Wal-mart

"BUILD-YOUR-OWN AT WAL-MART

In yet another move aimed at attracting upscale customers, Wal-Mart says it will start selling build-your-own-computer components in more than one-third of its U.S. discount stores this month. With the build-your-own-computer counters, shoppers can choose between several different components, including processors, monitors and keyboards. Wal-Mart has been adding more upscale merchandise, such as flat-panel televisions and fashionable clothing, in an effort to attract more affluent shoppers."

From www.talkbusiness.net

This concept it already in place at the South Rogers Wal-Mart. They also have a kiosk where you can buy music and burn it on a CD, a deli kiosk that allows you to leave orders and come back for them later, as well as a Wire Transfer/Money Order/Gift Card Reload Machine.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This concept it already in place at the South Rogers Wal-Mart. They also have a kiosk where you can buy music and burn it on a CD, a deli kiosk that allows you to leave orders and come back for them later, as well as a Wire Transfer/Money Order/Gift Card Reload Machine.

Hmmm... very interesting. Other retailers, take note. ;)

The Wal-Mart website has a place where you can choose songs and order a custom CD that way. I tried it, but it's really no big deal. It's a bit expensive, actually. I'd be more than willing to try that in-store and see how it works and how it prices out.

And I love the idea of the Gift Card Reload Machine. Now that's something I could benefit from, since I like to use their gift cards for the extra $0.03 discount per gallon of gas.

I have noticed that there are 8 Super Centers just in the Springfield Region. Springfield/5 Nixa/1 Republic/1 Ozark/1 and then there are plenty more in the MSA. I have also noticed that they have renovated and upgraded alot of the Springfield stores.

I think that CD thing is a great idea. I have alway's wanted to open a Music store where you could walk in, go to a touch screen computer and find the songs you want and then pic up the burned CD at the checkout.

There could even be tons of designs for the CD and you could be able to make your own creative song list for the CD case. Im sure this would be exspensive but I have no doubt that it would make millions.

I wasn't aware of the "build your own computer" concept there, but I know about the create-a-cd kiosk and the money center. Thanks.

The Wal-Mart website has a place where you can choose songs and order a custom CD that way. I tried it, but it's really no big deal. It's a bit expensive, actually. I'd be more than willing to try that in-store and see how it works and how it prices out.

It's actually quite a good deal considering most compilation cd's out there never have just the songs you want? Granted, you could buy a compilation cd set with about 60 songs for $19.99 somewhere else, but how many of those songs are really your favorites. I'd guess less than half and then you find yourself skipping through the cd trying to find a good song. $16.06 buys you a custom cd with 16 songs that you actually want. It also comes with a cd cover with a track listing on the back.

I actually prefer downloading songs from Walmart.com and burning my own cd's. At $0.88 per song and over 900,000 songs to choose from you can't go wrong. Wal-Mart songs are only compatible with Windows Media Player and won't work with other cd burning software, which is no big deal. I've been building an 80's hits collection of over a 100 songs and so far there's only one version of a song Walmart.com doesn't have. I can't say that for any other music download service.

I wasn't aware of the "build your own computer" concept there, but I know about the create-a-cd kiosk and the money center. Thanks.

It's actually quite a good deal considering most compilation cd's out there never have just the songs you want? Granted, you could buy a compilation cd set with about 60 songs for $19.99 somewhere else, but how many of those songs are really your favorites. I'd guess less than half and then you find yourself skipping through the cd trying to find a good song. $16.06 buys you a custom cd with 16 songs that you actually want. It also comes with a cd cover with a track listing on the back.

I actually prefer downloading songs from Walmart.com and burning my own cd's. At $0.88 per song and over 900,000 songs to choose from you can't go wrong. Wal-Mart songs are only compatible with Windows Media Player and won't work with other cd burning software, which is no big deal. I've been building an 80's hits collection of over a 100 songs and so far there's only one version of a song Walmart.com doesn't have. I can't say that for any other music download service.

I've bought a few CDs at the online walmart store. The WMA formatting is ok, since it's basically all I use. What sucks is that I switched from iTunes...so I have to use iTunes to listen to some songs. And recently I tried RealRhapsody, which uses Real formatting. Now I have CDs across all three formats.....which freaking sucks.

The most extensive music collection is at iTunes...I'm fairly sure.

I have noticed that there are 8 Super Centers just in the Springfield Region. Springfield/5 Nixa/1 Republic/1 Ozark/1 and then there are plenty more in the MSA. I have also noticed that they have renovated and upgraded alot of the Springfield stores.

I think that CD thing is a great idea. I have alway's wanted to open a Music store where you could walk in, go to a touch screen computer and find the songs you want and then pic up the burned CD at the checkout.

There could even be tons of designs for the CD and you could be able to make your own creative song list for the CD case. Im sure this would be exspensive but I have no doubt that it would make millions.

Hey, slyder1! Careful not to tell everyone your idea. ;)

But that actually sounds like a cool idea and may be something you should look into. I seriously think something like that would be a success. There is a market out there for people who don't have IPODs or CD burners. Maybe you could do a poll of people you know and total strangers in your area and get a feel for whether or not something like that would work. Who knows what could happen.

Hey, slyder1! Careful not to tell everyone your idea. ;)

But that actually sounds like a cool idea and may be something you should look into. I seriously think something like that would be a success. There is a market out there for people who don't have IPODs or CD burners. Maybe you could do a poll of people you know and total strangers in your area and get a feel for whether or not something like that would work. Who knows what could happen.

I probably shouldn't have said that but I can't do anything now.:unsure: I really do think it would be a great investment if it was done right. I am a very picky person and if I ever were to do something like this I would probably need to have lots of money. Watch, some rich corporate guy will stumble across this website and find my idea. LOL

I probably shouldn't have said that but I can't do anything now.:unsure: I really do think it would be a great investment if it was done right. I am a very picky person and if I ever were to do something like this I would probably need to have lots of money. Watch, some rich corporate guy will stumble across this website and find my idea. LOL

:lol: That would be my kind of luck!

Well, I hope you're able to get something like this going someday. You never know. But you'd better hurry, becase before you know it, we'll have instant, on-demand music chips implanted into our ears and won't need to download anything. Just think of a song, and you've got it.

"Central Markets have a wine collection as impressive as any in Arkansas. "

I have a bit of a complaint with this statement. I've been into two Central Market stores, one in Dallas and one in Austin. They were both incredible grocery stores, I really wish we had something even half as nice here. The deli and olive bars alone would be worth it ;) Man, there isn't even a decent fish monger here in the whole MSA. I still don't understand how an area with 400,000 people doesn't have a high end bucher shop or fish market (not one of these at ALL any more after Flying Fish Market closed down). Wal-Mart and Harp's steak and fish selection is a bit limited, to say the least... But, while they had a better wine selection than I have ever seen in a grocery store (by far), there are definitely local liquor stores that have better wine selections. In Fayetteville, Liquor World really has a nice wine selection and a pretty good beer selection. I can't think of that many liquor stores in the South that have more than one selection of lambic, much less like 10 or so that they have. Their wine selection is really top notch, hell they stock more than 50 different bottles from Chile. Their ultra-premium wine selection tops out at about $175-$225 a bottle, but there really isn't that much available anywhere above that price range other than specialty wine retailers. While they definitely have the wine in a box crap that any general purpose liquor retailer will have, they have a really nice selection that is easily twice the size of either Central Market store. If you haven't been in Liquor World in the last two years then don't judge it, they purchased the business to their side and expanded the store. Basically, the old LW is NOTHING but wine and premium beer now, the new sq footage is where the liquor (which they have a decent selection in, but nothing spectacular) and BudMilloors type beer.

I'm sure there are better liquor stores and wine selections in the US, actually I would be saddened if there weren't, but they have a really nice selection and definitely a better selection than Central Market.

I have a bit of a complaint with this statement. I've been into two Central Market stores, one in Dallas and one in Austin. They were both incredible grocery stores, I really wish we had something even half as nice here. The deli and olive bars alone would be worth it ;) Man, there isn't even a decent fish monger here in the whole MSA. I still don't understand how an area with 400,000 people doesn't have a high end bucher shop or fish market (not one of these at ALL any more after Flying Fish Market closed down). Wal-Mart and Harp's steak and fish selection is a bit limited, to say the least... But, while they had a better wine selection than I have ever seen in a grocery store (by far), there are definitely local liquor stores that have better wine selections. In Fayetteville, Liquor World really has a nice wine selection and a pretty good beer selection. I can't think of that many liquor stores in the South that have more than one selection of lambic, much less like 10 or so that they have. Their wine selection is really top notch, hell they stock more than 50 different bottles from Chile. Their ultra-premium wine selection tops out at about $175-$225 a bottle, but there really isn't that much available anywhere above that price range other than specialty wine retailers. While they definitely have the wine in a box crap that any general purpose liquor retailer will have, they have a really nice selection that is easily twice the size of either Central Market store. If you haven't been in Liquor World in the last two years then don't judge it, they purchased the business to their side and expanded the store. Basically, the old LW is NOTHING but wine and premium beer now, the new sq footage is where the liquor (which they have a decent selection in, but nothing spectacular) and BudMilloors type beer.

I'm sure there are better liquor stores and wine selections in the US, actually I would be saddened if there weren't, but they have a really nice selection and definitely a better selection than Central Market.

As I take this more offtopic here, it sounds like Liquor Mart is also expanding into the store that was located next to it. I usually go to Liquor World but occasionally I go to Liquor mart as well. Sometimes they have a better selection on certain items.

I'm not much of a drinker, but Macadoodles across the Missouri state line is the best liquor store I've been to in this area. Their wine selection has over 3,000 labels in a really nice 2-story wine room. They have regular wine tastings and the best customer service I've ever experienced. Macadoodles also features a walk-in humidor with a huge selection of cigars. Check out their website at www.macadoodles.com

Aside from that the Plano Wal-Mart "ultra-premium" wine selection tops out at $500 a bottle.

I'm not much of a drinker, but Macadoodles across the Missouri state line is the best liquor store I've been to in this area. Their wine selection has over 3,000 labels in a really nice 2-story wine room. They have regular wine tastings and the best customer service I've ever experienced. Macadoodles also features a walk-in humidor with a huge selection of cigars. Check out their website at www.macadoodles.com

Aside from that the Plano Wal-Mart "ultra-premium" wine selection tops out at $500 a bottle.

Yeah, they certainly a nice place. A little bit of a drive for those of us in Fayetteville. You can also get some stuff there that Arkansas distributors don't carry.

Yeah, they certainly a nice place. A little bit of a drive for those of us in Fayetteville. You can also get some stuff there that Arkansas distributors don't carry.

I forgot about them. Whie technically, they aren't in Arkansas so don't help my previous argument, they definitely aren't in Kansa City or St Louis either. It is obvious that their market is Northwest Arkansas.

I have never bought anything other than gas and a lottery ticket or two there on trips further north, but they definitely looked like they had a great selection. I didn't know about the two story wine room either, so I would say that their selection is more than likely better than Liquor World's (unless the whole second floor is MO and AR wines or something...which I doubt).

It was a slight exaggeration. Actually, I think the Morgan liquor stores (Pulaski/Faulkner Co line) are also a bit better. Lake Liquor in Morgan is still my favorite in Arkansas. There are a couple of wine stores in West LR that have a huge wine selection.

I intentionally omitted Macadoodle's because it isn't in Arkansas. That place is massive.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Wal-mart is actually selling off it's South Korea stores. I've heard that it's German stores haven't done very well but heard nothing about it's South Korean stores not doing well. They were sold for $869 Mil. I thought I had heard they were sold to a Chinese company but I'm not positive on that.

Looks like Wal-mart is actually selling off it's South Korea stores. I've heard that it's German stores haven't done very well but heard nothing about it's South Korean stores not doing well. They were sold for $869 Mil. I thought I had heard they were sold to a Chinese company but I'm not positive on that.

:whistling:

Shareholders Meeting next week !

Wal-Mart will have Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood in concert next week in Bud Walton arena. When I hear more I will let everyone know.

This should be a great show !

I'd forgotten about that, but now that you mention it, it is that time of year.

Shareholders Meeting next week !

Wal-Mart will have Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood in concert next week in Bud Walton arena. When I hear more I will let everyone know.

This should be a great show !

How many shares of Wal-Mart stock does one need to get invited to the shareholders meeting? I'm considering buying some shares.

How many shares of Wal-Mart stock does one need to get invited to the shareholders meeting? I'm considering buying some shares.

You only need 1 share...if you own 1 share, you own a part of the company and so you get invited. I'm pretty sure you can go anyway, in the years past I've had no troubles getting in.

Not that I haven't heard this before, but KFAY just reported that economists(?) were telling Northwest Arkansas to get ready for another "population boom" as vendors for Wal-Mart / China start coming in.

We've talked about the Indian population explosion here...wonder how many Chinese expats (though I know there would be those of other nationalities as well) could eventually settle here.

Not that I haven't heard this before, but KFAY just reported that economists(?) were telling Northwest Arkansas to get ready for another "population boom" as vendors for Wal-Mart / China start coming in.

We've talked about the Indian population explosion here...wonder how many Chinese expats (though I know there would be those of other nationalities as well) could eventually settle here.

I heard about this at the office.

They said upwards of 100 Chinese Vendor Companies may be setting up office here in NWA.

I heard about this at the office.

They said upwards of 100 Chinese Vendor Companies may be setting up office here in NWA.

Yep, the radio news guy (Don Elkins, also of KNWA TV) repeated the story, and this time I heard him saying it was U of A economists who were predicting this...and from the way the story was reported that 100 number almost sounds a bit low, although I know a lot of the brands marketed there are by companies headquartered here in America.

From what I had heard, locals are trying to bring in these Chinese companies. Citing how other companies have opened up offices up here. But I wasn't sure how likely some of these Chinese companies might consider opening up offices here.

Archived