Wal-mart

I guess I'm a bit surprised no one hasn't already started some sort of Wal-mart topic. Anyway thought I'd start off by talking about their new upscale model store in Plano. KNWA has really been talking about it a lot lately. Maybe they're hoping we manage to get one like this somewhere up here. Sounds like they really put a lot of effort into this. It doesn't sound like a copy of a Target. The one thing that really surprised me was refrigerated dog food. :lol:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm a bit surprised no one hasn't already started some sort of Wal-mart topic. Anyway thought I'd start off by talking about their new upscale model store in Plano. KNWA has really been talking about it a lot lately. Maybe they're hoping we manage to get one like this somewhere up here. Sounds like they really put a lot of effort into this. It doesn't sound like a copy of a Target. The one thing that really surprised me was refrigerated dog food. :lol:

From the news I've read Wal-Mart doesn't intend to build another Plano store format anywhere else, "but if plasma TVs, microbrewery beer and fancy balsamic vinegar sell in Plano, those items could be added to stores in other affluent communities." I've noticed Wal-Mart in Rogers has much nicer bedding sets and my wife and I just bought a new queen bed at Big Lots and just bought the bedding for it at Wal-Mart. Between Big Lots selling high quality furniture for much less than furniture stores and Wal-Mart selling everything else for less than other discounters my family is able to live a better life. The biggest deal for us is that both Wal-Mart and Big Lots have layaways, which no other discounter or furniture store has. Escept the new Plano Wal-Mart doesn't do layaways.

I've been to the store in Plano. It is only marginally nicer, if at all different, than the new store at Chenal and Hwy 10 in West Little Rock. They sell sushi and have nicer women's shoes, otherwise my wife and I couldn't tell the difference.

They are really tryng to make an inroads into urban areas that have been resistant to Wal-Mart and generally prefer target. DFW is WM's number one market and I still have to pass 3 Targets to get to the nearest Wal-Mart. WM is SO dominant in rural and exurban America I think it is really trying to hit one of its last frontiers in infiltrating the more affluent parts of large metros.

I've been to the store in Plano. It is only marginally nicer, if at all different, than the new store at Chenal and Hwy 10 in West Little Rock. They sell sushi and have nicer women's shoes, otherwise my wife and I couldn't tell the difference.

They are really tryng to make an inroads into urban areas that have been resistant to Wal-Mart and generally prefer target. DFW is WM's number one market and I still have to pass 3 Targets to get to the nearest Wal-Mart. WM is SO dominant in rural and exurban America I think it is really trying to hit one of its last frontiers in infiltrating the more affluent parts of large metros.

I guess I haven't seen any of the 'nicer' Wal-marts. I've heard the new one in Rogers is supposed to be pretty nice but I don't know if it compares to either one you mentioned. But you are right about Wal-mart. If it wants to keep the growth going it's got to starts making more inroads to urban areas. Which of course have been more resistant to them. So Wal-mart is changing things up I guess. I've been a bit surprised there's been so much coverage of that one store in Plano up here. It was almost like they were making a big deal about it to hype up one of this type being put in up here in NWA.

I guess I haven't seen any of the 'nicer' Wal-marts. I've heard the new one in Rogers is supposed to be pretty nice but I don't know if it compares to either one you mentioned. But you are right about Wal-mart. If it wants to keep the growth going it's got to starts making more inroads to urban areas. Which of course have been more resistant to them. So Wal-mart is changing things up I guess. I've been a bit surprised there's been so much coverage of that one store in Plano up here. It was almost like they were making a big deal about it to hype up one of this type being put in up here in NWA.

The weird thing is, NWA doesn't need it as WM owns the competition there and Target is a distance second. I almost think building it there would be just to keep up morale with the home office employees or something. Where you can make a big inroads are the areas where you have heavy competition with Target. There is a Super Target directly across the street from that Plano Wal-Mart, BTW.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind waking up tomorrow to hear that every wal mart in the world mysteriously dissapeared.

Well, good luck trying to buy nail clippers, hamburger meat and buns, fluorescent light bulbs, and Dazed and Confused on DVD at 3 AM without it.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind waking up tomorrow to hear that every wal mart in the world mysteriously dissapeared.

:lol: I wondered how long before we got some negative posts from some people outside the NWA forum. I know it's not a popular subject for many. But I figured with the world's largest retailer that it was about time we had a topic to discuss what's going on with the compnay since it does play a very important part in our metro here.

They also have one of the nicest wine selections with a wine kiosk that tells you what foods to buy with your wine, no "action alleys", plus all Wal-Mart associates wear Wal-Mart Uniforms that include Khaki pants and a Wal-Mart Polo.

Thankyou for that unneeded comment. :D

The new Wal-Mart in south Rogers is identical to the Plano Wal-Mart except it doesn't yet carry quite as many upscale products as Plano and it doesn't have a sushi bar. The store design from the skylights to the earth toned floor tiles are identical. Of course that's going by pictures of the Plano Wal-Mart and not first hand experience. Wal-Mart is as much trying to add more upscale products to their exising stores in affluent neighborhoods as they are building new stores in affluent neighborhoods.

They also have one of the nicest wine selections with a wine kiosk that tells you what foods to buy with your wine, no "action alleys", plus all Wal-Mart associates wear Wal-Mart Uniforms that include Khaki pants and a Wal-Mart Polo.

I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice their uniforms.

The Super Targets around here have a wine aisle that's even more impressive. Central Markets have a wine collection as impressive as any in Arkansas. Wal-Mart's got a lot of catching up to do on the wine.

In Central Arkansas the WMs don't have wine unless it's local (Wiederkehr/Post Familie). Is it illegal to carry them or is it just the store's choice?

The weird thing is, NWA doesn't need it as WM owns the competition there and Target is a distance second. I almost think building it there would be just to keep up morale with the home office employees or something. Where you can make a big inroads are the areas where you have heavy competition with Target. There is a Super Target directly across the street from that Plano Wal-Mart, BTW.

Isn't there also a Costco across the street from the Plano Wal-Mart? I know that Wal-Mart views Costco as much of a threat as Target.

Isn't there also a Costco across the street from the Plano Wal-Mart? I know that Wal-Mart views Costco as much of a threat as Target.

Right across the Dallas North Tollway, a few blocks away.

Costco's a big rival for Sam's. In fact they are the number one "wholesale club". I've never been to one, there's not one near my house but there's a Sam's a half mile away.

The outcome of your little scenario is millions of people wake up tomorrow morning to find themselves unemployed, thousands of companies that sell products to Wal-Mart close down for good, Target's shelves are emptied by the end of the week and they are unable to stock them fast enough due to the company's smaller and less efficient distribution network, rioting in the streets occur as poor people all over the country protest high prices at Target and other so-called discount stores... stay tuned for more breaking news from CNN's "A World Without Wal-Mart".

The Super Targets around here have a wine aisle that's even more impressive. Central Markets have a wine collection as impressive as any in Arkansas. Wal-Mart's got a lot of catching up to do on the wine.

In Central Arkansas the WMs don't have wine unless it's local (Wiederkehr/Post Familie). Is it illegal to carry them or is it just the store's choice?

There are reports that the Plano Wal-Mart sells $500 bottles of wine. I don't think they have much catching up to do, but then I'm not much of a wine drinker. I do know that if they carry Kendall Jackson they're in good with my sister who normally shops at Target.

The way I understand it's state law. It used to be only lower level alcohol drinks like beer in grocery stores. But the wineries finally talked the state into supporting them at least a little by allowing Arkansas wineries into the grocery stores.

Sorry, I get fed this information at work, seeing as how I work for the corporate office. :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's state law, although I've heard that grocery stores are allowed to sell beer in them, including Wal-Mart. I think a few locations in Little Rock and Hot Springs sell Beer at their Wal-Marts.

Sorry, I get fed this information at work, seeing as how I work for the corporate office. :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's state law, although I've heard that grocery stores are allowed to sell beer in them, including Wal-Mart. I think a few locations in Little Rock and Hot Springs sell Beer at their Wal-Marts.

It's true.

Yeah, it's actually a mixture of state and local laws that allow/restrict the sale of beer and wine throughout the state. State law allows for beer to be sold in grocery and convenience stores unless there are local (city/county) laws or ordinances that prohibit it--as is the case throughout NWA. That's why you see beer available in grocery stores in many areas of the state, but not in others.

The Arkansas wine deal was enacted by the legislature a couple of years ago as a favor to the Arkansas wineries. It allows stores throughout the state to apply for an Arkansas Wine Permit to sell only 'native' wines. It is also what the US Supreme Court ruled was unconstitutional (in Michigan and New York cases) for states to enact laws favoring their own native wineries while not extending the same favors to out of state wineries (i.e. California wineries). Therefore, this law has to be modified or thrown out during the next legislative session. It will be interesting to see which way it goes. If it is tossed, basically nothing will change throughout the state--except for the fact that you will no longer be able to buy Arkansas wines anywhere besides the winery or liquor stores. If the law is kept, it must be modified to allow that all wines can be sold in any store who holds a wine permit. Obviously this would be a drastic change, meaning that the sale of all wine in the state would be regulated much like the sale of beer is now.

We don't have a Supertarget, we only have one target in Fayetteville.

Rumors of a Supertarget have circulated around this area for a while, especially in Rogers where several sites have been scoured. We have the Pleasant Crossing Sister Project and a Pinnacle Project which are prospectable sites. I think they are leaning more towards a regular target in NWA, seeing as how the Grocery Store Market is dominated by Harps and Wal-Mart. I'm not sure customers in Benton County would shop at a Supertarget, but I'm sure if we had a Kroger or Albertsons, it would be used.

We don't have a Supertarget, we only have one target in Fayetteville.

Rumors of a Supertarget have circulated around this area for a while, especially in Rogers where several sites have been scoured. We have the Pleasant Crossing Sister Project and a Pinnacle Project which are prospectable sites. I think they are leaning more towards a regular target in NWA, seeing as how the Grocery Store Market is dominated by Harps and Wal-Mart. I'm not sure customers in Benton County would shop at a Supertarget, but I'm sure if we had a Kroger or Albertsons, it would be used.

SuperTarget's prices are actually lower than Kroger and Albertson's. Way lower than Albertson's, actually. Albertson's is expensive as all hell. My parents shop there and it makes me so mad becuase they're poor and can't afford to do so.

And even though Wal-Mart has that market cornered, who knows... Target is getting more and more aggressive with their expansions, and are trying to get more share in markets dominated by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart stores have about 25% of the Dallas market cornered, but Target is working on it... slowly but surely they're gaining market share in that city with their SuperTarget stores and their Archer Farms Market brand (that's the grocery half of a SuperTarget.)

The Wal-Mart in Plano, as I recall, was said by Wal-Mart to be the only store you'll ever see like it. I was surprised they would make such a bold statement, because you know damn well that if the concept catches on, they'll be building them in every cosmopolitan city across the country.

On this subject, Wal-Mart is building their fifth Supercenter in the Shreveport-Bossier area. This store will revive an area in the central part of the city called Shreve City. This area was once the biggest shopping/dining district in all of Shreveport-Bossier, but over the past decade or so has become extremely blighted. There are still some decent stores over there, but they're mixed in with a Goodwill store, some nightclubs, a daiquiri store, and some other rundown businesses.

Now that Wal-Mart is building a store in the Shreve City area, some of the older businesses around there ae cleaning up their acts. They're remodeling and advertising again. There is a glimmer of hope to these struggling businesses, because none of them will be in major competition with Wal-Mart.

The new store has been described as "upscale," but no details have been given. I have a copy of the site plan for the store and it has a separate-entrance liquor store attached like Albertson's stores in this area have. But the main footprint of the store is reminiscent of a typical Wal-Mart Supercenter, so I don't know what amenities it will have to make it "upscale." I'm hoping it's nice, though, because SuperTarget is really getting the upscale market in the southern and central areas of the city.

"BUILD-YOUR-OWN AT WAL-MART

In yet another move aimed at attracting upscale customers, Wal-Mart says it will start selling build-your-own-computer components in more than one-third of its U.S. discount stores this month. With the build-your-own-computer counters, shoppers can choose between several different components, including processors, monitors and keyboards. Wal-Mart has been adding more upscale merchandise, such as flat-panel televisions and fashionable clothing, in an effort to attract more affluent shoppers."

From www.talkbusiness.net

Archived