Best Skyline in Tennessee

soverbey

Best Skyline in Tennessee  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best skyline density?

• Memphis
    • Nashville
    • Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Tri-Cities
  2. 2. Which city has the best architectural design/variation in its downtown?

• Memphis
    • Nashville
    • Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Tri-Cities
  3. 3. Which city has the best vertical impressiveness?

• Memphis
    • Nashville
    • Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Tri-Cities

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which city has the best skyline density?

Tough question. All those cities seem pretty dense but edge to Nashville basically because it has more skyscrapers than any other city in Downtown.

Which city has the best architectural design/variation in its downtown?

Memphis . A couple of Middle Eastern buildings in northend. Most of the downtown Memphis skyline is old buildings unlike the other cities and Southend has the modern architectural style.

Which city has the best vertical impressiveness?

Nashville. It has some of the tallest buildings in the state.

I'm not a big fan of any of the skylines in Tennessee, because I think most of Tennessee's modern architecture is really undistinguished.

While the old stuff is great, Memphis has some terrible looking modernist skyscrapers. It's easy to say they came from a period in the 60's and 70's when architecture was all-around bad, but there was some great stuff built in Houston during that period--the Tenneco Building and Pennzoil Place. Memphis could do well with a couple 600 footers that complement the old stuff.

Same with Nashville, plus it seems that all the new buildings are sort of blockish looking and appear to be all about the same height. The only one that's not--Batman--is not one of my favorites. I think 3 600-700 footers would do more for Nashville's skyline than the Sig Tower. It needs more variety. Having said that, it's certainly the best in terms of the sheer number of tall buildings.

I'm not sure about Chattanooga and Knoxville. I guess they're OK for cities their size. One of the nicest skylines for a metro of 500,000 though is Des Moines, and that's even smaller.

In protest of Tennessee architecture, I voted for the Tri-Cities. :P

Memphis' skyline is best viewed from the sidewalk:

44604338.jpg

Density - I voted Nashville, but perhaps I was thinking too much of modern skyscrapers, and those over 300 feet. Downtown Memphis has greater building density overall, and many of those buildings are high-rises in the 10-17 story range.

Variation/Design - Gotta give Memphis the edge here. The Memphis skyline features 100 years worth of architecture. You have an eclectic mix of 1900-1910 era highrises, gothic and art deco structures, modernist and postmodernist towers, and even a Pyramid. Apart from the State Capitol, there's nothing visible in Nashville's skyline from before 1956.

Vertical impressiveness - Nashville wins, as it has the three tallest building in Tennessee. But, viewed from the west against the desolate East Arkansas floodplain, the Memphis skyline makes the distinct statement that you're approaching a large city.

Density - I voted Nashville, but perhaps I was thinking too much of modern skyscrapers, and those over 300 feet. Downtown Memphis has greater building density overall, and many of those buildings are high-rises in the 10-17 story range.

Variation/Design - Gotta give Memphis the edge here. The Memphis skyline features 100 years worth of architecture. You have an eclectic mix of 1900-1910 era highrises, gothic and art deco structures, modernist and postmodernist towers, and even a Pyramid. Apart from the State Capitol, there's nothing visible in Nashville's skyline from before 1956.

Vertical impressiveness - Nashville wins, as it has the three tallest building in Tennessee. But, viewed from the west against the desolate East Arkansas floodplain, the Memphis skyline makes the distinct statement that you're approaching a large city.

Actually, yes there is. James Robertson was finished WELL before 1956. 1929 to be exact. It along with Noel Place (1929), Sullivan Tower (1953), and the Downtown Courtyard Hotel (1905) are some of the oldest towers downtown. And yes, you can see them.

See..........

56938905.panorama1a.jpg

You can see three of the buildings in this alone.

Actually, yes there is. James Robertson was finished WELL before 1956. 1929 to be exact. It along with Noel Place (1929), Sullivan Tower (1953), and the Downtown Courtyard Hotel (1905) are some of the oldest towers downtown. And yes, you can see them.

But I'm not sure they are a significant element of the skyline...from other angles (such as the north), can you really see them at all? Not to suggest that Downtown Nashville doesn't have any pre-1956 buildings....there just aren't any Sterick Buildings, Exchange Buildings, Lincoln American Towers or Peabodys that help make up the "meat" of the skyline. The predominant image of Downtown Nashville is '70s or later. Compared to Memphis, the older buildings are fewer and isolated.

• 2 months later...

I think the best skyline, overall, is Nashville's. The modernism, unobstructed views from the interstates, and cranes dotting the skyline is art. It shows signs of growth and a strong economy. However, I do have to comment on the other three. Memphis has the density, historic structures, and potential to be a really nice treat for the eyes and could be the best in no time. Knoxville, too has the density, just too few tall towers. It's skyline is beautiful at night walking over the Tennesee River from one of the pedestrian friendly bridges. Knoxville has had many dropped porposals (buildings taller than Bell South) that probably would have changed the way it looks today. Chattanooga's skyline is a bit harder to distinguish from the others, and it, like Knoxville, has too few tall towers for a city its size. What Chattanooga does have is an amazing riverfront, gorgeous views, and the saturation. It's like a big bowl of lights. I would have included Clarksville or Murfreesboro too, but they don't have skylines yet. Each one these cities has the potential to be something special, only time will tell.

P.S. I left off the Tri Cities because I haven't been there yet or have seen enough pictures of them to have a fair-minded opinion.

Too bad no "aerial" views of Bristol, Kingsport or Johnson City like the ones posted of the other larger cities in Tennessee. I have been looking for aerial views (current era) of these three cities for years, but no luck. The only one I have is of Bristol, taken back in the 1970s. Of the Tri-Cities, I think that Bristol has the most "density". Not really too many tall buildings in Kingsport, but it is a very hustling and bustling city. There are a few taller buildings in Johnson City, but Bristol still has the most of the three.

Since none posted of the Tri-Cities, I will post a few photos I have of Bristol. Not an aerial shot, but you can get the idea. This photo was taken from a "hill", so the buildings are actually a little taller than they appear in the photos.....There are other taller buildings in the city, but they are posted elsewhere on the boards.

100_2007.jpg

100_2011.jpg

100_1937.jpg

dc6e69bb.jpg

100_0298.jpg

6924c51b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Memphis all the way. Nashville is too scruched up together, and Knoxville and Chattanooga can't compare to Memphis or Nashville.

Oh yeah and Memphis skyline is going to change in a couple of years for anybody who doesn't know, we have 7 skyscrapers proposed. One Beale(2), St. Mary's Tower, Horizon(2), Candyfactory Towers(2).

:thumbsup:

Memphis all the way. Nashville is too scruched up together, and Knoxville and Chattanooga can't compare to Memphis or Nashville.

Oh yeah and Memphis skyline is going to change in a couple of years for anybody who doesn't know, we have 7 skyscrapers proposed. One Beale(2), St. Mary's Tower, Horizon(2), Candyfactory Towers(2).

:thumbsup:

What are the heights on those towers? Anthing less than at least 25 floors is going to be nice infill but won't alter the skyline in a noticable manner. Memphis needs some real height like some 600 footers and maybe a 700 footer. Once of each would make a world of difference. :thumbsup:

What are the heights on those towers? Anthing less than at least 25 floors is going to be nice infill but won't alter the skyline in a noticable manner. Memphis needs some real height like some 600 footers and maybe a 700 footer. Once of each would make a world of difference. :thumbsup:

I completely understand that one. I don't think there are any towers over thirty stories proposed for Memphis. I agree that Memphis needs some towers over 500 ft., and I like the Memphis skyline, as it is spread out giving you a big-city feel. While Nashville has the height, the only tall buildings you see are as you approach the loop, they don't have that encompassing feel to it (i.e. Atlanta). Due to modernism and height, only, I would rank Nashville's skyline as the best.

I completely understand that one. I don't think there are any towers over thirty stories proposed for Memphis. I agree that Memphis needs some towers over 500 ft., and I like the Memphis skyline, as it is spread out giving you a big-city feel. While Nashville has the height, the only tall buildings you see are as you approach the loop, they don't have that encompassing feel to it (i.e. Atlanta). Due to modernism and height, only, I would rank Nashville's skyline as the best.

Well, Memphis sits on a river that boarders another state. So you have to drive completly through the city to get to the downtown area. We come in from Germantown on our trips and it takes forever to go on the main drag.

Nashville has the loop and so you only go through about a quarter of the city and then you shoot part way around the loop and your out.

For big city feel, I still like Nashville, in five years it will be even bigger.

But for a walkable feel, Memphis all the way.

St. Mary is 27 stories

One Beale has a 30 story hotel and 27 story condo

and the rumored Candy Factory towers are two twin 29 story towers

As for one 600-700 foot building...A tall building like that just makes all the buildings around it look shorter. Now if there were three or more of them, that would be diffrent. Look at Clark Tower for example. Since its standing all by itself, it seems like the tallest building in the city when your on the I40-I240 overpass coming into town from the east even though its the third tallest in the city.

Well, Memphis sits on a river that boarders another state. So you have to drive completly through the city to get to the downtown area. We come in from Germantown on our trips and it takes forever to go on the main drag.

Oh yeah. Downtown is a good 20-30 minutes from Germantown and the interstates in Memphis don't cut the city apart. The interstate was just constructed in the 70's so the city is pretty dense and alot of Memphians don't have to use the interstate for their daily commutes meaning traffic normally has a pretty good flow throughout the city except on Poplar and Germantown Parkway (both of which converge in Germantown btw :lol: ). US 64 isn't too bad now, but as Fayette County grows, it will be.

No1 beale is supposed to be 460ft, and right against the river... it will be memphis new tallest structure since the 60's. The Candy factory towers are still speculation. St Marys tower were guesstimating is in the 350ft range. The horizon i do believe were 290ft?? i dont remember.

The place where vue on main was going to be is up for grabs for developers again. and im sure they'll put something there.

I think Nashville's skyline is pretty and is vertically more impressive than Memphis's, but by no means can you say its more dense. surface parking lots are all over downtown nashville theres hardly any building in between the tallest ones. it just not that dense.

if you look at the aerial photography of the two downtowns you'll see tons of surface parking lots in and around downtown nashville. Memphis, you have very dense concetrated buildings, midrises and multi level parking lots. even the neighborhoods such has harbour town have the building packed in there with little space. even around Fed ex forum, theres hardly any surface parking lots. and the one thats closes is already getting a 9 story building.

Compare that to Nashvilles downtown arenas.

either way vote on density is hands down Memphis. as for impressiveness, modern buildings etc-- nashville hands down.

on another note in the next 10 years i think we'll start to see Memphis catch up on height and moderness to their skyline. based on all the project in the works right now.

I think Nashville's skyline is pretty and is vertically more impressive than Memphis's, but by no means can you say its more dense. surface parking lots are all over downtown nashville theres hardly any building in between the tallest ones. it just not that dense.

if you look at the aerial photography of the two downtowns you'll see tons of surface parking lots in and around downtown nashville. Memphis, you have very dense concetrated buildings, midrises and multi level parking lots. even the neighborhoods such has harbour town have the building packed in there with little space. even around Fed ex forum, theres hardly any surface parking lots. and the one thats closes is already getting a 9 story building.

Thats a really great point. In the downtown core, pretty much all of the surface lots are developed over except the ones behind One Memphis Place. Parking in downtown Memphis is still pretty easy because of the trolleys and the garages under constrution on or near the lines. However, a point could be made that since Memphis has more plazas and parks downtown, that lessens the density.

• 1 month later...

Nashville just has that awesome feel to it. I love just looking at it, it's hard to tear your eyes away. But, I love Knoxville's skyline. It's just sooo diverse. It's really developed especially for a city it's size. Old, old buildings, right next to brand new glass plated modern towers.

• 2 weeks later...

How on earth did the Tri-Cities get three votes for best vertical impressiveness for their skylines? Hard to figure. :unsure: According to Emporis, there are no buildings in the Tri-cities area taller than 10 stories. Nashville has at least 100 buildings taller than 10 stories and at least a dozen more on the way.

Archived