Charlotte mentioned in UP article...

Neo

In this month's issue (May) of Grand Rapids Magazine, UrbanPlanet.org as a full page article and a mention of Charlotte:

"Started in 2003 and boasting 7,000 members and 20 staffers, the Charlotte, N.C.-based site is loaded with sections tailored to individual communities, photos of downtown architecture, and opportunities to swap ideas and passion for city life and development."

While the article wasn't about Charlotte it did mention Charlotte as that is where UrbanPlanet.org is based. They did use the NC on the end though... :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe one day we can schedule a "Forumer's Tour" of the Urban Planet headquarters building and executive suites...

I'd like to do that to! :P One day we may very well have a public space where that could happen though, anything is possible... :)

To be more specific UrbanPlanet is hosted on its own dedicated server at a hosting company. A site like this generates a huge amount of traffic and we need a large reliable internet pipe. In the past we were on a shared system, but the site has grown so much that Neo made the investment to move it to its own system. That improved the performance greatly and gives us room for more growth.

Thats great..thanks for the details Metro. How much press has UP gotten locally in the past? I never see credit given in Mary Newsom's Naked City Blog or CL/Observer articles when the news was on this site days earlier.

We do get credit, unfortunately most of it is hidden from view. We have been mentioned in articles from Providence, Grand Rapids, Norfolk, and other cities. We have never been publicly talked about in Charlotte however, but we know that we are making a difference and letting our views be known. Several large media local outlets read and even partake in discussion here at UrbanPlanet.org and several big developers read our discussions. Metro.m has viewpoints of why organizations like the Charlotte Observer refuses to acknowledge our existance so I'll let him give his thoughts on that if he so desires.

I wonder why that is, Metro. UP is hardly a center of Nimbyism or anti-development. I guess there is an establishment cabal regarding city issues in this town and UP does not fit the mold.

Indeed they don't like us telling it like it is I guess.

If you have noticed, the paper and TV stations love to cover Nimbyism and anything else. Last night the big local news was about the protest march being held by a bunch of people because they were mad that the last NC American Idol was voted out. Seems to me there are a few more important things to talk about these days but that is what passes for local news.

Actually the paper in GR contacted us about that. They also did a story on how UrbanPlanet is affecting the development community in that area and our own Neo is quoted in that article and the fact that we are all in Charlotte.

If the BJ wants to talk to UrbanPlanet, we would be happy to engage them.

Strange, Charlotte-based American City owns the Grand Rapids Business Journal.

No, actually the Grand Rapids Business Journal is locally owned by Gemini Publications. It's not in the BizJournals network.

There were actually two UrbanPlanet articles, one in the GR Business Journal and one in Grand Rapids Magazine. :thumbsup: The Grand Rapids Press acts like we don't exist, even though they copied my Downtown Development Updates thread layout and image links.

Thanks again Neo and monsoon!

Archived