How would a "Toyota" Change our lives?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

There has been quite a lot of talk in the Chattanooga press of late about how the states of Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama are cooperating in helping Enterprise South land a large manufacturing complex. Word is the entire area expects to benefit, and all the states are showcasing large industrial areas in the region that could support part supplying plants. It all seems as if a "big" announcement is not too far off.

Saw the TFP at the newsstand tody that Chattanooga's number of college grads is higher than the national average. That's very impressive for a smaller southern city. But then, I've never thought that Chatty ever seemed to be on the low end of that spectrum. It's no redneck town.

Saw the TFP at the newsstand tody that Chattanooga's number of college grads is higher than the national average. That's very impressive for a smaller southern city. But then, I've never thought that Chatty ever seemed to be on the low end of that spectrum. It's no redneck town.

The folks here at the Cleveland/Bradley chamber are currently working hard to make sure they are prepared for any rush this development will cause. Cleveland and Bradley County currently have 3 industrial areas where factories could locate, but not a lot of acreage. Because of this the current task here is to make sure the available land is truly available and ready for building, plus they are looking for more build able land around existing industrial areas for further expansion if needed. Local officals are hoping for big things.

All right, I'm a bit timid about mentioning this, but it does come from a very reliable source. Last week, I had dinner with a client who owns a large metal fabricating company in Chattanooga. The subject of the Toyota site selection came up, and his reply was a bit surprising to me. He said that the Enterprise South site has met all of Toyota's criteria. Also, he acknowledged that the state's revised incentives were passed by the legislature specifically to lure the company. The last thing he said was that they are now waiting to see who wins the US Senate seat to be vacated by Frist. He said that he knows without a doubt that if Corker wins, then they will go to Enterprise South. If Ford wins, then they'll look at the runners up.

I was reluctant to bring this up b/c it relates to politics. Also, those who have read my posts in the past will know that I have been a lifelong Democrat. So it doesn't make me feel especially good to relay this info. However, this man is a reliable community leader and he's not just a political bullsh*ter. I thought I'd pass it along for your own consumption.

The only connection I can make b/n Corker and Toyota's decision would be that Democrats are strong supporters of the UAW. Still, Bredesen is a Democrat (Go figure!).

There has been quite a lot of talk in the Chattanooga press of late about how the states of Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama are cooperating in helping Enterprise South land a large manufacturing complex. Word is the entire area expects to benefit, and all the states are showcasing large industrial areas in the region that could support part supplying plants. It all seems as if a "big" announcement is not too far off.

I really do hope that big announcement is getting closer, because it will be big day for Tennessee. I'm excited and I live on the other end of the state. LOL

When the Governor was at the Cates Landing Riverport ground-breaking in Lake County a couple of weeks ago he mentioned efforts to get Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee working together more closely on Enterprise South. He stated that he was trying to get the three states to work as closely together as Obion, Lake, and Dyer counties have on the Cates Landing Riverport, which is pretty much on a unprecedented level in the state. Hopefully, everybody will get on board and work that closely on Ent. South, because if they do I can vouch from whats going on up here with our port, that VERY good things can come from it. The micro and macro effects of landing a Toyota, or Toyota level, plant could be really magnified if everybody gets on the same page.

I would assume you are refering to Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri working together in promoting the Cates Landing Riverport site. When states cooperate together, it's sure to mean great things for the region. Here's hoping that Cates Landing Riverport and Enterprise South are smashing successes due to this collaborative effort.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Huh....so why was there a short list without a Canadian site even being listed......weird. The story is not currently up, but when I did a news search it popped as a link to the same article listed by flith with a short blurb saying they chose Canada. Oh well....apparently the South loses....to Canada.....again.....

Eh thats life. Maybe next time if this turns out to be true.

On a side note, why is the story down? Its not even listed on the front page...could this have been a bad story or one released to soon?

I have decided this is a false alarm. I think the Chattanoogan.com might have done some bad reporting off a CBC report talking about the plant announced awhile back for Ontario, which would be the second...this plant would have made its 3rd. I did some research on plant locations, and Toyota has had an assembly line in Ontario since 1988.

So we all can back to being hopeful!

I have decided this is a false alarm. I think the Chattanoogan.com might have done some bad reporting off a CBC report talking about the plant announced awhile back for Ontario, which would be the second...this plant would habe made its 3rd. I did some research on plant locations, and Toyota has had a assembly line in Ontario since 1988.

So we all can back to being hopeful!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pulling for Chattanooga. Chattanooga landing this plant would benefit the state and all Tennesseans much more than it going to Arkansas, where we could only hope for spillover feeder plants in western division. Tennessee needs to land this plant to give momentum and credibility to our state's economic recruitment endeavors, lend us credibility with other major manufactureres as an attractive state in which to do business, and further cement our place as a major center of auto related operations. I am hopeful Chattanooga is going to land this.

I'm pulling for Chattanooga. Chattanooga landing this plant would benefit the state and all Tennesseans much more than it going to Arkansas, where we could only hope for spillover feeder plants in western division. Tennessee needs to land this plant to give momentum and credibility to our state's economic recruitment endeavors, lend us credibility with other major manufactureres as an attractive state in which to do business, and further cement our place as a major center of auto related operations. I am hopeful Chattanooga is going to land this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived