Providence Public Library issues

magoldbe

i know i watch too many cop shows, and movies about conspiracy theories, but does anyone else thing that the confluence of events--the DeJong report on schools that has everyone with a kid in public school all worried, Grove Street School demo which has preservationists and most of the west side all up in arms, the Library which will have just about everyone in an uproar, etc are all just red herrings to keep us all occupied while something truly awful happens right under our noses?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the woman they talked to on Channel 10 tonight said a new location could have, and I quote, "...a large parking lot." She needs to be removed from the board, she does not understand the city she serves. Channel 10 happily said that the patrons they talked to today did not express that parking was a problem for them. I assume they are aware of the 17 bus lines that run within a block of the library.

librarybuses.jpg

The buses that run off the bottom of the page run to Narragansett, Jamestown, and Newport.

One can take a bus from NEWPORT and step out on the doorstep of the library, how exactly is this "not particularly easy to access?" And these are just the buses that are within ONE block of the library. Almost every bus in the state runs within about 5 blocks.

When I first saw this I thought it was April Fool's but then remembered it was only February. The PPL board is so utterly incompetent. Their behavior has been disgraceful with their gag order on PPL employees, their bungling with the Washington Park branch, their costly do-over of the Central Branch with the closing of the Washington St. entrance, I could go on and on.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/PROV_LIB...P38.f2d635.html

At least the article says that the originial building would not be knocked down without a huge fight and that Struever is a potential developer.

Even so, this is a terrible idea as it would erode downtown's cultural offerings and quality of life. But it may come to nothing. You know, this might just be a ploy from Thompson to get more money from the city. She has done this in the past by threatening to close local branches.

librarybuses.jpg

The buses that run off the bottom of the page run to Narragansett, Jamestown, and Newport.

One can take a bus from NEWPORT and step out on the doorstep of the library, how exactly is "not particularly easy to access?" And these are just the buses that are within ONE block of the library. Almost every bus in the state rund within about 5 blocks.

I suspect many live in the wealthier enclaves of the East Side. They probably don't use RIPTA and thus don't see the value of the library being located near multiple bus lines.

What really galls me is that the supposedly cash strapped library just did a huge, expensive, and controversial make-over a couple of years ago which moved the entrance from Washington to Empire for reasons that I never managed to understand. And now, it seems, that was for nothing.

and weren't there big pay raises for the administration at the same time they were laying off library staff? And a big renovation of the Rochambeau Branch (although they may have raised a lot of that $ themselves--i honestly can't remember).

it seems it is clearly a ploy to get people worked up about the library (yet freaking again) and prepare the battle to come with the City Council regarding the city's share. Also am i missing something or has the city been entirely too quiet on this subject? Were there any quotes from anyone in the city in the Journal article? How did the journal find out about this--did the library admin/trustees sent out a press release? Was it leaked? Planted?

Archived