Old Target on 28th Street and East Paris

MrsB918

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This question may have been answered in previous topics, but after a long search, I have yet to find the answer.

What is going to fill the spot of the old Target on 28th street and East Paris?

Whatever it is they will have contend with being located on the most dangerous intersection in Grand Rapids for the past year.

Whatever it is they will have contend with being located on the most dangerous intersection in Grand Rapids for the past year.

Yah - good report out today about those stats.

"Deadliest" intersection was 44th/Breton. I wonder if they did that study before they reworked that intersection last summer (I assumeed they did). No more left hand turns @ the intersection, have to make a Michigan turn in every direction.

According to Veloise, yes, they are moving from Wyoming. And judging by the facade, it looks like she is right.

Then what will replace that weird L-shaped store in Wyoming that takes up like half of the old Herpolsheimer's/Lazarus? Another Hobby Lobby or Burlington Coat Factory?

Then what will replace that weird L-shaped store in Wyoming that takes up like half of the old Herpolsheimer's/Lazarus?

Are you talking about the corner of Clyde Park and 44th? I didn't know that used to be a Herpolsheimer's. I thought they were downtown only.

Are you talking about the corner of Clyde Park and 44th? I didn't know that used to be a Herpolsheimer's. I thought they were downtown only.

Oh, whoops, my bad. The store on Clyde Park @ 44th is an old Hills. The old Herpolsheimer's was on 28th just west of Rogers Plaza; it's now a Value City (NOT Value City Furniture) and an Office Depot I think.

Oh, whoops, my bad. The store on Clyde Park @ 44th is an old Hills. The old Herpolsheimer's was on 28th just west of Rogers Plaza; it's now a Value City (NOT Value City Furniture) and an Office Depot I think.

Wasn't that originally a Steketee's store?

I thought Steketee's was over in Eastbrook Mall (still not used to whatever name it has now)? Or was there 2 on 28th at one time?

I don't know if there were ever two Steketee's on 28th; if there were, then the other one closed before 1991. I read something that said that six Steketee's were open in 1991.

* 200 Washington, Gd Haven

* Downtown Gd Rapids

* Downtown Holland - closed in the 1910's

* Holland Part II - opened in 1966, moved to Westshore in 1988

* Westshore Mall - now Dunham's Sporting Goods (this was the last Steketee's to close)

* Muskegon Mall - torn down

* Maple Hill Mall - torn down

* Eastbrook/Centerpointe Mall - torn down for Nordstrom Rack

The Value City on 28th st. is the Furniture store, that is the one moving to the old Target and is the weird L shaped one. The store on Clyde Park and 44th is the department store (next to an abandoned Family Fare?). As far as I know that store is staying put.

I thought Steketee's was over in Eastbrook Mall (still not used to whatever name it has now)? Or was there 2 on 28th at one time?

I'm racking my brain trying to remember. It was a department store by another name before it was a Hills. Back when I was wee little lad in the 70's. Back when Roger's Plaza had a Wards and a Turnstyles as anchor stores on both ends. The anchor store in Wyoming Village was another store before Hills came into the picture. First name that came to mind was Steketee's, but I'm not so sure now.

<edit>

Got the answer... The Value City was a Herpolsheimers. They abbreviated the name on the store front, however, so it was always known as "Herp's". From what I understood, the store was a Wurzburg's before that.

The Value City on 28th st. is the Furniture store, that is the one moving to the old Target and is the weird L shaped one. The store on Clyde Park and 44th is the department store (next to an abandoned Family Fare?). As far as I know that store is staying put.

I realize that, my mistake.

Rooms To Go is pretty big down here in Florida. Cindy Crawford does their ads.

Oh no, I thought I left them behind in Georgia. They screwed up my dining room table and chairs 5 times.

It didn't want to make me return.....ever..............

Archived