Raleigh Wide Open

pack-man

During the end of the WRAL broad cast on Saturday evening, they stated an 35,000 people figure. But I forgot were they got that figure. They went on to say that because of the overwhelming support for this event that they may want to do this once a year? :D

i was saying that while i was there. making it an annual event would be great!!!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As BDP saw Sunday morning, I saw later that afternoon that people were cruising up and down Fayetteville...funny nothing was open store-wise but between each intersection it was jammed for the hour or so I was walking around...pretty amazing...there truly is interest in the area...too bad it won't ever be a true commercial corridor...I suppose that will have to be Wilmington Street if we are lucky....I mean, a street with one viable commercial chunk (200 block west side) will never be a commercial corridor. Too many bank lobbies(closed on weekends) and government buildings ...300 block west side will always be dead on weekends since its all gov't use...while not a fan of chain stores, you will not likely ever see your Gaps and Urban Outfitters, Barnes and Noble (think Georgetown) or a return of Hudson Belk.....I keep getting down on it, (and I love how FS turned out) but the building mix still troubles me along FS...alot....I would take back the 4 or 5 buildings that used to be on the RBC site any day over the proposed RBC building in a heartbeat.....the grey brick wall along the along the Hudson even has impressions, brick outlines, of the of some of windows of the older buildings that preceded Hudson Belk....a person looking out those windows was looking at the Yarborough Hotel...imagine the Yarborough carved up into condos....nastalgia is killing me...and I'm only 32 years old... :(

The interest in the area is still amazing....merchants...please open something and stay open later if you are aleady there!

I went to the parade (near Kimbrells) and the fireworks (on the street by PE One). Maybe it was due to a lot of lower igniting fireworks (only going up 100 feet or so) but the display was easily the best I've seen in person ever. I don't like the mall analogy, but it was kinda like the opening days of Southpoint, Triangle Town Center, and the new North Hills (which had its own band and sidewalk sale to counterprogram F Street activities) -- people walking around, happy, pointing, and civil. As far as I know, no one was mugged, shot, stabbed or approached for spare change. I'll take a stroll and/or drive tonight, if the traffic has calmed down.

The "street fair" atmosphere of the food vendors, kids zone, beer and wine gardens, etc. felt a lot more natural than the controlled atmospheres ever will. There seemed to be a "maybe we can get along" feeling. People who never thought such an atmosphere could exist in Raleigh now see that it can happen. There needs to be a follow through now that the naysayers have been proven wrong! Dennis Rogers's column is a nice welcome back letter and look back at the sins of the past. I hope the city and county realize what they have and do what they can to fast-track businesses on and near Fayetville Street.

Eventually the blocks should be a lot more pedestrian friendly. The "dead spots" will be

- Lawyers Weekly and the Govt buildings near Morgan will be slow to change, but never say never.

- Wachovia, although there is a lot of activity there with people going to the Cardinal club. And maybe Cafe Carolina will try to cater to an evening/weekend crowd, and La Ley could move elsewhere and put retail back on the Salisbury and plaza sides of the building.

- retail to fill in Alexander Place and maybe move the travel agency, architects, and Urban Design Center.

- CVS was *closed* on Saturday after noon... did they not get the memo???

- the law offices on the east side of the 200 block could be neat, especially with the "hidden" fountain below and behind the steel bars.

- The Big Easy is opening in a few weeks, and the old McCroys is being rennovated into something.

- Port City Java, a former dead spot, could be active now that construction is done and people are coming.

- First Citizen's lobby feels too big, and there are offices in it. They might not for security reasons, but they could easily make room for a few hundred square feet of retail.

- Centruy Post office is nice structurally, but won't contribute much.

- Wake County Courthouse's new front is more interesting, and there are plans to have a cafe on the raised plaza eventually.

- The county should make an effort to lease out street level of the NW corner of Fayetville and Davie, across from Capital Bank.

- RBC/Hudson/Capital Bank will be an active, unified front on the east 300 block.

- Hopefully a tower will go into the parking lot at the SE corner of Fayetville and Davie, which will add to the flower shop and barber shop already there, and give life to east Davie.

- PE 1 is uninviting as is, but a rennovation could open things up there.

- a small rennovation could open up most of the rest of the 400 block -- BoA has storefronts already, BB&T probably won't change, but Sheraton could open up to more than just their guests if there are enoguh people on the street.

Alive After Five will move back eventually, and a MEAC celebration, an expanded Artsplosure, a yearly Raleigh Wide Open, the Christmas Parade, etc. could have programming on the street several weekends a year.

Alive After Five will move back eventually, and a MEAC celebration, an expanded Artsplosure, a yearly Raleigh Wide Open, the Christmas Parade, etc. could have programming on the street several weekends a year.

Good post. I assume that the Christmas Parade will make a couple more turns and go down F St now instead of Salisbury.

A new ice cream/coffee shop is opening in August next to the Pita Grill and the architects office on the east 100 block.

What we need is...

-a new music club

-another bar or two

-an art gallery

-more restaurants

-some boutique shops

***to get rid of the Furniture Store (Kimbrells?)!!!

We need to try to transition away from having ground floor office space that's inactive at night, and move in retail ASAP. Also, any condo conversions such as Hatem's bulding's would be welcome.

What is Hatem planning at the old dollar store?

I saw the "coming soon -- ice cream" in Alexander Place and wondered why they didn't start sooner and be ready for the big opening on Saturday.... Cream and Bean used to be near Cafe Luna, but never caught on. I don't know if they thought more people would go to Exploris/Moore Square and want a treat afterwards, the limited hours, or the limited seating (2 or 3 tables inside, nothing outside) that did them in.

Kimbrells furniture store is a large space and has a "bargain basement." They have another location not too far away at the southeast corner of Tryon and South Saunders, so they might be looking to leave the downtown location soonish. The basement could have music and/or dancing without taking up space. Or it could be like London and other cities where clubs are on the second floor a la Raleigh Music Hall. You can see the lights (and lines) from the street but they don't create "dead spots" during the day.

The Christmas Parade was one of the examples used by Mayor Meeker to answer the "why make Fayetville Street a Street again" question. Blocking it off with a few barricades is easy, and the wide sidewalks will make for better watching (room for bleachers and walking) than Salisbury!

Speaking of Raleigh/Martin Street Music Hall, my neighbor said he heard Five Star is moving to the street level space of that building. Has anyone else heard that? This could be good for Fayetville Street getting a lunch/dinner/late night space and TTA/Cherokee getting closer to build the station and surrounding community.

Speaking of Raleigh/Martin Street Music Hall, my neighbor said he heard Five Star is moving to the street level space of that building. Has anyone else heard that?

I am all for having a restaurant on F st. but I don't think that highly of Five Star. I went there two weeks ago and was very disappointed. :(

I saw a sign saying "Five Star Coming Soon" in that space - I for one am all for it. I went there a couple nights ago and they had changed their menu around and had more affordable "small plates" and everything i had was great.

I do think we need late night pizza by the slice place somewhere downtown (yeah i know there are a hundred on hillsborough across from state, but thats too far).

I saw a sign saying "Five Star Coming Soon" in that space - I for one am all for it. I went there a couple nights ago and they had changed their menu around and had more affordable "small plates" and everything i had was great.

I do think we need late night pizza by the slice place somewhere downtown (yeah i know there are a hundred on hillsborough across from state, but thats too far).

That's a great idea...especially if it is nice a freaky. Pepper's East would be nice.

A new ice cream/coffee shop is opening in August next to the Pita Grill and the architects office on the east 100 block.

What we need is...

-a new music club

-another bar or two

-an art gallery

-more restaurants

-some boutique shops

***to get rid of the Furniture Store (Kimbrells?)!!!

We need to try to transition away from having ground floor office space that's inactive at night, and move in retail ASAP. Also, any condo conversions such as Hatem's bulding's would be welcome.

What is Hatem planning at the old dollar store?

There is a sign in the window of one of the spaces that used to be Dollar Zone saying that the Mahler Gallery is coming soon

I saw a very short article in this mornings N&O stating, if I remember correctly, that the Raleigh's Wide Open brought out roughly 60,000 on F. St at 8pm and an additional 10,000 on the other streets!? I was in that 8pm crowd and it was elbow to elbow. But then again, I am not a counter. :D

Info on the Mahler Gallery (formerly the Raleigh Contemporary Gallery) is at the end of an

N&O Story on F Street art

The Raleigh Contemporary Gallery will move and change names to the Mahler Gallery, becoming the only art gallery on the new Fayetteville Street. The three-story structure was built in the late 1800s and occupied by a silversmith named Mahler, then later housed a lunch counter for the neighboring McCrory's store. When renovations are completed late this year, the building will hold the art gallery on the first floor, a commercial real estate office above, and two loft apartments.

This is a building Greg Hatem bought a few months ago. I don't know if it is part of McCroy's proper, or the narrow building between McCroys and Big Easy.

It is weird there is no place to get pizza downtonw other than Mellow Mushroom and Moonlight, and they have limited "by the slice" options. There was talk of Moonlight opening in Palladium Plaza, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while. I'd prefer a Peppers over yet another I (heart) NY Pizza. A Sadlacks/SubConcious type sandwich shop (as opposed to Subway, Quiznos, and Cafe Carolina) would be nice too. China Market is good for cheap chinese and is open till 7 or 8. Brass Grill, around the corner from Times Bar, could try opening for dinner too.

Last night around 11:45 I took my maiden voyage down Fayetville Street in a vehicle. It felt weird, in that "I still can't belive I can do this" way that I still feel driving the formerly wrong way on Hargett and Martin. There was only a police car in front of me, and still *no* paint other than a couple of parking spaces near WTVD's studio. There appears to be lighting in the top of those new newspaper boxes (which I think are pretty neat), which could hold small ads? Also, it looks like they're leaving planters in the road near Morgan Street to keep people from parking there. It felt quiet but not dead -- a city at rest. It could be an awsome backdrop to a late night scene from a movie or TV show, with the old bookends watching over the new in between. When RBC, Site 1, the Lafayette, the Marriot, and the new CC come online, the street and the surrounding area could even have a "Lost in Translation"-like dreamy vibe.

It is weird there is no place to get pizza downtonw other than Mellow Mushroom and Moonlight, and they have limited "by the slice" options. There was talk of Moonlight opening in Palladium Plaza, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while. I'd prefer a Peppers over yet another I (heart) NY Pizza. A Sadlacks/SubConcious type sandwich shop (as opposed to Subway, Quiznos, and Cafe Carolina) would be nice too. China Market is good for cheap chinese and is open till 7 or 8. Brass Grill, around the corner from Times Bar, could try opening for dinner too.

Last night around 11:45 I took my maiden voyage down Fayetville Street in a vehicle. It felt weird, in that "I still can't belive I can do this" way that I still feel driving the formerly wrong way on Hargett and Martin. There was only a police car in front of me, and still *no* paint other than a couple of parking spaces near WTVD's studio. There appears to be lighting in the top of those new newspaper boxes (which I think are pretty neat), which could hold small ads? Also, it looks like they're leaving planters in the road near Morgan Street to keep people from parking there. It felt quiet but not dead -- a city at rest. It could be an awsome backdrop to a late night scene from a movie or TV show, with the old bookends watching over the new in between. When RBC, Site 1, the Lafayette, the Marriot, and the new CC come online, the street and the surrounding area could even have a "Lost in Translation"-like dreamy vibe.

Vics in city market has great cheap pizza :thumbsup:

The Mahler building has a plaque on it stating it was built in 1876....its the purple/green/grey building that has curved window hoods and used to be incorporated into McRorys...Empire is splitting back out into a separate building again though. It is the second oldest building on Fayetteville St after Briggs Hardware (1874)...also Century P.O. is third (the original part...the 5 window depth closes to F-Street) at 1879.

I also understand that painting is done...no intention of a yellow line (for asthettic reasons) and hourly parking does not get individual spots marked off like metered spaces do.

I also understand that painting is done...no intention of a yellow line (for asthettic reasons) and hourly parking does not get individual spots marked off like metered spaces do.

I hope this is really the case. How cool!

Damn skippy !!

I think the closest is "I love NY Pizza" on Hillsbourgh Street. Nothing like a really small Pizza place for a quick slice late night. The best place I have seen like this (outside of NYC) was in Ft Lauderdale just over the Intercoastal Waterway beach side in an area around a bunch of bars.

No need for anything fancy or even AC. Let the pizza ovens burn !!!! That might even bring some grit back into the city.

When I go by Vic's, I don't think "cheap pizza" but "good Italian restaurant" along the lines of Picola Italia. They used to have a guy singing outside, but I haven't been by in a while.

The parking lines are in place to provide a buffer for the mid-block crosswalk areas. Nothing else is needed. The blank slate look is pretty cool, but it is dififcult to judge how close you need to get to parked cars to allow for traffic coming from the opposite direction and their parked cars.

I didn't time my F Street drive, but it did not take 20 minutes! I don't think the lights should be synched so that you never have to stop. If you keep making every light, you tend to start going faster than you realize, which could be an unsafe speed by the end of the street.

The 400 block seems to be blocked off for a while, since there is no good way to turn around -- it just ends before you get to the Hannover/Plensa plaza.

It doesn't need stripes down the middle. If stripes make it safer... than every residential street in the city would have them. No striping actually slows cars down!! Making it safer for jaywalking pedestrians.

If people don't know how to drive on a street without cenetr stripes...why aren't they nervous on the ride home....I bet if all of you looked out your windows at home, only about 10% of you would see a stripe in the road.

In addition we have no other parking spaces demarcated in the rest of downtown - why should we here? Nobody complained when we added parking on Salisbury and Wilmington without stripes and it seems to work just fine.

Wait! Now it's 71K people? Did each person go through mitotic division during the parade or something? :shok:

It was my understanding that the city was hoping for 20,000 people for that day,(they gave that # to the media outlets). Then when counts were done, they said that it was around 60,000 on F. St and 10,000+ around the surrounding area. At least this was my understanding. :blink:

There are marked parallel spots in Downtown Raleigh, but they are associated with parking meters -- Dawson at Nash Square, Edenton near (but not at) Capitol/Union Square, etc. This keeps people from taking two spaces, and not being too far from the curb.

There are not many lines on neighborhood streets because volume is less and the chances of two cars passing each other is less. They may have anticipated less traffic on F Street because "it doesn't go anywhere" (dead ends a few blocks apart) yet people are using it a lot.

For the crowd numbers, there seemed to be more during the fireworks than the parade because people could stand on the street. Also I think there were a lot of people who went to the parade but not the fireworks, or vice versa, so it is hard to get an accurate number. The 60,000 number came from taking a picture at 8, counting the number of people in one part of it, and then extrapolating that for the whole street. The extra 10,000 was tacked on as a guessed number of people not in the picture on side streets.

Archived