Favorite downtown in North Carolina

Rwarky

What is your favorite NC downtown?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite NC downtown?

• Asheville
    • Charlotte
    • Winston Salem
    • Greensboro
    • Raliegh
    • Durham
    • Wilmington

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Charlottes but Raleighs is becoming very nice ....especially in the next 2 years. I choose Raleigh...Once you fall in love it is forever !!!

By the way Raleigh is spelled wrong

Asheville, followed by Charlotte, then Raleigh. Wilmington has a lot of potential, they just need more density and less surface parking lots.

Asheville, followed by Charlotte, then Raleigh. Wilmington has a lot of potential, they just need more density and less surface parking lots.

1) I'll go ahead and vote for Wilmington. Someone has to. The riverwalk, the minimalls, the music shops, and all the historic buildings (not to mention the good seafood) make it work. Last time we went there, it was absolutely packed.

2) Asheville deserves mention. It's especially great during Christmas, when all the lights are up, and the mountains in the background are covered with snow.

3) I have enjoyed walking along Tryon Street in Charlotte. It feels like you're in a much bigger city there. It could be any block in downtown Dallas or Denver, and it certainly looks the part.

4) I've enjoyed many a Bulls game in Durham. It may not have much of a skyline for its size, but it's still dense, and the amount of street retail is surprising. Hearing about all the great stuff this city is going to get, I'm pretty sure it'll be at the top of this list in a few years.

I voted Asheville because skyscrapers mean almost nothing to me. I LOVE Art Deco style and Asheville's downtown surrounded by mountains, plus the Asheville city hall make it the best looking. That is based on appearance, and I'm not sure who has the "most to do." In terms of that, it might not be the best choice, but I judge based on the quality of architecture and design more than other features... Asheville is my choice.

4) I've enjoyed many a Bulls game in Durham. It may not have much of a skyline for its size, but it's still dense, and the amount of street retail is surprising. Hearing about all the great stuff this city is going to get, I'm pretty sure it'll be at the top of this list in a few years.

I had to vote for Durham because I live here and because I figured no one else would. I like the skyline for what it is (sure, a few more 15-20 story buildings would be nice) but it's real charm is at the human scale. Plus I think Greensboro is the only other city with baseball team that plays downtown. I could be wrong on this.

If we're talking in terms of looking at it from far away, as in, a skyline-only perspective, then of course I would vote for Charlotte. That may be the most important thing to some folks, but not to me. The street-level environment in DT Charlotte is definitely up-and-coming, so come back in a decade and maybe it will take the cake, but for now there are way too many gaps and not enough contiguous street-level activity and variety of retail for CLT to win.

So, in 2006, what city has the best downtown in NC? I pick my hometown Asheville.

Hey i love Raleigh, but Charlotte wears her crown proudly in this poll Charlotte wins this right now, but i think Raleigh has alot more color and character because it has older digs, but when i rode into Charlotte and saw that awsome skyline i was like WOW THIS IS A BIG CITY!!, that's the image i have because they have leaders that planned well for their downtown, i get pissed off when i think about how Raleigh's former mayor Fetzer held our downtown political hostage ,this is when Charlotte really set alot of foundation for it's downtown growth in motion.

Archived