Chain restaurants

TenPoundHammer

OK, here's Part Deux - Muskegon, Holland, GraHaven, and any other outlying areas I missed last time.

A & W

1115 Washington, Greenville - now House Of Hunan

Saugatuck - closed in the 1950's

Baskin-Robbins

573 E. 8th, Holland

991 Broadway, Muskegon

Big Boy

216 Douglas, Holland

1746 Apple, Muskegon - Arby's on site? (or maybe Arby's converted the old Big Boy, they did that in Niles)

950 Norton, Muskegon - was there ever a small mall at 950 Norton? I have a 1988 phone book which seems to suggest as such

Blimpie

Ionia - was in a Marathon station; may now be a Subway (does this town REALLY need three Subways?!?)

Boardwalk Fries

Westshore Mall - empty

Bonanza

1395 E. Apple, Muskegon

Burger Chef

Ionia - it was near the fairgrounds, that's all I know

Apple Ave. near US-31, Muskegon - now an insurance office and pizza parlor

Apple Ave. @ Getty, Muskegon - torn down for Rite Aid

Chi-Chi's

153 Seaway, Muskegon

Coffee Beanery

Westshore Mall

Denny's

3520 Green St., Norton Shores

Dog & Suds

Holland - now a Little Caesar's (I forget which one though)

Muskegon - now Kordecki's Kitchen

Frulatti Cafe/Surf City Squeeze

Westshore Mall - empty

Hardee's

Cedar Springs - now Arby's

Coopersville - now Arby's

Holland - also now Arby's

Lowell - now (you guessed it) Arby's

Holton Rd., Muskegon - now... Burger King

KFC

16th @ River, Holland - torn down

Long John Silvers

3033 Henry, Muskegon - A Google search of this address turns up no results, so I'm assuming it's either torn down or abandoned

Pizza Hut

Wayland - was taken out of a former KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combo (Kentaco Hut!); KFC and Taco Bell still open

Ponderosa

2881 Henry, Muskegon - now Shan's Chinese

Red Lobster

80 Seaway, Muskegon - empty?

Schlotzsky's

Muskegon Mall - closed way before the mall was torn down

Shoney's

3116 Henry, Muskegon

Stuckey's

Coopersville - torn down

Martin - now Marathon/Subway

Subway

622 Colby, Whitehall

TCBY

235 N. River, Holland - now Subway

Wendy's

12393 James, Holland

16th St., Holland - I could swear that I once read an article about a former Wendy's on 16th in Holland and proposals to turn it into a bus station of sorts. Maybe I'm just making this up?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TenPoundHammer, I notice that you are developing the same list for a number of cities on UrbanPlanet. Are you working on something specific?

I'm doing personal research for a site I maintain ( http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgottenmi/former.html ) which lists all the former locations of chain eateries in michigan.

I also remember there used to be a resturaunt called Rax. I know nothing about it, other than I used to love the place as a kid and that they had burgers. Only thing I remember.

Rax was known for its roast beef sandwhiches and beat Arby's by a mile . .imo anyway :-)

The Big Boy on Kalamazoo, just north of 44th st by the town and country shopping center closed about two months ago. Just recently saw that it is going to reopen as some sort of country kitchen.

The Big Boy closed a couple of months ago. The new restaurant is called Towne & Country Kitchen. I have driven by it for work, but haven't eaten there.

BTW, Welcome Tommygrand!

Would ChiChis and Cheddars count? I believe that Cheddars is a chain mainly in the Midwest, didn't know of other Cheddars in the area besides the one torn down to make way for Sams Club Gas station. Chichis was my favorite. Used to be by woodland mall, now is Seol Garden.

Would ChiChis and Cheddars count? I believe that Cheddars is a chain mainly in the Midwest, didn't know of other Cheddars in the area besides the one torn down to make way for Sams Club Gas station. Chichis was my favorite. Used to be by woodland mall, now is Seol Garden.

Chi-Chi's counts. Surprised they ever went for malls; Lakeview Square in Battle Creek used to have one too (it was ripped out when the Barnes & Noble was put in).

Post number 3, lol. There was a YaYa's in GR on the corner of 28th and Lake Eastbrook, now is Panera.

I was in this Panera for lunch yesterday - what a madhouse. What a goldmine! I need to buy me one of these franchises. :)

Has anyone mentioned Jose Babushka's? I believe they were part of the Schelde's family of restaurants. There was one on Northland Drive - it's now Rio Grand Steakhouse, and another one in Holland near the West Shore Mall - not sure what that one is now.

Has anyone mentioned Jose Babushka's? I believe they were part of the Schelde's family of restaurants. There was one on Northland Drive - it's now Rio Grand Steakhouse, and another one in Holland near the West Shore Mall - not sure what that one is now.

Wasn't there one on 44th Street near Burlingame. It became a Wyoming Cattleman's Company at one point. I'm not sure what's in there now.

Wasn't there one on 44th Street near Burlingame. It became a Wyoming Cattleman's Company at one point. I'm not sure what's in there now.

Rio Grand is where the Wyoming Cattle Company was. Basically the same joint, same decorations, menu etc. Just a different name.

Rio Grand is where the Wyoming Cattle Company was. Basically the same joint, same decorations, menu etc. Just a different name.

I was in the Cattlemen's Company once. I remember because I had an Idaho bake potato. I'm not sure if it was actually grown in the state of Idaho, but certainly as big as the state of Idaho. It must of been a 12 oz steak served with 16 oz potato. The food prep, however, was average at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Churches chicken-3 locations (great biscuts)

Hardees-just remember the 28th SE location riding the mini carasel

I hope they come back they have improved a lot

Ryans steakhouse- Alpine, better than OCB

Ole Tacos, good cheap local chain

Now if Sonic, white castle, and waffle house would come here and replace some of the McDs, BKs, and Wendy's I would be very happy

Jonny Rockets is good too

Churches chicken-3 locations (great biscuts)

Hardees-just remember the 28th SE location riding the mini carasel

I hope they come back they have improved a lot

Ryans steakhouse- Alpine, better than OCB

Ole Tacos, good cheap local chain

Now if Sonic, white castle, and waffle house would come here and replace some of the McDs, BKs, and Wendy's I would be very happy

Jonny Rockets is good too

My little bro worked @ Ole' on Alpine for a few years when he was in high-school. I loved Sunday nights when he would bring home like 20 tacos for all of us. Mmm.... I miss them...

*drool*

I don't remember what Sonic tasted like, but I would definately go for the experience.

And White Castle omg that place was awesome.. I went to one in Ohio once mmmm it was good.

Jose Babushka's in Holland becama a Rio Grand Steakhouse as well. I think that closed a couple years ago. It is sitting empty next to an old Red Lobster.

• 1 month later...

Todd's Pizza = Spads Pizza.

Same EXACT food, same breadsticks with the dressing, and the same prices.

Don't know WHEN it happened or WHY, but Todd's Pizza on Chicago Drive has CLOSED. Same food, same prices, same location, apparently the same result!

Chicago Dr. almost to 196 in Grandville. Near the intersection of Chicago Dr and Fairlanes Ave. North side of the road. Right by Adobe. (mmm....Adobe....)

EDIT: Haha - Love when 2 separate replies get grouped into 1 automagically...

A few notes...

1) Bad Guys Pizza in the old Schlotzky's on 28th between Burlingame and Byron Center is already gone and is now a Mexican restaurant. The name slips my mind, currently.

2) There's a Papa Murphy's in a strip mall in the northwest corner of Burlingame & 28th. By Bun Basket factory.

Bad Guys Pizza = Taqueria Rancho La Tejanita

I know this was not a chain restaurant but it has been closed for at least a decade or two.

It was a pizza place in the place where Damon's is on 28th st. You woul sit and eat pizza at long tables like being in a German brau haus during Oktoberfest...the weird thing is the organ player would start playing music while rising up from the underground. Kind of freaky at the the time.

This was back around 1980.

What was the name of it?

I know this was not a chain restaurant but it has been closed for at least a decade or two.

It was a pizza place in the place where Damon's is on 28th st. You woul sit and eat pizza at long tables like being in a German brau haus during Oktoberfest...the weird thing is the organ player would start playing music while rising up from the underground. Kind of freaky at the the time.

What was the name of it?

I remember now: Roaring 20s Pizza. Looks like they have one in Florida Link

What was the name of it?

It was called the Roaring 20's wasn't it? I think the organ is now in the Van Andel Museum.

What was the name of it?

I don't see how anyone could ever eat at a joint like that... :unsure:

Archived