Erwin Road corridor in Durham

DanRNC

Yea, Erwin Road is coming along nicely. I know Duke has a lot more development planned from 751 to the hospital. A new development next to The Lofts is starting soon and I think there isn supposed to be a Hock Plaza II in the near future. I just wish they would get rid of the decrepid building with the Subway as well as the gas stations. I would imagine the Lenox-Baker Children's Hospital site will developed as well.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

The development along Erwin Road near DUMC since I started graduate school has been amazing. It used to be one of the grungiest areas around but now is becoming one of the up and coming areas due to its proximity to DUMC and the research complex as well as the Durham Freeway which runs straight into RTP.

Major developments include the Lofts at Lakeside, Erwin Terrace, and the Pavilion East project. In addition there will be a hotel built on the Pavillion East site and Erwin Terrace will add 3 more buildings. The VA Hospital is also being redeveloped and Duke will start construction on the new Central Campus north of the hospital. When this all completed these projects it should create a nice corridor from 751 to Main St./9th St.

Below is an aerial view from the Pavilion East website.

post-5831-1147442336_thumb.jpg

Pavilion East

Erwin Terrace

Lofts at Lakeview

post-5831-1147442336_thumb.jpg

I agree - Erwin Road is very impressive. Is Durham trying to turn this into a more walkable, pedestrian-friendly area? I'm disappointed that the Pavillion East developers had to put a big ol' parking lot between the building and the road, and that the city didn't stop them. Erwin Terrace did things right.

Yea, I don't understand why they chose to put a parking lot in front of the building when there is a parking deck in the back. However, the addition of the hotel may change that as the initial plans didn't include this addition.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I don't understand why they chose to put a parking lot in front of the building when there is a parking deck in the back. However, the addition of the hotel may change that as the initial plans didn't include this addition.

It kind of make it a hybrid-Urban area. It would be more walkable than most strip malls or the rest of the apartment retail developments in the area. Retailers tend to like that front parking. I guess the spaces were put there as a concession. Also I am not sure if lack of front parking is what has slowed the retail of the Mixed-Use building on the corner fo Lasalle and Erwin.

• 8 months later...

The Pavillion East project is humming along and it looks as if there will be very minimal parking in the front. The lofts have sold out which is a good thing and it looks like the property adjacent to this may be developed as well-I have heard a hotel possibly (where Francesca's Italian Restaurant and the old shabby office/retail building sit).

• 4 weeks later...

That is a great sign for not only the Erwin Road corridor, but for Durham. This corridor is starting to become somewhat dense and the number of units look like it is just going to increase. I think it will only be a matter of time before those apartment complex behind the BP beside Pavillion East are redevelopment. I wish Erwin Terrance would develop the rest of their phases making that place even more walkable and more of a hangout.

I think that is a great area that had not been developed yet and they are really doing it big. Condo's starting at $300,000, but were talking about doctors so they can definitely afford it.

• 10 months later...

TBJ has a story on Bristol Court redevelopment.

Charlotte real estate development firm Crosland has proposed to demolish one of the last hold-out properties, the Bristol Court apartments, and replace it with two multistory buildings also tentatively to be called Bristol Court.

Crosland proposes to build the $75 million apartment and retail project with up to 370 units on a four-acre site sandwiched between the 12-story Hock Plaza office building and the Lakeview mixed-use project at the Erwin Road and Douglas Street intersection.

We can't forget that there are a lot of good people who stay in these apartments. Bristol Court (apts. behind Subway) advertise 1BR units starting at $420/mo. It is very difficult apts. that cheap especially in a major employment center. Remember there are a lot more than doctors that work at the VA and Duke.

I'm not against redeveloping these apts. because I was surprised they lasted this long. I do think its time we start using our Inclusionary Zoning rules that are already on the books. I don't think 30-40 1BR units (starting at $420/mo.) out of 200-300 units is unreasonable. I'm sure the developer could make up the difference with density bonus (if not, we should reevaluate this policy to make it feasible).

It would be nice get Francesca's to remain in the area.

• 1 year later...
TBJ has a story on Bristol Court redevelopment.

Charlotte real estate development firm Crosland has proposed to demolish one of the last hold-out properties, the Bristol Court apartments, and replace it with two multistory buildings also tentatively to be called Bristol Court.

Crosland proposes to build the $75 million apartment and retail project with up to 370 units on a four-acre site sandwiched between the 12-story Hock Plaza office building and the Lakeview mixed-use project at the Erwin Road and Douglas Street intersection.

• 4 months later...

Archived