Slater-Marietta

junowolf

I was wondering if anyone could please provide some information/descriptions on Slater-Marietta? Or if anyone had photos of Slater they could post here. I recently travelled to Greenville on business. My trip quickley turned to pleasure and I didn't want to leave the city. I was blown away by Main St., Falls Park, mini-Fenway Park, restaurants, architecture, weather, women, etc. I already miss being there. I would like to move to the area, and I am looking at a house in Slater. I THANK ALL THE FINE PEOPLE OF GREENVILLE FOR THEIR SINCERE HOSPITALITY WHILE I WAS THERE!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi junowolf,

Welcome to Urban Planet! We're glad you enjoyed your visit in our neck of the woods! :shades:

That area is a great little small town area. It's just north of Travelers Rest on U.S. Highway 276 and isn't very dissimilar from T.R. (although smaller). They have a Subway (sandwiches, not mass transit), a Burger King, a Post Office, a Volunteer Fire Departmente, and some churches.

I don't have any photos at the present time; however, if I get up that way to take any, I'll gladly post them to this thread for you.

Slater-Marrieta's definitely closer to the mountains, that's for sure, so if you're into the outdoors, you're one step closer.

You can kinda get an idea of the area by looking at THIS.

Welcome, junowolf! :D Great to know you love Greenville and found this website! As Rested Traveler mentioned, Slater-Marietta is a nice small town that is positioned nearer to the mountains north of the city of Greenville. I personally love to fly fish a few of the streams in northern Greenville, Pickens, and Oconee counties, and there are many hiking trails and camping spots to be found in that area. I haven't recently been around Slater-Marietta as much as I used to, but it is still a quiet place with a real "small town" feel, although it has no distinct old "downtown." I really love the ride out on highway 288 toward Pumpkintown. I have looked at properties along that route in the past and nearly purchased one. Closeby, you'll find a few upscale golf communities and a couple wineries. With the ongoing talk about rejuvenating Travelers Rest in conjuction with the new converted rail-line/trail/tram, this area should begin to see even more positive growth over the next few decades. One thing is definite: Greenville is about the BEST possible location to raise a family, if you want to experience real quality living. :thumbsup:

Hi junowolf,

Welcome to Urban Planet! We're glad you enjoyed your visit in our neck of the woods! :shades:

That area is a great little small town area. It's just north of Travelers Rest on U.S. Highway 276 and isn't very dissimilar from T.R. (although smaller). They have a Subway (sandwiches, not mass transit), a Burger King, a Post Office, a Volunteer Fire Departmente, and some churches.

I don't have any photos at the present time; however, if I get up that way to take any, I'll gladly post them to this thread for you.

Slater-Marrieta's definitely closer to the mountains, that's for sure, so if you're into the outdoors, you're one step closer.

You can kinda get an idea of the area by looking at THIS.

Thanks much RestedTraveler and Skyliner for all your info (and the Yahoo flyover, way better than Google Earth). Sounds like quite a fine place to live in a good location. I do tend to spend a lot of time in the outdoors (fishing, canoeing, hiking, birding) when I'm not busy with less important things (like work;), so I'm looking forward to seeing this part of Greenville County. It sure is easy to spend hours on these Greenville forums, really a Godsend for useful 'stuff' on the city. I wonder if Mayor White lurks around here?--every city would be very lucky to have someone of his caliber.

I took a few photos driving through Marietta today:

146073698_a0ef98da49.jpg

146073699_39ed0e08f5.jpg

146073701_92dd3f4a3d.jpg

They're not the best in the world. I had the wrong lens and my windshield seems to be in need of replacement, but there are a few. If you blink or yawn while driving through town, you may miss it.

I was driving back through from Table Rock State Park, which is one of the parks that are just a few miles North of Marietta:

145628116_e8fa71850f.jpg

Was that today or yesterday? One of my sisters and a friend went hiking up at Table Rock State Park yesterday. I told her that I need to get back out again and do some of those trails because its been awhile. I also recommend Raven Cliff Falls, near Caesar's Head State Park. It is an easy 2-mile hike to the overlook and is very rewarding. You can also take other trails which either split off or cross over the Raven Cliff Falls trail, one of which leads to a swinging bridge over the top of the 400-foot falls. Beware of the Dismal Trail! That is a strenuous hike, no matter what level you are. :whistling:

JEEZ, a thread about my neck of the woods. never thought i would live to see the day. it is beautiful area however and to have a view of tablerock from my home is a treat. the only downside is the commute to greenville. in the end though it is worth it. now if i see a thread on pumpkintown i really think a moderator needs to step in and stop the insanity :lol:

I took a few photos driving through Marietta today:

146073698_a0ef98da49.jpg

146073699_39ed0e08f5.jpg

146073701_92dd3f4a3d.jpg

They're not the best in the world. I had the wrong lens and my windshield seems to be in need of replacement, but there are a few. If you blink or yawn while driving through town, you may miss it.

I was driving back through from Table Rock State Park, which is one of the parks that are just a few miles North of Marietta:

145628116_e8fa71850f.jpg

Thanks for the photos RestedTraveler! I see what you mean, I'll have to make sure I don't yawn while driving through there. Or I'll end up the road in Cleveland (S.C. not Ohio). That would be something else, then I could start a Cleveland S.C. thread (now thats never been done before I'm sure).

Would you or anyone happen to know if there used to be a mill in Slater sometime in the past? I was trying to find on the net something of the history of this area, but couldn't locate anything.

I don't recal any mills, but there was plenty of agriculture/farming in the area, as you can still see today in certain locations. There is a large plant on 288, but I can't recall the company name. Michelin, maybe?

In any case, you'll not be disappointed with the outdoor options nearby. Trout fishing, hiking, camping, etc...

I don't recal any mills, but there was plenty of agriculture/farming in the area, as you can still see today in certain locations. There is a large plant on 288, but I can't recall the company name. Michelin, maybe?

In any case, you'll not be disappointed with the outdoor options nearby. Trout fishing, hiking, camping, etc...

the plant on 288 is miliken. i drive by it EVERY DAY. it's actually a prettty stretch of hwy. if u go from marietta to pumpkin town on the left is a lot of foothill action. also every third saturday of the month about 3 miles above pickens on hwy 178 there is a big grist mill (the name escapes me now) but it's like a big outdoor museum of the ole timey buildings and an actual working grist mill. also, just down the road on the same day is yoders mill. imo, i like it better. there is no museum but it sits on little river with a deck overlooking the river and waterfall. there is a cafe there where u can sit on the deck. also a gift shop in the old grist mill with some of the best baked goods evah and a covered bridge over the river leading to the mill. check it out sometime.

That's the Hagood Mill, where they take you back in time with old folk music and interesting hands-on traditional activities. They even used to have a realistic replica of an Indian tepee settlement.

Also in Easley is the Golden Creek Grist Mill, still in use.

Archived