Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Saint George Greek Orthodox Campus

12 posts in this topic

Saint George is embarking on multiple additions, relandscaping, expansion of their Hellenic campus in downtown:

CIMG5261.jpg

I never realized there was such a strong Greek Orthodox presence in Greenville. Despite the fact that this will take away from taxable properties in the downtown, I think churches add a lot to a downtown. They speak to the faith of the community beyond the businesses and stores.

Actually, St. George already completely covers that same block, so it won't be removing any land from the current taxable base. I am glad to see so much being done on that block. It has been in need of improvement for a long time, IMO. :)

If you go to the link Skyliner provided and navigate down to pictures gallery on the left hand side, there is a pretty extensive collection of photos of the church itself and downtown Greenville. Discover something new everyday.

I never realized there was such a strong Greek Orthodox presence in Greenville. Despite the fact that this will take away from taxable properties in the downtown, I think churches add a lot to a downtown. They speak to the faith of the community beyond the businesses and stores.

Here is another one of Greenville's Greek congregations....this one in the burbs and Coptic Orthodox:

CIMG5472.jpg

CIMG5473.jpg

Here is another one of Greenville's Greek congregations....this one in the burbs and Coptic Orthodox:

CIMG5472.jpg

CIMG5473.jpg

Actually most people who attend this church are Egyptian-Americans.

^ Wasn't Coptic branched off from Greek Orthodox?

I know I've been by that place several times before. Isn't it out on 417 between Mauldin and Simpsonville?

^ Wasn't Coptic branched off from Greek Orthodox?

The Copts are from Egypt and have been around since the early days of Christianity. Coptic Chrisitainity is believed to have been started by the Apostle Mark.