Raleigh Wide Open

pack-man

Damn skippy !!

I think the closest is "I love NY Pizza" on Hillsbourgh Street. Nothing like a really small Pizza place for a quick slice late night. The best place I have seen like this (outside of NYC) was in Ft Lauderdale just over the Intercoastal Waterway beach side in an area around a bunch of bars.

No need for anything fancy or even AC. Let the pizza ovens burn !!!! That might even bring some grit back into the city.

I Love NY Pizza is awesome! There was/might still be one on Front St in Wilmington when I lived there and they were always open late and had great slices...how I miss them....pizza then the club....oh memories....they need to open downtown!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Fayetteville St. needs more neon signs. I remember pictures of pre-mall FS and there were signs for restaurants and theaters. I don't want Times Square but a few would really liven up the area. I like Mecca's sign. And I think something like this Jazz would be good outside of The Big Easy. The WTVD studio is a good start, but at least three or four of these down the street would be cool!

From the Raleigh Chronicle...

2006080101downtown20.jpg

Last night I ignored the heat warnings and made my first walk down Fayetville Street. I noticed:

- Peeking over the wall near Two Hannover, some of the diagonal supports on the Salisbury street side of the new convention center are in place! I know it is years away, but the structure is starting to take shape! I wish I didn't loan my neighbor my camera...

- Also a *lot* of dirt has been removed for the underground parking deck for the Marriot/Site 1. The retaining wall along Cabarrus is quite impressive.

- not sure if it was a private event, but the restaurant in the Sheraton was doing brisk business, as was the bar.

- A sign inside the Sheraton lobby still points visitors to the second floor for "Fayetville Street Mall".

- A small sign on the door to the elevators in the Hudson says Bickett Gallery is going to have some presence there. I don't know if it will be an actual gallery or just artwork in the lobby by the elevators. Bickett's website does not say anything.

- Gandolfo's NY Deli is now open for breakfast and lunch, but is open till 6.

- Carter Worthy Commercial will be above the Mahler Gallery. Next to it will be a York/Simspon/Underwood sales office coming "this fall".

- next to that, The Big Easy's "sign" is foot tall, spotlit letters -- classy and understated.

- Morning Times is *still* not open. :(

- a big red circle with a diagonal (a la no smoking) covers the "Mall" part of the painted on address of 133 Fayetville Mall. Again, I wish I had my camera.

- the ice cream/coffee place in Alexander Square will not have chain ice cream (Baskin Robbins, Edy's, Hagen Daas) or coffee (Starbucks, Caribou, etc.). It will also offer sandwiches.

- My only options for getting a bottle of water at night were China Court, the grayhound bus station, and the convenience store next to Dive Bar.

I was approached for a cigarette outside the WTVD studio, $2 for gas (how much does that buy?) at Fayetville and Martin (who then approached a stopped car at the Martin/Fayetville light), and $1 on Glenwood near Jones Street. There was the occasional police car, but none on foot or segway, probably due to the heat. There was one "ambassador" biking that seemed to be more suspicous of me than the gentlemen who decided to go shirtless.

On the way home, a group of older men coming out of Mo's Diner was headed to the Sheraton but couldn't decide how to get there. I sent them down Hargett to Fayetville, just to show off the street.

This week's Independent has good coverage of opening day events by Bob Geary, and even quoted a certain message board...

- next to that, The Big Easy's "sign" is foot tall, spotlit letters -- classy and understated.

Haha its amazing how two people can see the same thing and have completely different reactions. I think its cheap, something I could have done in Word. They are a New Orleans style bar/restaurant, they should have a more exciting sign...right now its hard to even notice with the gold letters on the burgundy or green, whatever it is, moldings.

This leads me to my wish that all the signs (or at least most of them) were the kind that stick out, like Mecca with some neon, or maybe just some uplights. I think it would make the pedestrian experience more entertaining - and make the street look more lively. The Big Easy's sign is doing neither.

Haha its amazing how two people can see the same thing and have completely different reactions. I think its cheap, something I could have done in Word. They are a New Orleans style bar/restaurant, they should have a more exciting sign...right now its hard to even notice with the gold letters on the burgundy or green, whatever it is, moldings.

This leads me to my wish that all the signs (or at least most of them) were the kind that stick out, like Mecca with some neon, or maybe just some uplights. I think it would make the pedestrian experience more entertaining - and make the street look more lively. The Big Easy's sign is doing neither.

Point taken, but more signs like the Mecca would make downtown look like the Big Easy, and not Raleigh. Which is why there is only one Big Easy. Want more signs like that then go see them in those cities. As for Raleigh, less is more and I think they did a good job! :thumbsup:

I think the only reason Mecca has such a big neon sign is because it got grandfathered-in before the signs ordinances. (Kinda like the Arby's and IHOP on Hillsborough Street were.)

I highly doubt a new business could install a sign like that nowadays?

They could have chosen a better contrast than black letters on a dark color, and the slight italic font isn't great, but it serves its purpose. The old Fayetville Street pics look cluttered, which does not seem to be the "new" Raleigh's style. If it was up to me, I would have put in a green and white striped Cafe Du Monde-eque awning, something unique for the street. Mmmm, beignets...

The Mecca sign looks a lot better and brigher now than it did a couple of years ago. Neon is good for some signs, but when all signs are neon, it loses its appeal. There should be some neon and LCDs like WTVD's studio, but some places don't need it. Times Bar has *no* sign yet is still atractive in its own way.

The Mecca sign looks a lot better and brigher now than it did a couple of years ago. Neon is good for some signs, but when all signs are neon, it loses its appeal. There should be some neon and LCDs like WTVD's studio, but some places don't need it. Times Bar has *no* sign yet is still atractive in its own way.

Agreed. When a building already has recognizable or interesting architecture it doesn't need to add more. But the Big Easy's building is pretty non-descript. Likewise the Hudson, so the WTVD thing works well.

And I definitely could use some beignets!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a little complaint!

When I come downtown, I usually park in a parking deck,(I love to drive up and see the sights from high up), so NO problem with paying the fee!! Please understand that!

However, what I am complaining about is the $3 parking deck fee that there will be on RWO2. It is my undertanding that it will be held on Saturday July 21? Why are we to pay $3 for parking in a parking deck that is FREE after 7pm M-F and on weekends? Or have the decks gone to charging fees 24/7?

My complaint runs more in the face of those people who will come downtown for one of the first time for them from North Raleigh, Eastern NC, or other small towns. Maybe for the first couple of years keep it free and then when we have them coming back again because "they choose to" and not for some "event". Let them pay a fee or whatever. I do understand that $3 parking is not bad, just to soon for downtown! IMHO!!

Thank you for letting me add my 3 cents!

Just a little complaint!

When I come downtown, I usually park in a parking deck,(I love to drive up and see the sights from high up), so NO problem with paying the fee!! Please understand that!

However, what I am complaining about is the $3 parking deck fee that there will be on RWO2. It is my undertanding that it will be held on Saturday July 21? Why are we to pay $3 for parking in a parking deck that is FREE after 7pm M-F and on weekends? Or have the decks gone to charging fees 24/7?

My complaint runs more in the face of those people who will come downtown for one of the first time for them from North Raleigh, Eastern NC, or other small towns. Maybe for the first couple of years keep it free and then when we have them coming back again because "they choose to" and not for some "event". Let them pay a fee or whatever. I do understand that $3 parking is not bad, just to soon for downtown! IMHO!!

Thank you for letting me add my 3 cents!

I agree with you if that is indeed the case....turning a deck that is normally free during this time period into a pay deck precisely when you are trying to convince people how awesome and user friendly downtown really is, is bad policy......maybe the budget did not have $$ for RWO2 adn this how they are bridging the sponsership gap?

• 2 weeks later...

WRAL story on RWO 2, and how some businesses are taking a wait and see attitude on opening on the weekend. There was a couple in the story who moved to the Hudson after attending RWO last year... exactly the type of thing we need. We know RWO2 will bring people DT, but if 10% of them come back and maybe even buy a condo, then it's really worth it.

I won't be here, so take some pictures. :)

So, does anyone know if the stores/rest. located on F. St. will be open for this event? Even if there hours aren't normally Sat/Sun. :huh:

I know the CVS, Yancey's, Port City, Crema, Fay St Tavern, Big Easy, & The City Museum all have Saturday hours anyway. All I can think of that would need to have special hours would be the pita place, the little convenience store across from the Sheraton & the flower store.

We were out there in the day last year and would have certainly bought drinks at the CVS, but they were closed.

Big national chains like CVS simply don't have the requisite decisionmaking nimbleness to be able to stay open in response to local events like this. Even if the manager wanted to, he'd probably have to file several pages of forms with some corporate office two time zones away several months in advance to get the approval to do it...

We were out there in the day last year and would have certainly bought drinks at the CVS, but they were closed.

They do close ridiculously early on Saturdays... I believe it's 1pm. I would love for them to start staying open a little later. This would save me from getting in the car on Saturdays every once in a while.

I don't know how it makes sense to CVS to be open four hours on Saturdays. Stay open till around 5 or don't open at all. From their website:

Store #4056: 200 FAYETTEVILLE STREET

RALEIGH, NC 27601

Front Store Phone: (919) 834-3336

Pharmacy Phone: (919) 834-3336

Front Store Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:00 AM-6:00 PM; Sat., 9:00 AM-1:00 PM

Pharmacy Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:00 AM-6:00 PM; Sat., 9:00 AM-1:00 PM

The city museum doesn't *open* until 1 or 2, which I guess is due to volunteer availablity.

I don't think Cafe Carolina opened last year. They still refuse to open on Saturdays. As a result, I don't go there the other days of the week.

Will it be worth it for "nearby" places like Quiznos and Brass Grill to open? I don't know. They do well enough with the business lunch crowds. I remember the Quizno's owner in the WRAL story from when I used to work downtown. It is good to see they are still doing well. I know Gandalfo's used to open on Saturdays in the Wilmington Street side of the Hudson, but I don't know if that is still the case.

The convenience store in the BoA building is confusing too. They often leave their "open" sign on after they close.

The shops inside the Sheraton aren't open late either.

I hate having to walk to Glenwood South to get a decent selection of bottle/can drinks while walking around downtown on the weekends, but that is the current state of things. Sometimes China Court is open, and if I have the money, I'll stop at Crema.

As for RWO 2, I'll probably go for the fireworks, maybe the parade. I'd almost like it better if Dillon Fence was the last musical act, but I'm not running the show.

Archived