Mercantile Bank to build on Riverfront?

GRDadof3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand why they don't just build one Large facility that will accompany their growth. What is the companies reasoning. I think it's great that they are trying to help the community by building in somewhat "blighted" areas. But building a bunch of low rise clone buildings will turn the near west side into Cascade Twp. Not help density, or the city much at all.

I still don't understand why they don't just build one Large facility that will accompany their growth. What is the companies reasoning. I think it's great that they are trying to help the community by building in somewhat "blighted" areas. But building a bunch of low rise clone buildings will turn the near west side into Cascade Twp. Not help density, or the city much at all.

Bottom line, it is much cheaper to build 4 - 5 stories, than 15 - 20 stories. And because Grand Rapids are not into building "trophy" buildings, cost and function take precidence over form.

Even putting the parking the underground, in say 2 levels, and having the two buildings form a sort of campus would have been nice. You could still have a few spaces above ground, but it would have appeared more dense. Poor planning, poor building strategy IMO. This could still look really great, even as lowrise buildings. It's just all that parking that gets me.

Even putting the parking the underground, in say 2 levels, and having the two buildings form a sort of campus would have been nice. You could still have a few spaces above ground, but it would have appeared more dense. Poor planning, poor building strategy IMO. This could still look really great, even as lowrise buildings. It's just all that parking that gets me.

you can't put 2 levels of parking in that area. The North side of GR in the river basin has bed rock at a very low depth. They actually hit it while building the existing Mercentile Building. Its about 13' in the ground of so. The foundation sits right on it. I-96 is about the cut off for where the foundation of taller buildings changes. This is why the JW marriot, Riverfront Building Expansion, and Alticor parking deck had pile foundations. That entire area is poor ground to build on, its mostly fill from early in GR's life. North of I-96 you dont need expansive foundations but you are limited to the depth of your building.

Thanks baronium. A pet peave of mine.

Couldn't they have made the first couple of floors of the building parking? Not necessarily two UG levels of parking? That would have left them room to expand again if need be, without having to overpay for more riverfront property. Then they could have put in a pond/park on the Front St side for employees to enjoy (or something better than hot asphalt), or put a park on the river side.

you can't put 2 levels of parking in that area. The North side of GR in the river basin has bed rock at a very low depth. They actually hit it while building the existing Mercentile Building. Its about 13' in the ground of so. The foundation sits right on it. I-96 is about the cut off for where the foundation of taller buildings changes. This is why the JW marriot, Riverfront Building Expansion, and Alticor parking deck had pile foundations. That entire area is poor ground to build on, its mostly fill from early in GR's life. North of I-96 you dont need expansive foundations but you are limited to the depth of your building.

Ah, I didn't realize the bedrock was so close to the surface.

As far as I can tell, they are still going to build the same god awlful building, just a little further away from the river's edge. It's still going to have the same in-front parking lot that was there in the first place! The city totally waived the requirement to have the lot on the side or at the rear of the building.

Great Job guys. Nice to know all that master plan stuff is going to great use!

[sarcasm]

As far as I can tell, they are still going to build the same god awlful building, just a little further away from the river's edge. It's still going to have the same in-front parking lot that was there in the first place! The city totally waived the requirement to have the lot on the side or at the rear of the building.

Great Job guys. Nice to know all that master plan stuff is going to great use!

[sarcasm]

Actually, in the minutes one of the Commissioners pointed out that in the Master Plan, residents of Grand Rapids preferred to have buildings along the riverfront pushed closer to the river, vs. having a parking lot on the river. Treating the river as the "street front". But they also wanted public access maintained or created in any new developments along the river.

Archived