Uptown skyshow to head to Knights Stadium

CATS should run several free bus lines to Ft. Mill from the downtown transit center for one night only.

Yeah, it would serve WBT right to give any troublemakers a free ride to Fort Mill.

I know name calling is against the rules, BUT this is a wussy move. WBT should be ashamed. On the other hand this is a good opp. for another local company to step in and show their commitment.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone else will come forward and host the event Uptown. In Atlanta, there are several fireworks displays on the 4th of July, in the city as well as the suburbs. It isn't hard to find a display near your home if you prefer that.

What does Center City Partners have to say about this? Since their sole purpose is to promote Uptown/City Center perhaps they have a plan in place to bring the show Uptown?

Is Pat McCroy really that silly? Who doesn't need good PR?

I hate to see it go, but I can understand why. I was there in downtown New Years of this year. The same behavior took place there (fighting in the square). That's no place for children to be. But consider this, would you pull it if both times you had a similar event, there was trouble in the streets?

It may be a few "unruly" hoodlums, but a few is enough to hurt a child or innocent bystanders.

Come on! If Atlanta, DC, etc. can manage crowd control, surely Charlotte can. Are the cops that wimpy in the QC? We could send some Bull City Po-Pos to the QC as I recommended for Apple Chill to handle the situation rather easily.

These incidents are overhyped by the local media and usually happen in some proportion at any event with a large number of people.

This is an opportunity for some corporation to enhance the show and provide appropriate security. 80,000+ people presents a great opportunity to advertise in my opinion.

Small town mentality if you ask me........

Small town mentality if you ask me........

For sure. There's a lot of that around here, especially once you get past the inner ring neighborhoods. WBT caters to that audience; you won't find a more vocal anti-transit outlet in this part of the state.

For sure. There's a lot of that around here, especially once you get past the inner ring neighborhoods. WBT caters to that audience; you won't find a more vocal anti-transit outlet in this part of the state.

per A2's posting of WBT's email... i sent them a letter of disappointment. not only about the firework display but also about the slanted view (IMO) of their station. 2 birds with one stone.

oh, BTW, i did thank them for the many years that they've provided the firework show. i can't believe that of all the corporations in charlotte... someone couldn't have co-sponsered this thing. i think it has more to with money than melee... i bet the charlotte, s.c. version will not be as spectacular b/c they will skimp on firework $.

Cinco, I wish I had been a little more kind with WBT. I simply ripped them a new one. I'm glad you thanked them for their sponsorship over the past 30 or so years.

I'm sure SkyShow 2006 will be a rousing success for York County residents. There's just nothing like seeing the fireworks over Baxter and Ft Mill Ford. No doubt patriotic Rock Hillians will be moved to tears over the spectacle.

Lest we forget that corporations only exist to make money for their shareholders. WBT's parent, Jefferson Pilot was acquired by new owner Lincoln National Corporation, which is a holding company in Indiana. This happened last March. Most likely their bean counters, who have had some time to look at the books, have determined the expense of continuing to hold the event in far off Charlotte is not worth the advertizing that it brings to one of their many radio stations. Hence no more fireworks.

The excuse they are giving, the "melee" is just that an excuse. That way they don't have to accept responsibility for the decision. Typical corporate behavior.

Cinco, I wish I had been a little more kind with WBT. I simply ripped them a new one. I'm glad you thanked them for their sponsorship over the past 30 or so years.

ha,ha. you know, i like to consider myself "fair & balanced".

Lest we forget that corporations only exist to make money for their shareholders. WBT's parent, Jefferson Pilot was acquired by new owner Lincoln National Corporation, which is a holding company in Indiana. This happened last March. Most likely their bean counters, who have had some time to look at the books, have determined the expense of continuing to hold the event in far off Charlotte is not worth the advertizing that it brings to one of their many radio stations. Hence no more fireworks.

The excuse they are giving, the "melee" is just that an excuse. That way they don't have to accept responsibility for the decision. Typical corporate behavior.

OK... you just did half the work for some investigative reporter @ the observer. nice digging... maybe too nice. :)

Well I guess I will be watching the Lake Norman fireworks this year at Queens Landing.

Well I for one might be joining you metro :)

The lake is definately a better alternative than Ft Mill (no offense to the residents of course)

A2

This could be a good thing if it forces Charlotte to focus on uptown safety issues. Crime and safety are legitimate concerns of people, and uptown Charlotte just doesn't strike a lot of people as safe: dark, deserted parking lots and homeless people lots of times, and unruly masses on July 4, don't help attract people uptown.

I kind of agree. Maybe a year without the fireworks will lead to some soul searching about what went wrong, and how to do it better.

There is already a perception in suburbia, that police are being taken away to handle too many "uptown events". This may dovetail a bit with the debate on a property tax increase to pay for police and safety.

Well Fox 18 did their typical reporting on this issue tonight and Steve Lyerly interviewed a CCCP spokesman who only said that when the Knights stadium is downtown, this would be a good place to light up some fireworks. This was the lead in story on their 10pm news. haha.

One wonders why they have not investigated the takeover by Lincoln National Corporation as to the real reason this event has left downtown. If Fox 18 was doing their job they would have sent Steve to Indiana to get the real scoop on what is happening. Of course we all know here what is going on.

The Ojays said it more than 30 years ago.

I wish half of the bozos commenting on the article on Charlotte.com realized that the fireworks show is being moved to Fort Mill, NOT ROCK HILL. I think a metro geography lesson is in order.

What's even funnier is the people on here that refer to Fort Mill preceding it with the words "all the way in" and "all the way to." For god sakes it's 15 miles from the center of Charlotte and takes 15 minutes when traffic is moving at a steady pace. Have people never driven out fo there 1/2 mile comfort circle? Something is wrong when people start refering to Fort Mill as "far away." But yet those people will still drive from Ballantyne to center city, which is actually a longer drive and probably more miles.

For god sakes it's 15 miles from the center of Charlotte and takes 15 minutes when traffic is moving at a steady pace.

I doubt any I-77 traffic will be moving at a steady pace that night though. The last few years I went to see the Carowinds fireworks, traffic had I-77 backed way up. Now, add Fort Mill (1.5 miles south) to the mix and it just might seem like waaaay out.

:unsure:

I doubt any I-77 traffic will be moving at a steady pace that night though. The last few years I went to see the Carowinds fireworks, traffic had I-77 backed way up. Now, add Fort Mill (1.5 miles south) to the mix and it just might seem like waaaay out.

:unsure:

Traffic wouldn't be moving at a steady pace anywhere that night. There is traffic everywhere in Charlotte. What's the difference if it's on 485 west, Independence or heading towards Fort Mill?

Just seems to me that no one would be complaining on this thread if it was to be held at say Carowinds rather than JUST over the state line.

Archived