Providence Public Library issues

magoldbe

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just don't know what to think about this library business. On the one hand i'm all for the city ponying up a bigger share of the operating budget to ensure that branches stay open and useful and up to code, and that librarians get paid a living wage. On the other hand, the way the library board, and administration goes about doing ANYTHING really pisses me off and i wouldn't want to reward that kind of behavior. They just seem to keep making sh*t up! I think if the city does bend to the extortion, then there should be some serious changes in leadership at the library. And i would be very interested in seeing the budget that requires a 2 million dollar increase by the city. No one knows better than I how hard it is to keep a public-ish service running on no money, but a large increase should require some justification.

and, i want that cod-damned Washington Street DOOR OPEN.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bill in a year ago to require publicly appointed members of the board in exchange for continued funding. The PPL freaked the hell out -- basically said that if rank and file members of the public were on the board, the system would collapse. Or they'd just turn down the 40% of their funding that comes from the city, and close the branches.

But there's no way for the city to "take over" the board -- the PPL is a private nonprofit. Even if it gave the branches to the city, and were then contracted with for the work of running them, or whatever their supposed hope is right now, the (self-appointing) board would remain intact.

• 3 weeks later...
The Providence Public Library plans to send out layoff notices to roughly 60 employees next week, in what library leaders are calling a precautionary move in case the city and the library cannot reach a deal on funding for the next fiscal year.

• 2 weeks later...

This week (starting tonight) and next week, there are community meetings with Dale Thompson (and, presumably, some of the other PPL board members) about what's going on. I'm assuming that this means they are going to go branch by branch blaming closures on the city. They're starting tonight and tomorrow at the branches that aren't closing (Mount Pleasant already happened, tomorrow is South Providence at 5:30 and Rochambeau at 7) and continuing on to the ones that possibly are:

Wednesday, May 9 -- 6:00 pm: Olneyville Branch Library, 1 Olneyville Square

Monday, May 14 -- 6:00 pm: Knight Memorial Library, 274 Elmwood Avenue

Tuesday, May 15 -- 6:00 pm: Fox Point Branch Library, 90 Ives Street

Wednesday, May 16 -- 6:00 pm: Smith Hill Branch Library, 31 Candace Street

Thursday, May 17-- 6:00 pm: Wanskuck Branch Library

According to someone who works at Mount Pleasant, attendance was very high but the public was pretty much uninformed about what's happening and didn't ask any questions. I've basically spent the last year trying to prevent that, but it's really hard. I've also encountered an alarming amount of apathy and complacency. I understand that parents are often too busy working multiple jobs and raising multiple children to advocate for a library branch (and that the elderly often aren't informed, and so forth....), but it's really, really, REALLY important for people to start showing up and start asking questions.

Matthew

(And, if you have any questions at all about what's happening, I will be more than happy to tell you everything I know, here, or in an e-mail, or by phone, or over coffee, or whatever. Seriously.)

I have to admit, I have never been to one of the Providence Public Library branches. I dont use libraries very much, as I am fortunate to have a large book collection and am able to buy most of the books that I want. I also have regular online access, and am able to do any research I need to on the Internet.

But I just needed to find something and went on the Library's website. They had a chat feature that let me talk directly to a librarian. It was an excellent experience. The librarian was prompt, knew exactly where to find what i needed and provided a contact in another city department that may have more information on the topic I am looking for.

Really a great resource. The physical brances of a library system are very important for those that are not in the same position as I am, but I am very glad to be able to use this feature of our library system.

I have to admit, I have never been to one of the Providence Public Library branches. I dont use libraries very much, as I am fortunate to have a large book collection and am able to buy most of the books that I want. I also have regular online access, and am able to do any research I need to on the Internet.

But I just needed to find something and went on the Library's website. They had a chat feature that let me talk directly to a librarian. It was an excellent experience. The librarian was prompt, knew exactly where to find what i needed and provided a contact in another city department that may have more information on the topic I am looking for.

Really a great resource. The physical brances of a library system are very important for those that are not in the same position as I am, but I am very glad to be able to use this feature of our library system.

• 4 weeks later...

Mayor and library finally agree to one-year contract. The city and the Providence Public Library have agreed to a one-year renewable contract, ending a years-long dispute over library service and establishing the first written agreement in the history of their 100-year relationship. http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...JU.368ad88.html

I want to give a shout out to one of Not About the Building's online efforts for the PPL:

Not About the Buildings Providence Public Library Benefit

There's more than an album's worth of music compiled here, mostly by (if not all by) local artists, and it's really good! You can listen/download it for free, and if inspired (as I was), donate to a good cause. And by the way, I am not notabouththebuildings' sibling/cousin/parent, although I think I met him at Firehouse 13 at the Library Show opening...

And about the agreement between the City and the PPL: having the City increase (and guarantee) its contribution to the PPL while the PPL still lays off people and reduces opening hours doesn't sound that great. I guess if it keeps the branches open, though, that's something. Perhaps they should take a cue from other library systems (the new Seattle PL comes to mind--I am sure there are many others) that now also function as public social spaces and even generate revenue through selling coffee, etc. Seattle even has a gift shop in its lobby run by Friends of the Library. The more it's open to the public, the more the public will go there!

This is also the last week of The Library Show at Firehouse 13, which notaboutthebuildings sponsored and which notaboutthebuildings founder Matthew Lawrence (ie. me) curated. There's readings on Tuesday and Wednesday, a spelling bee for adults on Thursday, and a big book sale on Friday and Saturday.

You can check the whole schedule at this page.

Okay, shameless plug over.

I want to give a shout out to one of Not About the Building's online efforts for the PPL:

Not About the Buildings Providence Public Library Benefit

There's more than an album's worth of music compiled here, mostly by (if not all by) local artists, and it's really good! You can listen/download it for free, and if inspired (as I was), donate to a good cause. And by the way, I am not notabouththebuildings' sibling/cousin/parent, although I think I met him at Firehouse 13 at the Library Show opening...

And about the agreement between the City and the PPL: having the City increase (and guarantee) its contribution to the PPL while the PPL still lays off people and reduces opening hours doesn't sound that great. I guess if it keeps the branches open, though, that's something. Perhaps they should take a cue from other library systems (the new Seattle PL comes to mind--I am sure there are many others) that now also function as public social spaces and even generate revenue through selling coffee, etc. Seattle even has a gift shop in its lobby run by Friends of the Library. The more it's open to the public, the more the public will go there!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived