Raleigh Wide Open

pack-man

I was downtown this weekend and walked up Fayetteville Street. The street itself seems to be coming along. The sidewalks are HUGE!

Does anyone know if any new stores/restaraunts will be open for July 29th? I didn't seem like there was much there right now.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this weekend was a big one for downtown - the Downtown Concert series was huge this weekend. I was walking to the Borough from my condo on Saturday and was noticing people walking down Fayetteville Street and in three different groups I saw one guy telling everyone how awesome the view from Memorial to the Capitol was going to be and about all the development downtown. Now there is a good possibility that all three of those guys could be UP forumers, but I doubt it ;) The excitment for this area is really growing - I think Fayetteville Street is going to be a huge success.

I read somewhere where the "Big Easy" restaurant was going to try to be ready by the 29th, but I walked by there Saturday as well and they still have a loonnnng way to go. Its been sitting there unchanged for about a year now, but they do have construction supplies in the building now at least. Yancys! is also being upfitted in the Hudson, but I doubt that will be done by the 29th either.

i also think fayetteville street will be a success when it opens. Hopefully next summer, when all the planned restaurants are up and running and the empty buildings are filled, they could set up some of the summer downtown concerts on the street. Possibly get a much bigger act and close off 2 or 3 blocks for it. that would truly be the definition of "downtown live". i'm excited :D

I'm sure they'll pull something out of there backsides, but as it is now, Fayetville Street still looks like a warzone. There are piles of rubble everywhere, and one manhole cover I see every time a good 4-6 inches above grade compared to the "street" around it in the 100 block.

I went to the Wachovia ATM on Sunday and the sidewalk northwest of Fayetville and Hargett is a mess. It is blocked off and you can not (legally) use Fayetville to get around it. I haven't checked out the 300 and 400 blocks in a while, but things didn't look too much better looking from Martin.

And the cross streets -- Morgan, Hargett, Martin, and Davie -- are still in their "lose a lane or two" torn up state. Hargett and Martin are two way all the way across downtown *except* for the Fayetville Street block. Ugh!

They have less than three weeks to get the street open and ready for a party, with only two weekends to do hardcore, noisy work without interrupting businesses during daylight hours. There should have good weather for a few days, but it looks like hit or miss thundershowers will return by the later part of this week.

After working at the draft beer tent at Saturday's Downtown Raleigh Live, I can only imagine what the crowd will be like for that party.

As far as shops/restaurants, I hope Port City Java, Cafe Carolina, CVS, and Brass Grill see what is going on at Times Bar and Riverara and stay open later. But I don't think that will happen right away. The deli in the Hudson that fronts Wilmington is hiring, so hopefully they will be open soon. There is a coffee stand in the lobby of the Capital Bank building, but I think that will be open limited hours, like the one in the Sheraton.

WRAL is really promoting this thing; maybe even more than First Night.

I'm a little sickened by the whole thing. For part of Father's Day this year, my sister and I agreed that I would take my difficult-to-buy-for father to see Willie Nelson and John Fogerty at Walnut Creek that night. :sick:

This may sound a little stupid but what is up with those black urns scattered on F Street?

Maybe those are replacing the chandeliers-I'm sure the old ladies from Smithfield will love them. I do like "F Street" though-more modern and catchy.

The black urns are going to have some kind of water element to them. I work in the Bank of America Building so I see the 300/400 block frequently and it's essentially finished. From what I can tell the black urns will be water fountains of somekind I believe. ;) I think they will make the deadline.

Reading the N&O this morning, it said something about planting some flowers in them? But I like your idea a lot better. :D

Walked it last night....they look to be on schedule...minus the police horse relieving its bowels in the middle of the 300 block though...it was kind of funny, the project manager was taking pictures of it....anyway, the black urns are free standing and seems like I heard they will get seasonal plantings and the granite urns attached to the granite benches have built in watering systems for other plantings, a few spots still need pavers cut to fit and the Hargett and Martin paving is several days away, but all in all its a nice tidy site and overall project.

Down there this morning and they have paved all but the 200 block to finished grade--looked like that section will be done today. Most of the work continues to be on the streetscape elements, hydrants, pavers, fixtures, signals, and signage, and paving the cross-streets (Morgan, Hargett, Martin, Davie) probably at night this week.

I walked around there last night. It looks to be almost finished. I noticed Yancy's Jazz was under construction in the Hudson building. Too bad they won't be able to open next weekend.

I hope they put a couple of more music venues/clubs/entertainment on F Street.

Archived