senator might draw it West as much as an East Tennessean as US Senator might draw it East, "IF" that is a factor for Toyota. As long as Tennessee gets it is all I am worried about, plus I think its just a matter of time before both sites (and grand divisions) get a major auto manufacturer or other large scale employer of similar magnitude.

I don't think political affiliation has much, if anything to do with it, but regionalism might.

I hope who wins the Senate race has absolutely nothing to do with which site is chosen. I'd be extremely disappointed if that were true, but it wouldn't surprise me either. No offense, West Tennessee, but that give just another reason to vote for Bob Corker. By the way, I think Bob Corker deserves much of the credit for the amazing turnaround to the better that Chattanooga has experienced over the past ten years.

I hope who wins the Senate race has absolutely nothing to do with which site is chosen. I'd be extremely disappointed if that were true, but it wouldn't surprise me either. No offense, West Tennessee, but that give just another reason to vote for Bob Corker. By the way, I think Bob Corker deserves much of the credit for the amazing turnaround to the better that Chattanooga has experienced over the past ten years.

I'm confused, what's the other reason that you were referring to again?

I hope the race nothing to do with it either.

I'm confused, what's the other reason that you were referring to again?

The other reason I was referring to the possibility that the Toyota site winner could be influenced by the Senate winner. Ford is from West Tennessee, and Corker is from Chattanooga (my town). The first was the fact that I think Corker is the better candidate.

• 3 weeks later...

The Chattanoogan.com posted an article yesterday that stated "City, County May Be Close To Landing Big Fish At Enterprise South" "Officials Tight-Lipped On Possible Prospect" The article basically states that the mayor has asked the City Council to spend $12500 (a month) for lobbying and legal work reguarding some very active prospects for Enterprise South." To get the money the contract with consultant Duane Smith of the Washington firm of Ackerman and Senterfitt will be canceled.

Very interesting news. Wonder if it is Toyota (hopefully), or maybe a new top-tier entity looking at the site.

Me too! I really think it could be Toyota. If so, this will have a profound effect on the Chattanooga area. Just look at the effect Nissan has had in Rutherford County and and Southeast Davidson county.

Archived