welcome signs in Greensboro

cityboi

I think Greensboro should have signs that say more than just "Greensboro City Limit" "Welcome to Greensboro - Home of the ACC" sounds alot better to me. What do yall think the signs should say? I also notice that there is no city limit sign at all coming into the city on I-85 from the south. Maybe they took it down due to the bypass construction and havent put it back up yet.

I also think the downtown should have welcome signs as well.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greensboro has some curved brick monument signs at some of the larger intersections that read GREENSBORO NORTH CAROLINA with the All America City shield, but they've been there for so long and the city limits are so far out now, they are pretty much irrelevant.

Or perhaps to try to unify the area-a "Welcome to the Triad" sign on the outskirts of the areas that are considered the Triad.

Yea I actually thought about that before as I left Rowan County from the Charlotte area coming into Davidson County on I-85. "Welcome to the Piedmont Triad" are they really considering that? I think its a good Idea because the Triangle and Charlotte area have not done this. its very similar to the city limit signs that read "City of Lexington - A Piedmont Triad Community" Greensboro use to have those signs as well. They are kinda cool because they have a triangle graphic on the signs

It's hard to elevate the experience of entering a city on an interstate highway surrounded by frypits and a sprawling commercial crapscape by putting up a sign with some nice bricks at the side of the road. I would prefer that my tax dollars not be wasted in attempts to prove otherwise.

Keep the "entering Greensboro" or "city limits" standard DOT signs. Use the money for good signage on street furniture in the handful of areas in our cities worth visiting, or on making the less humane portions of our suburban detritus better.

"Welcome to the Piedmont Triad" are they really considering that?
Not to my knowledge, but just seems to make a bit more sense than throwing more money into individual town signs.

It's hard to elevate the experience of entering a city on an interstate highway surrounded by frypits and a sprawling commercial crapscape by putting up a sign with some nice bricks at the side of the road.
I think the brick signs are nice-that are there-but I would not advocate putting more of them around. Towns change limits too often.

It's hard to elevate the experience of entering a city on an interstate highway surrounded by frypits and a sprawling commercial crapscape by putting up a sign with some nice bricks at the side of the road. I would prefer that my tax dollars not be wasted in attempts to prove otherwise.

Keep the "entering Greensboro" or "city limits" standard DOT signs. Use the money for good signage on street furniture in the handful of areas in our cities worth visiting, or on making the less humane portions of our suburban detritus better.

Speaking as a person who has done professional urban design projects, the addition of signs and landsacping at the edges of cities is actually relatively inexpensive and serves to soften the visual impact of sprawl. It's never a waste of money to enhance your surroundings, frypits notwithstanding.

Or perhaps to try to unify the area-a "Welcome to the Triad" sign on the outskirts of the areas that are considered the Triad.

Many areas in Randolph County have town signs that says "Welcome to Seagrove, a Piedmont Triad Community!" with the retro looking triangle logo (sorta like WGHPiedmont8). Those were actually quite common in the southern and eastern reaches outside of the Triad since the early/mid 90s. Sadly, you do not see these signs as much now.

Has anyone else noticed this? The welcome sign for Guilford County says, "Welcome to Guilford County, North Carolina's Future", While the sign for neighboring Alamance county says, " Welcome to Alamace County, Your Link to the Future". Just a silly observation :P

Speaking as a person who has done professional urban design projects, the addition of signs and landsacping at the edges of cities is actually relatively inexpensive and serves to soften the visual impact of sprawl. It's never a waste of money to enhance your surroundings, frypits notwithstanding.

Especailly the entrance of a city. The first impression of a city is always remembered.

Archived