Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pack-man

Raleigh Wide Open

190 posts in this topic

The completion of Phase One of the Fayetteville Street Renaissance Project will be celebrated the evening of July 29. The City, the Downtown Raleigh Alliance and the staff of Artsplosure are busy pulling together the party that will mark the opening of the four blocks of

Too bad it won't be open in time for the Stanley Cup celebration if the Canes win it all.

Too bad it won't be open in time for the Stanley Cup celebration if the Canes win it all.

It would be nice!

But what is up with a "PIG" for a mascot for the Hurricanes? Even if it was done for that guy who gave $5 million bucks, I still say, "Urgh what a choice"! :wacko:

But what is up with a "PIG" for a mascot for the Hurricanes? Even if it was done for that guy who gave $5 million bucks, I still say, "Urgh what a choice"!

Stormy, the Ice Hog, is great. I say the best mascots are the bizarre ones (ie San Diego Chicken and the Phillie Phanatic).

It would be nice!

But what is up with a "PIG" for a mascot for the Hurricanes? Even if it was done for that guy who gave $5 million bucks, I still say, "Urgh what a choice"! :wacko:

He's a nod to the hog industry.

The forward thinking folks who decided on the location of the RBC Center provided access to a very nice cow pasture to accomodate such celebrations.

too bad this coinsides with Belecher in asheville - i've never been and was planning on going this year.

It sounds like a great opportunity for another meetup!

BTW, Stormy RULES! :P

Come on Dan....no "If" about it. This IS their year :D:yahoo::yahoo::D

Interesting story about available space on Fayetteville St. Only 8 street level properties remain.

Story

It sounds like a great opportunity for another meetup!

BTW, Stormy RULES! :P

STORMY!! What a name for a PIG, the mascot of a hocky team named the Hurricanes! :D

thats freakin awesome. I was supposed to go to Asheville that weekend, but I think I'll be staying in town for that one. Good Morning America being here really will be sweet as well.

I overheard parts of this while working at Downtown Raleigh Alive a week ago, but wasn't sure how "official" it was. Whatever hurricanes that are still in the area during the offseason might show up, and there might be some kids stuff with a trimmed down "caniac carnival" somewhere too.

ABC 11 has been waiting a while to show off its street level studio, and the local affiliate is owned by ABC/Disney, giving extra incentive. Does GMA do a show on saturday morning?

Let's hope they can finish in time. This WRAL story is about their work during today's holiday so they can meet the July 29 deadline.

I still say it will be a minor miracle if they can pull this thing completely off by the 29th. It's still a mess down there.

Hopefully if they do pull it off, they don't do a shoddy job. I've seen many road projects rushed to meet a deadline wind up with slipshod construction. For example, water puddles develop at crosswalks every time it rains, cracks develop in the pavement and sidewalks too soon after completion, etc.

Remember I-40 west of the Durham Freeway? Was that project rushed to meet a deadline? Not sure, but probably!

In other words, I hope the city isn't so concerned to get the street opened by July 29th that they give the construction company final acceptance without thoroughly scrutinizing the work.

What kind of blacktop is the city using to pave Fayetteville with? Are they using NovaChip? That stuff is nice...

Remember I-40 west of the Durham Freeway? Was that project rushed to meet a deadline? Not sure, but probably!

Ha ha!! We think alike. That was the worst new road I've ever driven on. The redo of it still isn't very good.

We had a reader comment on how lame the fireworks at the fairgrounds were. I wonder if the city took funds away from that and put them toward the F St. extravaganza.

^Ha yeah the "Grand Finale" was anything but grand. I actually was thinking the same thing - that money had to go into the celebration for Fayetteville Street.

We actually went to the downtown Wilmington fiesta where the fireworks were incredible. I think every dollar they saved on portajohns (there were 10 - waits were 30-45 minutes) for the tens of thousands of people, they spent on fireworks.