How would a "Toyota" Change our lives?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attended a dinner party on Saturday, and there was the CFO of a large energy concern that serves the Chattanooga region there. He said that the plant will not be going to Chattanooga. And the folks on the Memphis board are citing reports that say it's going to Tupelo, MS. I guess Toyota thought that the product quality problems that Nissan experienced were of much less importance than the huge chunk of incentives that MS is offering.

I attended a dinner party on Saturday, and there was the CFO of a large energy concern that serves the Chattanooga region there. He said that the plant will not be going to Chattanooga. And the folks on the Memphis board are citing reports that say it's going to Tupelo, MS. I guess Toyota thought that the product quality problems that Nissan experienced were of much less importance than the huge chunk of incentives that MS is offering.

According to The Chattanoogan, the site choice is Tupelo, MS. An official announcement is coming tomorrow. This is a real bummer. I take real encouragement in the high praise the Enterprise South site received during this process. I really do beleive the site will land something big before too long.

Toyota Chooses Tupelo for New Assembly Plant

Also, I suspect that MS gave away the bank too, as they did for Nissan. If that's the case, then be glad that your state didn't do the same. Something will go at E.S.. There's always other mfrs looking, like the rumor about a year ago that BMW was looking, and the more recent one that Audi was looking. So don't give up Hankster.

Also, I suspect that MS gave away the bank too, as they did for Nissan. If that's the case, then be glad that your state didn't do the same. Something will go at E.S.. There's always other mfrs looking, like the rumor about a year ago that BMW was looking, and the more recent one that Audi was looking. So don't give up Hankster.

If Project Pinetree is still around, and if it is Audi or VW, we could possibly have a larger spin-off effect because of the limited supplier presence in the southeast. I'd love for my next VW TDI to be built in the states instead of Mexico or Europe.

Perhaps Enterprise South should be marketed to non-auto manufacturers. There aren't many that come up over time, and the focus could be aimed somewhere else. I don't know b/c I don't know enough about Chat. to know what its strategic strengths are.

• 5 months later...
I saw an article on Bloomberg today, no mention of Tennessee or Project Pine Tree, but VW did give confirmation that they are seriously considering a new North American plant. If a new plant is built they also stated that a headquarters move isn't out of the question. Chattanooga needs to get everyone onboard again!!! Maybe a new HQ for Nashville and, an autoplant for Chattanooga....I know wishful thinking.

All sounds good to me. Chattanooga gets a plant and Nashville lands another corporate HQ, which equals all of Tennessee winnig big under such a scenario. The greatest thing about the speculation like that is that is totally reasonable to assume such outcome could play out. That speaks volumns about our state.

Yep, this rumor has been circulating for some time and the spot of high-speculation (likelihood?) is in upstate SC... some are even handicapping the Anderson area. Regardless, I think the most recent "Toyota sweepstakes" showed how flatfooted the local officials in the Chattanooga area were when the the time for the real courting came along. According to my law associates in Chattanooga, Hamilton County and Chattanooga officials did things that made Toyota nervous. One member wanted to complicate the land sale to them to "help the poor" (whatever that meant)... and I heard that the response from one particular council member was in the form of a "threat to get the EPA involved in air quality testing" when in fact the property had already gone through extensive testing via the TVA mega (?) site evaluation process. Theoretically, the local officials made the Toyota officials nervous before Zach Wamp and the Bredesen administration swooped in and did their best to quell the jitters. Of course, Mississippi gave away pretty much the whole farm to lure them to Tupelo. From what I've heard (after the fact), Chattanooga actually had it before the Toyota folks got nervous and took a closer look at the NW Alabama/ NE Mississippi area. Hopefully, they've learned their lessons but there's a lot of competition out there for just a few of these plants.

I have heard that VW/Porsche is looking to be close to the BMW facility in SC. I'm aware that they are separate companies, but that's what I've heard. I've also heard that SC is willing to put up some big-time bucks for the plant. However, as far as I know, VW still has not made anything official about their search for an American plant. The exchange rates currently favor a plant, but that's such an emphemeral thing.

Yep, this rumor has been circulating for some time and the spot of high-speculation (likelihood?) is in upstate SC... some are even handicapping the Anderson area. Regardless, I think the most recent "Toyota sweepstakes" showed how flatfooted the local officials in the Chattanooga area were when the the time for the real courting came along. According to my law associates in Chattanooga, Hamilton County and Chattanooga officials did things that made Toyota nervous. One member wanted to complicate the land sale to them to "help the poor" (whatever that meant)... and I heard that the response from one particular council member was in the form of a "threat to get the EPA involved in air quality testing" when in fact the property had already gone through extensive testing via the TVA mega (?) site evaluation process. Theoretically, the local officials made the Toyota officials nervous before Zach Wamp and the Bredesen administration swooped in and did their best to quell the jitters. Of course, Mississippi gave away pretty much the whole farm to lure them to Tupelo. From what I've heard (after the fact), Chattanooga actually had it before the Toyota folks got nervous and took a closer look at the NW Alabama/ NE Mississippi area. Hopefully, they've learned their lessons but there's a lot of competition out there for just a few of these plants.

I have heard that VW/Porsche is looking to be close to the BMW facility in SC. I'm aware that they are separate companies, but that's what I've heard. I've also heard that SC is willing to put up some big-time bucks for the plant. However, as far as I know, VW still has not made anything official about their search for an American plant. The exchange rates currently favor a plant, but that's such an emphemeral thing.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw an article on Bloomberg today, no mention of Tennessee or Project Pine Tree, but VW did give confirmation that they are seriously considering a new North American plant. If a new plant is built they also stated that a headquarters move isn't out of the question. Chattanooga needs to get everyone onboard again!!! Maybe a new HQ for Nashville and, an autoplant for Chattanooga....I know wishful thinking.

Archived