Reducing the dependency on gas

michaelskis

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walk everywhere except to get to and from work and occasionally to go visit family or friends who live farther away. Luckily my neighborhood has everything I need within walking distance and I only work four days a week. I only drive about 150 miles per week now which costs me about 15 bucks in gas.

My fiance and I just moved within minutes of our workplaces. We previously had two separate places, one in Monroe (~40 minute drive from my office) and another in Charlotte (~20 minute drive from my office) when we both work in Concord (north of Charlotte). I am now just 3.5 miles from work (about 5 minutes) and my fiance is roughly 15 minutes from her work.

I do drive a car which requires premium fuel but since my move I can hold out nearly two weeks without filling up. We both own bikes but do not use it for commuting, only recreational and exercise purposes.

As far a personally, I am combining/reducing errand trips and have been walking to the shopping center for groceries/etc. (It's only 2 blocks from the house.) I don't drive my personal vehicle much, mainly just for trips. But even though it's a large SUV I haven't felt the pinch of the higher prices much. If I did drive my personal car daily for commuting, I would have definitely traded smaller by now.

I have a minivan I drive for work, and we get almost daily emails on how to improve MPG and efficiency. However, my job still require me to clock around 1-1.5K miles per week.

Living in a small college town has some advantages. Most places I need to go on a daily basis are not far away at all. 10 minutes at the most if I catch the bad light. That said, I guess don't do much to 'save' gas since I have to drive everywhere other than not driving unless its necessary.

Well, I'm in Salzburg, Austria now without a card and no bus ticket.. so I walk everywhere.

Also, the buses that I take are electrified, so no gas is used. The trains that we take to get places are also electrified, so I can safely say that except a few diesel bus trips I haven't used any gas since February 25th.

This summer I plan on decking out my bike so I can bike places (getting a little basket to carry stuff.)

I carpool whenever i can... hmmmm... instead of driving 80-100mph, im driving 65-70..... then theres the bus near me to go to school and a few other places along the route which i still havent done yet... thats about all i can come up with. Then theres other things like turning off the car if im idling and not using the AC too. Ill even let the car roll at a stop light and avoid braking at all costs.

I drive a 11mpg city/15mpg highway SUV temporarly so it sucks a lot!!!!! Used to have a mazda that got 35 on the highway/29 in the city!

I work as a delivery person in the city of Detroit...that means that I have 139 square miles to cover. On a typical day at work I will drive about 75 miles, even though I only live about 3 miles from my job. I typically do not drive much outside of work, though, now that I am living in the city. I live 3 blocks from the Michigan Avenue bus, and 3 blocks from the Livernois Avenue bus, so that makes it relatively easy to get anywhere in the city using the city of Detroit's poorly planned, somewhat reliable mass transit system.

After being in Ann Arbor, Michigan so long and enjoying the benefits of FREE mass transporation, and taking dirt cheap train rides to Detroit and Chicago, I discovered just how expensive it was to finally be driving all over the place. The last time I owned a car was 3 years ago before I went off to college where parking is scarce. I just recently bought a car again, and I'm getting sick of the $50 fill ups about every week lately just driving to Pistons games in Detroit or visiting friends. Currently I'm home in the Tri-Cities which has a decent regional bus system. I also ride my bike to my temporary job since it's so close. I may be moving to Grand Rapids soon, and they have a very good bus system that I plan to use.

i no longer do 75 on the highway unless i am running late or it's late at night (i have been known to fall asleep when i get tired). it's actually increased my mileage by 4-5 mpg, but it really pisses other people off when i'm only doing 5 mph over the speed limit (especially here in RI).

Does anyone know what the best speed to go is mileage-wise?

it's between 55 and 65... i think for most cars it's around 2500 RPM. use cruise control whenever possible.

of course since the highways here are all 65 mph speed limits, i set my cruise at about 70 or just below. it has really improved my mileage.

it's between 55 and 65... i think for most cars it's around 2500 RPM. use cruise control whenever possible.

of course since the highways here are all 65 mph speed limits, i set my cruise at about 70 or just below. it has really improved my mileage.

Agreed

Too be honest I haven't done much yet, but I guess not many 17 year-olds do. But this summer I will most likely start riding my bike to work which is about 4,5 miles away so not far at all.

get a moped, seriously, you can get one for real cheap, and they get awesome gas mileage

Archived