Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tony speller

does anyone remember Lyon & Ottawa?

17 posts in this topic

I remember when they had the fence up, signs, and everything ready for construction of this building. I was pretty excited. it would have been a great addition to the GR skyline, besides having a dominant skyscraper NOT on the river. Does anyone know why they scrapped it?

Yes we all remember it, and we all are sad that it didn't come to fruition.

There are some threads on it, and things that were never built. They would have some answers to your questions

UP Lyon and Ottawa

As to why it didn't get built, the general consensus was that it lacked a major tennant. If memory serves the building was about 40% signed for leases, but with no major tennant to anchor it. I don't remember how tall the building was supposed to be, or if they ever released that information. I do know that the city, and the developers (DP Fox ventures?) were fighting over the height of the building given the location. Perhaps it will be brought back to the table as the downtown office market heats back up and catches on fire. Someone in the know?

i'll echo what most people said in that thread and say that i remember the drawing looking a LOOOOOT different. the one he shows is pretty boring.

From the original rendering to that one, I think the only difference, is the lack of pyramid/spire on top.

cool... that looks more like that I remember seeing. The pyramid/spire really makes a big difference.

I don't like it when they include spires in a buildings hieght. I don't think it would have looked 485' tall with the spire, probabally over 400. Because of the pyramid on top. I just think spires are false representations of buildings true height.

I thought it was 485' to the top of the pyramid. The spire would have pushed it to almost 600'. But, like you, I do not like to include spires.

I remember Lyon @ Ottawa. Every time I visit the city and walk by the parcel, I think, "this is where it could have been". It's such a great location for a signiture tower away from the riverfront! :)

I drew that illustration from the height that was given at the time. The height makes sense to me given 25 floors of office space at 12' floors (at the most), ad in the crown and spire would seem to give the right proportions, IMO.

It would have been a great building. I remember the rendering. Very nicely done.

OK, my first run at Sketchup, with a Lyon Ottawa Tower and twin on the opposite corner (sans 5/3 building)

146607724_b80fe81fbf_b.jpg

are those ^ what are now being planned for Lyon & Ottawa?

are those ^ what are now being planned for Lyon & Ottawa?

Yes, now if I can just find $200 Million Dollars....

Yes, now if I can just find $200 Million Dollars....

No prob, GRdad, I think I've got that on me. Let me just check my wallet...

Adding in a few peripheral structures and pushing my heights of the two towers up. I can't believe how easy this Sketchup is to work with.

146915343_970dc1d2df_b.jpg

Looking South down Ottawa

146920232_877ad5c4e5_b.jpg