Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Mauldin Cultural Center

10 posts in this topic

I thought there was thread for this project, but can't find it anywhere. I must losing it. :P

Construction is well underway on the first building in the Mauldin Cultural Center complex:

CIMG5248.jpg

Mauldin has culture? :) Sorry...I couldn't help myself.

:rofl: It's called sprawl. Big commercial corridors and suburban neighborhoods.

:rofl: True. :rofl:

Must give them credit though, to be a suburb, they are actively building up a nice little core. This cultural center is right in the heart of their "downtown", along with all the municipal buildings. From the looks of the plan, this will be quite nice.....botanical garden, greenway trails, amphitheater, etc, etc. I've noticed they've been adding sidewalks, adding some more diverse and upscale businesses (Saigon Cafe), and I hear there are plans for sidewalks and landscaping along the couple of miles of 276 that link Mauldin with ICAR. Obviously, there is some thought process going on within this burb, other than simple sprawl mentality.

http://www.mauldin.govoffice.com/index.asp...F1056DEB12ED%7D

Mauldin has come a long way from its humble beginings as a truck stop.

You've been busy gsupstate!

I'll have to drive over to Mauldin and check this out. I haven't seen this property since it was occupied as a school!

^ Ah, not too busy. I snap a few every morning when I go get my coffee. Since I office out of my house, it gives me something to do and forces me to get out of t-shirt and shorts. :P

I'm really impressed with the plan that Mauldin has put together. If you look on the layout, they have a bridge over the tracks and have listed a "train depot". You know, these are the tracks that go thropugh ICAR and Verdae and into town. The suspected route of lightrail in the future. Nice to see a burb creating a city center like this, and imagine if lightrail comes along.....the suburbanites can park and ride or have their honey drop them at the station in the mornings, not to mention meet them there for community concerts and gatherings in the evening. This plan is pretty impressive, IMHO. :)

Very, very impressive for Mauldin to be thinking about the light rail route. That will pay off big time in 10-15 years when light rail becomes a reality for Greenville! :thumbsup:

I haven't been to Mauldin in... probably 8 months! What's this project up to these days?

Earlier in this thread we discussed the tracks that run by the site and transit future. Why hasn't Mauldin gotten on board with the City of Greenville on the GreenLink line from downtown to CU-ICAR? It'd only mean another 2 miles or so... and potentially a good many more passengers. Mauldin should try and create some 'urban' housing in their downtown. If the BRT line were extended to Mauldin, it'd be beneficial to have at least some people who could walk to the station.