Raleigh Wide Open

pack-man

The completion of Phase One of the Fayetteville Street Renaissance Project will be celebrated the evening of July 29. The City, the Downtown Raleigh Alliance and the staff of Artsplosure are busy pulling together the party that will mark the opening of the four blocks of

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what is up with a "PIG" for a mascot for the Hurricanes? Even if it was done for that guy who gave $5 million bucks, I still say, "Urgh what a choice"!

Stormy, the Ice Hog, is great. I say the best mascots are the bizarre ones (ie San Diego Chicken and the Phillie Phanatic).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I overheard parts of this while working at Downtown Raleigh Alive a week ago, but wasn't sure how "official" it was. Whatever hurricanes that are still in the area during the offseason might show up, and there might be some kids stuff with a trimmed down "caniac carnival" somewhere too.

ABC 11 has been waiting a while to show off its street level studio, and the local affiliate is owned by ABC/Disney, giving extra incentive. Does GMA do a show on saturday morning?

Hopefully if they do pull it off, they don't do a shoddy job. I've seen many road projects rushed to meet a deadline wind up with slipshod construction. For example, water puddles develop at crosswalks every time it rains, cracks develop in the pavement and sidewalks too soon after completion, etc.

Remember I-40 west of the Durham Freeway? Was that project rushed to meet a deadline? Not sure, but probably!

In other words, I hope the city isn't so concerned to get the street opened by July 29th that they give the construction company final acceptance without thoroughly scrutinizing the work.

What kind of blacktop is the city using to pave Fayetteville with? Are they using NovaChip? That stuff is nice...

Remember I-40 west of the Durham Freeway? Was that project rushed to meet a deadline? Not sure, but probably!

Ha ha!! We think alike. That was the worst new road I've ever driven on. The redo of it still isn't very good.

We had a reader comment on how lame the fireworks at the fairgrounds were. I wonder if the city took funds away from that and put them toward the F St. extravaganza.

Archived