Wi Fi in downtown Raleigh!

RALBOI

Should Raleigh get Wi Fi internet Downtown, after all this is Technolina,what are the pluses and minuses to having this for the city comments please, i think i also just made a hell of a new name for the Triangle too HHUMMM!!!! TECHNOLINA! I LIKE THAT! Hey comments on the name too. :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should Raleigh get Wi Fi internet Downtown, after all this is Technolina,what are the pluses and minuses to having this for the city comments please, i think i also just made a hell of a new name for the Triangle too HHUMMM!!!! TECHNOLINA! I LIKE THAT! Hey comments on the name too. :D

Ive heard NC is one of the leading states in the nation with people hooked up with internet access whether its in the urban, suburban or rural areas. Might of been WRAL where i heard this from a few years back

There actually is sporadic "City of Raleigh" Wifi towards the southern end of downtown, notably around the Memorial Auditorium. Its very finicky when I've used it though. There is also a similar interface and SSID broadcasting for the cc construction site that provides access.

I'd like to see full scale coverage though, provided it didn't cost tax payers much.

However I'll say that I often need access to weather radar, and I know most good places around downtown that you can easily pull off or be in the vicinity of that provide adequate access in a pinch.

I used to think that at a minimum Fayetteville St and City Market should have it, but in fairness to other businesses the entire area that pays the additional downtown property tax (1/2% I think) should receive coverage. It is justified in a pay to play sort of way then that the rest of the city can't balk at.

According to this site Raleigh is the 5th most wired city in the US.

1. San Francisco, CA - 78.8 percent

2. Austin-San Marcos, TX - 76.5 percent

3. Oxnard-Ventura Counties, CA - 72.9 percent

4. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY - 72.7 percent

5. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC - 71.9 percent

link

According to this site Raleigh is the 5th most wired city in the US.

1. San Francisco, CA - 78.8 percent

2. Austin-San Marcos, TX - 76.5 percent

3. Oxnard-Ventura Counties, CA - 72.9 percent

4. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY - 72.7 percent

5. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC - 71.9 percent

link

Hey the list is from 2002. Does anyone have a more recent one.

Archived