Providence Public Library issues

magoldbe

i don't think it is fair to connect the school department performance with library performance. The library exists for people who want to go to it, for people who use it, but schools (public) have to take everyone. If we denied access to illegal immigrants' children or kids that don't speak english or whose parents are on public assistance maybe the school system wouldn't be so stretched (not that i am advocating that, mind you because i certainly am not) but no one forces the library to serve people who are functionally illiterate or who don't speak english-- it serves those who show up, which could be a very different demographic than that which the school departments serve.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great and diplomatic editorial. It sounds like the plan moving forward is a good one. I love Cicilline's paragraph here, which reflects an ethos so lost today:

"The Providence Public Library was founded 125 years ago by wealthy philanthropists who believed that it was the obligation of the advantaged to make the tools of education and self-enhancement available to the disadvantaged. It was a different age and a different context, but -- as the Providence City Council and the PPL leadership certainly agree -- the mission is just as important now as it was then."

My admiration for the Mayor just moved yet another notch higher than it already is :wub: .

- Garris

i don't think it is fair to connect the school department performance with library performance. The library exists for people who want to go to it, for people who use it, but schools (public) have to take everyone. If we denied access to illegal immigrants' children or kids that don't speak english or whose parents are on public assistance maybe the school system wouldn't be so stretched (not that i am advocating that, mind you because i certainly am not) but no one forces the library to serve people who are functionally illiterate or who don't speak english-- it serves those who show up, which could be a very different demographic than that which the school departments serve.

Plenty of people who cannot speak english can and very much are using our public library system. Not to mention that quite a few immigrants can speak two or three languages. Can you say the same about yourself? Your perception of the situation is very troubling. The trouble with our schools has nothing to do with the "problems" you speak of.

The school spending faucet has dramatically slowed over the last twenty plus years. The poplulation is growing in the US, without counting the influx, legal or otherwise. The fact of the matter is, for this area at least, very few new schools have been built in the cities and has lagged behind the "renassaince" of Providence. But then again, for those buying into the $600K to $2million condos wont be sending their children to public school anyway.

Plenty of people who cannot speak english can and very much are using our public library system. Not to mention that quite a few immigrants can speak two or three languages. Can you say the same about yourself? Your perception of the situation is very troubling. The trouble with our schools has nothing to do with the "problems" you speak of.

The school spending faucet has dramatically slowed over the last twenty plus years. The poplulation is growing in the US, without counting the influx, legal or otherwise. The fact of the matter is, for this area at least, very few new schools have been built in the cities and has lagged behind the "renassaince" of Providence. But then again, for those buying into the $600K to $2million condos wont be sending their children to public school anyway.

I think you totally missed her point. She's not calling them 'problems' but merely pointing the financial difficulty with educating a mass of people that in some cases speak different languages, etc.

And yes, the trouble with our schools does have some to do with this, simply because it is costly. And yes, I'm sure many immigrants can speak more than one language but that has nothing to do with it.

have you seen the city's budget? how would you say that school spending has dramatically been decreased (or as you say, the faucet has dramatically slowed)? the state's contribution may have decreased but every year the budget for the school department usually goes UP.

my point continues to be valid: no one should look at the city's school situation and automatically assume that the city's management of the library would be the same, because the library and the school are two different animals.

now, i don't believe the city is particularly adept at managing much of anything so i would be a little anxious about the city taking over the library, however, this library board needs to reassess what the priority and mission of the library is and figure out how to stay on track and if that means conceding a few seats on their board to the city council or their designees, then they should do it. Any library board that gives directors raises while laying off staff and closing branches isn't a good steward of that library.

Any library board that gives directors raises while laying off staff and closing branches isn't a good steward of that library.

Exactly. And not only laying off staff, but asking them to take voluntary furloughs while

giving themselves raises.

PPL likes to play it both ways. When it wants more city money it's a public library.

When the city wants it to be accountable and transparent with the money it gives,

it's a private library.

Everyone agrees that PPL could use more money. But the financial issues at the

library are made a thousand times worse by a feeble board (including a chair women

Mary Olenn who is off the deep end) and an inept Director, Dale Thompson, who lacks

vision, communication skills, leadership ability, and a sense of moral obligation.

Time to clear the decks at PPL.

Oh yeah and setting up kiosks in supermarkets and closing branches is not an

exciting new way to deliver library services. It is at best a grasping at straws for

an institution with no vision, and at worse a slipping into the the

global mall that has begun to swallow the last outpost of freedom from the

commercialization of the world - the public library.

-RR

... i would be a little anxious about the city taking over the library, however, this library board needs to reassess what the priority and mission of the library is and figure out how to stay on track and if that means conceding a few seats on their board to the city council or their designees, then they should do it. Any library board that gives directors raises while laying off staff and closing branches isn't a good steward of that library.

This (quoted above) I can agree with completely. Especially: recently building an addition to the branch in the most affluent neighborhood while letting the other branches continue to deteriorate, and - ehem (not many know about this one) building a state of the art excercise room with gym equipment at the downtown branch for use only by the board and management staff.

I guess I was speaking out of line re: the schools, not understanding the full picture.

The Mayor appointed audit is finally done. Looks like even he agress...time for new leadership!

The following are only excerpts from the Steinberg Report, distributed to City Council members and PPL trustees today. Hopefully, the entire report will soon be available on the city's website and you can read the document there in its entirety.

Background

"As any nonprofit would, the library and all representatives need to better steward the relationship with the City. This is not conceding control but smart business. The overlay of mistrust and apprehension has definitely been a deterrent to resolving the strained relationship over several years. . .Based on my assessment of the current situation and recent history, library leadership has apparently not managed to communicate clearly with the City Council and the community. Respect and full disclosure do not seem to be a priority. It is difficult for the full value of the library to be appreciated when ineffective communication strategies are employed and an impression of defensiveness is portrayed. In the interest of providing a balanced objective report, the City Council should be more engaged in requesting and reviewing financial reporting." (pp. 2-3)

Analysis of the FY '07 Projections

The report recommends saving money for the coming fiscal year by reducing pension expense and capital repairs to FY 06 level, which revises the projected FY 07 deficit to $367,996. "These steps are recommended only for a one year period contingent on a formal agreement between the PPL and the City, and a best efforts commitment to work out a viable longer term agreement. I recommend that the City commit to increasing operating support up to $250,000 and the PPL commit to increasing operating support up to $250,000 to increase operating support." (p. 6)

Recommendations

Among the other recommendations offered in the report:

"6. The PPL will make a best effort attempt to resurrect annual fundraising to reduce the deficit and corresponding need for additional funding.

7. The City Council would not require specific public board representation during FY '07, but instead have direct representation on a representative group described below and commit to monthly financial review meetings with the PPL.

8. A representative group should be commissioned to review recommendations of the Strategic Plan; evaluate alternatives for scope and delivery of library services; and make recommendations on board governance with a goal of developing a 3-5 year plan/formal agreement between the City and the PPL. This representative group should be separate from current PPL leadership (and represent future leadership). New, more politically savvy and neutral representatives of the board need to take key roles in this effort. The team should not exceed 10 members, should include direct City/City Council representation and reflect the changing makeup of the PPL board. PPL personnel should staff this team, but not necessarily be a formal part of the team. . .

9. The PPL Foundation should review actual investments, policies, and

investment results with the working team.

10. Since public relations have been challenging for the PPL to the point of affecting fundraising, alienating constituencies including their largest financial supporter, it is imperative that the PPL develop a communications plan to remedy this.

11. I believe that the deteriorating relationship between PPL leadership, the City and various community advocacy groups has been negatively impacted by the approach taken by the PPL leadership. As the attempt to establish a long-term solution continues, it is evident that change in the PPL leadership and board leadership should be considered." (pp. 8-9)

Observations

"Consideration should be given to utilizing a prudent portion of the investment balance for a one-time expenditure to repair critical facilities and/or invest in new capabilities that may be presented in the Strategic Plan. If successful, renewed fundraising would replenish these funds." (p. 11)

"It is not reasonable to consider separation of the responsibility for branch operations from the central library services since investment income is now used to support the entire combined operation." (p. 12)

Historical Financial Review

"It is not clear whether library and board leadership truly understand the financial/business aspects [of library operations] as well as they could." (p. 13)

Fundraising

"At this time, fundraising expenses seem to be inordinately high compared to dollars actually raised." (p. 14)

"The Boards (PPL and Foundation) need to make a commitment to fundraise, above and beyond grants, as one of their responsibilities. When the community hears threats of branch closings by an organization that has $35 million in investments it does not create an environment for support among individual corporate or foundation donors. The off-set to this is a universal belief in the power of a strong library system in the personal experiences, past and present, of potential donors when they think of libraries." (p. 14)

Governance

"Existing and future governance was not within the scope of this short term assignment. However, in my conversations with many, it clearly has become a major issue. My opinion is that leadership, more than strict structure, is an issue. Poor communication among constituencies is an issue more than governance. I do not believe that a rush to change governance is a solution. A thoughtful plan to make the public/private partnership work should lead to a logical structure, and if necessary, a compromise relating to governance." (p. 18)

I'm glad that the Steinberg report blasts the library leadership. My favorite stunt of theirs was when they tried to impose a gag order on library staff a couple of years ago to prevent discussion of the library's problems with the public and the press. Pretty freaking ironic for a library which is supposed to be committed to the freedom of information!

Question is will the leadership now step down or will they dig in?

The Mayor appointed audit is finally done. Looks like even he agress...time for new leadership!

The following are only excerpts from the Steinberg Report, distributed to City Council members and PPL trustees today. Hopefully, the entire report will soon be available on the city's website and you can read the document there in its entirety.

Background

"As any nonprofit would, the library and all representatives need to better steward the relationship with the City. This is not conceding control but smart business. The overlay of mistrust and apprehension has definitely been a deterrent to resolving the strained relationship over several years. . .Based on my assessment of the current situation and recent history, library leadership has apparently not managed to communicate clearly with the City Council and the community. Respect and full disclosure do not seem to be a priority. It is difficult for the full value of the library to be appreciated when ineffective communication strategies are employed and an impression of defensiveness is portrayed. In the interest of providing a balanced objective report, the City Council should be more engaged in requesting and reviewing financial reporting." (pp. 2-3)

Analysis of the FY '07 Projections

The report recommends saving money for the coming fiscal year by reducing pension expense and capital repairs to FY 06 level, which revises the projected FY 07 deficit to $367,996. "These steps are recommended only for a one year period contingent on a formal agreement between the PPL and the City, and a best efforts commitment to work out a viable longer term agreement. I recommend that the City commit to increasing operating support up to $250,000 and the PPL commit to increasing operating support up to $250,000 to increase operating support." (p. 6)

Recommendations

Among the other recommendations offered in the report:

"6. The PPL will make a best effort attempt to resurrect annual fundraising to reduce the deficit and corresponding need for additional funding.

7. The City Council would not require specific public board representation during FY '07, but instead have direct representation on a representative group described below and commit to monthly financial review meetings with the PPL.

8. A representative group should be commissioned to review recommendations of the Strategic Plan; evaluate alternatives for scope and delivery of library services; and make recommendations on board governance with a goal of developing a 3-5 year plan/formal agreement between the City and the PPL. This representative group should be separate from current PPL leadership (and represent future leadership). New, more politically savvy and neutral representatives of the board need to take key roles in this effort. The team should not exceed 10 members, should include direct City/City Council representation and reflect the changing makeup of the PPL board. PPL personnel should staff this team, but not necessarily be a formal part of the team. . .

9. The PPL Foundation should review actual investments, policies, and

investment results with the working team.

10. Since public relations have been challenging for the PPL to the point of affecting fundraising, alienating constituencies including their largest financial supporter, it is imperative that the PPL develop a communications plan to remedy this.

11. I believe that the deteriorating relationship between PPL leadership, the City and various community advocacy groups has been negatively impacted by the approach taken by the PPL leadership. As the attempt to establish a long-term solution continues, it is evident that change in the PPL leadership and board leadership should be considered." (pp. 8-9)

Observations

"Consideration should be given to utilizing a prudent portion of the investment balance for a one-time expenditure to repair critical facilities and/or invest in new capabilities that may be presented in the Strategic Plan. If successful, renewed fundraising would replenish these funds." (p. 11)

"It is not reasonable to consider separation of the responsibility for branch operations from the central library services since investment income is now used to support the entire combined operation." (p. 12)

Historical Financial Review

"It is not clear whether library and board leadership truly understand the financial/business aspects [of library operations] as well as they could." (p. 13)

Fundraising

"At this time, fundraising expenses seem to be inordinately high compared to dollars actually raised." (p. 14)

"The Boards (PPL and Foundation) need to make a commitment to fundraise, above and beyond grants, as one of their responsibilities. When the community hears threats of branch closings by an organization that has $35 million in investments it does not create an environment for support among individual corporate or foundation donors. The off-set to this is a universal belief in the power of a strong library system in the personal experiences, past and present, of potential donors when they think of libraries." (p. 14)

Governance

"Existing and future governance was not within the scope of this short term assignment. However, in my conversations with many, it clearly has become a major issue. My opinion is that leadership, more than strict structure, is an issue. Poor communication among constituencies is an issue more than governance. I do not believe that a rush to change governance is a solution. A thoughtful plan to make the public/private partnership work should lead to a logical structure, and if necessary, a compromise relating to governance." (p. 18)

• 2 weeks later...

This has been making the rounds on the SavePPL mailing list and on other lists.

It's from Library Defense:

July has been the month of NO CONFIDENCE in the

leadership of Providence Public Library.

This month we've seen the same declaration from very

different quarters.

The Strategic Planning Team, the Steinberg Report,

Library Friends Groups, Community groups and

activists, City leaders, and now the staff of the

library itself!

[if you didn't hear the news, it was announced at

Wednesday's Board Meeting: 67 library workers voted

against their current leadership, while only 5 voted

in favor. 16 abstained - mostly middle managers. Yes

even they didn't vote for "Confidence"! See staff

statement at end of this email and article in ProJo

7/20]

All of these groups, even while differing in their

visions of the library future, agree on one thing:

A change in PPL Leadership.

In a press release on PPL's website

[http://www.provlib.org/happening/news/pressreleases/pr071906.html]

the

spin continues. Not only is the employees vote of

No Confidence not mentioned, but the claim is made

that they are agreeing to new leadership. They write:

"The new board and the Municipal Library Working Group

represents fresh leadership."

First off, this new board doesn't even exist.

Secondly this is NOT what the calls for new leadership

have asked for - Dale Thompson and Mary Olenn taking a

"back seat". What is needed, and what is being asked

for, is for the old leadership to resign and new

leaders, completely unconnected to past baggage, take

us into the future.

It's time for the PUBLIC to take up the same call. We

suggest a public, grassroots campaign, in the form of

a petition or something similar, that asks for the

removal of PPL leadership. Below are the statements

of the PPL staff and the Friends groups - perhaps

these could be your guide...

--------------------------

Vote of No Confidence in PPL Leadership

Over the past several years we, the employees of the

Providence Public Library, have lost our confidence

and trust in the current leadership of this

organization.

In order to sustain trust and credibility in the

modern public library, successful organizations must

be transparent and accountable.

During tight financial times, successful leaders must

cultivate political and communication skills necessary

to survive and thrive.

Despite the numerous chances it has been given, we do

not believe that our current leadership has the will

or facility to accomplish these tasks.

And so, upon reaching a time of no further recourse,

we call for a vote of No Confidence in the leadership

of the Providence Public Library.

--------------------------

A Vote of No Confidence

Both the Strategic Planning Report and the Steinberg

Report have cited current Providence Public Library

leadership as a major contributor to the crisis in

which the library now finds itself. Neil Steinberg

writes, "As the attempt to establish a long-term

solution continues, it is evident that change in the

PPL leadership and board leadership should be

considered."

We believe that the time has come for a change in

leadership at Providence Public Library. Here are our

reasons.

Over the past two years, the leaders of the Providence

Public Library have lost the confidence and trust of

the public, city officials, and their own employees.

In 2004 the administration reduced the work force by

over twenty employees and more reductions are

threatened this summer. Services have been cut back

at both the Central Library and the neighborhood

branches. This year the Washington Park branch was

closed because of inadequate maintenance, and five

more branches-all serving the neediest sections of the

city-are headed for the chopping block. In order to

stop this hemorrhaging and revive this venerable

institution, we call for new leadership at the

Providence Public Library.

1. We believe that PPL needs new leaders who have the

political skills necessary

a. to work with city and state officials to increase

funding for the library;

b. to reach an agreement with the City Council to

democratize the

library's Board of Trustees;

c. to communicate persuasively with political and

business leaders, library patrons, Friends groups,

library staff, and the public at large;

d. to mobilize and organize employees, Friends, and

patrons to fight on behalf of PPL;

e. to find new sources of revenue, including

bond issues

historic preservation grants

community development money

emergency appeals to the public.

2. We also believe PPL needs new leaders who can

manage the library's resources more wisely. Our

concern centers on the following issues:

a. the hefty raises PPL officials gave themselves

over a number of years

as the library buildings deteriorated;

b. the wasteful expenditure of many thousands of

dollars to develop the "Empire Street branch" while

reducing the staff, including reference librarians and

other valuable employees;

c. the hiring of consultants who have often given

dubious advice, including the recommendation to

abandon the Washington Street entrance to

the Central Library, which had been opened to great

fanfare and at considerable expense in the late 1980s,

and the suggestion in the recent Strategic Planning

report to close six branches (despite surveys showing

the public wants to keep them open) and replace them

with kiosks, a bookmobile, or rooms in apartment

complexes, recreation centers or schools.

We believe that the time has come to replace the

current PPL administrators and top board members with

new leaders who can bring stability and peace to

the library; leaders who can work with the City

Council and the Mayor to appoint neighborhood

representatives to the library's Board of Trustees,

improve financing, and end the infighting; leaders who

can save the neighborhood branches and treat the most

affluent and the poorest sections of the city equally;

and above all leaders who can restore public trust and

confidence in Providence Public Library.

Althea Graves

Chair, Friends of Smith Hill Library

Ray Arsenault

Chair, Friends of Mount Pleasant Library

• 2 months later...

Here's an invitation to a "read-in" at the now-closed Washington Park branch library. Come read books to kids to support Providence library reform -- two good acts rolled into one!

here's the initial notice:

Friends, Library Patrons & Activists:

Please join the members of the library reform group, neighbors, patrons of

the library and other community members in a "Read In Rally" for kids and

patrons of the now-shuttered Washington Park Library. We are asking people

to give their time to read to youngsters, talk with youngsters in the Wash Park

after school program & generally promote the importance of community learning

centers. Volunteers, residents, children, etc., will be setting up on the

front & side lot area adjacent to the former Washington Park Library building.

We believe it is important to let those who depend on the public library

know that Washington Park is not forgotten and we as a community will work hard

to keep our Washington Park community connected to the branch library.

To join the Read In--please let us know when you plan to come and then show

up. We ask people to also bring a book to read to kids. For more information

and to sign up or help organize; pass the word etc. go to our Library Reform

website which you can get to at: http://www.libraryreformgroup.org

A related link is also worth your time: http://www.notaboutthebuildings.com/

ALSO--PASS THE WORD. Our goal is to fill up the plaza with people reading to

our kids, talking to our youth, library program members etc. EVERY THING you

can do is helpful and greatly needed, appreciated and will reinforce/sustain

hope and support for the reopening of the Washington Park branch library.

Rochelle

• 4 months later...
brain ... ex.. plod.. ...ing. get... help...

Library could put downtown library up for sale [ProJo 7to7 NewsBlog]

OK, the idea of selling the central branch is not what gets me, I could get behind that under the right conditions (like the building WILL NOT be torn down), but...

HOW THE F*CK IS THE CORNER OF EMPIRE AND WASHINGTON NOT EASILY ACCESSIBLE!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It's in the center of the maude-damned city!!!! OK, if you can't bear to park more than 10 feet from your destination parking may be an issue. Has anyone ever tried to make any arrangements with are lot owners? Has anyone ever tried to address the parking 'problem?'

the library's people need to get some better PR. It is almost as if they sit around at meetings and try to come up with the most ridiculous plans, to see what peoples' reaction will be! How in Cod's name does anyone think that closing the downtown branch, at a time when we are working SO FREAKING HARD to revitalize downtown, would possibly be a good idea? I have said it before and i'll said it again. The trustees need to be replaced. the library management/admin needs to be replaced.

certainly the neighborhood branches are important, but i don't want to have to go to five different branches to get my books. I like a central library, downtown, and i don't give a cr*p that there's no dedicated parking. I have never had a problem finding a parking spot within a block or two of the library any time i've wanted to go.

frankly i think people in power who complain about parking should be fined.

There are 16 bus lines that pass within a block of the library, 7 that stop right at the library's front door (although the front door is closed and you have to walk around the corner to Empire). If the economic situation is so dire, the neighborhood branches should close and the downtown branch should be expanded. Everyone in the city can reach the downtown branch on a bus.

There are 16 bus lines that pass within a block of the library, 7 that stop right at the library's front door (although the front door is closed and you have to walk around the corner to Empire). If the economic situation is so dire, the neighborhood branches should close and the downtown branch should be expanded. Everyone in the city can reach the downtown branch on a bus.

i know i watch too many cop shows, and movies about conspiracy theories, but does anyone else thing that the confluence of events--the DeJong report on schools that has everyone with a kid in public school all worried, Grove Street School demo which has preservationists and most of the west side all up in arms, the Library which will have just about everyone in an uproar, etc are all just red herrings to keep us all occupied while something truly awful happens right under our noses?

Archived