does anyone remember Lyon & Ottawa?

tony speller

I remember when they had the fence up, signs, and everything ready for construction of this building. I was pretty excited. it would have been a great addition to the GR skyline, besides having a dominant skyscraper NOT on the river. Does anyone know why they scrapped it?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we all remember it, and we all are sad that it didn't come to fruition.

There are some threads on it, and things that were never built. They would have some answers to your questions

UP Lyon and Ottawa

As to why it didn't get built, the general consensus was that it lacked a major tennant. If memory serves the building was about 40% signed for leases, but with no major tennant to anchor it. I don't remember how tall the building was supposed to be, or if they ever released that information. I do know that the city, and the developers (DP Fox ventures?) were fighting over the height of the building given the location. Perhaps it will be brought back to the table as the downtown office market heats back up and catches on fire. Someone in the know?

I don't like it when they include spires in a buildings hieght. I don't think it would have looked 485' tall with the spire, probabally over 400. Because of the pyramid on top. I just think spires are false representations of buildings true height.

I drew that illustration from the height that was given at the time. The height makes sense to me given 25 floors of office space at 12' floors (at the most), ad in the crown and spire would seem to give the right proportions, IMO.

It would have been a great building. I remember the rendering. Very nicely done.

Archived