Metro Phoenix Development thread

MJLO

cool link I found from azcentral, actually I borrowed it from loftguys site. kind of a development wrap up

you might enjoy. Recent article talks about the proposed W hotel, how it won't be an obstruction for incoming air traffic. There are some other hurdles for it. Anyone in the know?

http://www.phxloftnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255

^ I have a thread on the issue...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting headline in the republic. Cranes Taking Phoenix Higher It's pretty interesting. There are a number of high rise projects actually going up right now Downtown. Also the new monster Air Traffic tower at Sky Harbor, one of the tallest in the country. To the highrise boom in Tempe. Cough, I mean midrise boom since the city leadership decided that tall buildings would make them snooty. That doesnt account for the numerous projects that are proposed, or planned. As to how many of them will actually start construction I am skeptical for. It also talk about how there has been a construction drought after the 1980's real estate collapse. Was that a Phoenix thing or country wide?

I have long thought it odd, that Phoenix for it's explosive population and economic growth, has struggled so hard to make it's city center stand out. Something not common for other boomtowns.

What I dislike is how places like Downtown Scottsdale, and Downtown Tempe, pull attention away from Downtown Phoenix. Although you have to give those city leaders credit for pulling off what seems like decades of Phoenix leadership could not.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Summit at Copper Square - 23 Floors 253'

Elevator core has reached the 23rd and final floor, the rest of the building is at floor #18.

IMG_4210.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

44 Monroe - 34 Floors 380'

Concrete has been poured for the 8th floor.

IMG_4215.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

Sheraton Downtown Hotel - 31 Floors 360'

Work is finishing up on the 3rd floor, 4th floor should be under construction shortly.

IMG_4232.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Developers of elite condos prepare for slowdown

I don't know why no one has really mentioned this yet, but this condo boom that spawned all of these fabulous projects has ended and now the demand is not there. Is it better to get the projects in there and then have them not sell (thus ruining the reputation and killing future projects), or have the projects significantly altered into a less grand scale with maybe something more mixed-used?

I dunno Colin, I think it's kind of a catch22 on this one. I understand about the talk of housing slowdown. But I have to assume that there will be people living in 44monroe and Summit. If these projects are successful, I can see more concrete commerce downtown, and perhaps other residents taking note. So these projects that have saturated the market now, might really boost the need in the future. I guess the argument can be made that Phoenix is trying to quick to grow into a big city, comeplete with dense downtown highrise living. I wonder if we as a metro area can ever over come that when everything about this valley is centered around sprawl, waste, and freeways.( For that they are only gonna build more).

What I don't understand is the slowdown. Arizona, has grown 20% in five years, as the nations fastest growing state. It has added over 1million people by the halfway point of the decade. This trend is not anywhere near predicted to slow down, and we may very well have gained well over 2million people by the time the 2010 census comes out. You'd think this would create a whirlwind of demand for housing. Is it possible that developers have seriously just built to many new homes? I can't even imagine. Can someone break the mechanics of this down for me. I'm an economics major and I still don't get it.

Not much information on this one, but it appears a hotel is slated for the parking lot directly west of US Airways Arena and south of the future CityScape site.

00001.jpg

0002d.jpg

0003d.jpg

It looks to be 35+ stories and part of the land is owned by the city which might give it a bit more chance then a completely private project.

New 16-story Ball Park Lofts to offer office, retail

Christia Gibbons

The Business Journal

A 16-story office condo building east of Chase Field and Seventh Street called Ball Park Lofts is in the works, a project of first-time high-rise developer Wayne McIntosh.

While it's early in the process, McIntosh said he's hoping to have the building at 811 E. Jackson St. up in two and a half years.

The project -- being developed by Ball Park Lofts LLC, consisting of McIntosh and other investors -- will offer offices above first-floor retail. Early projections are that office space will sell from $300,000 to $450,000 depending on size, and lease for $30 to $45 per square foot. Entire floors can be bought or leased, as can other configurations of space.

Architect Greg Mueller of San Diego-based Tucker Sadler Architects was hired for the project. Mueller has worked on Phoenix-area developments such as DC Ranch in North Scottsdale, the Hilton at Fountain Hills and WestGate City Center in Glendale.

"It's an ideal location for affordable office space," said leasing agent Dennis Kolodin of Realty Executives. "Obviously it will have beautiful views."

Kolodin also is the retail leasing agent for Orpheum Lofts, Tapestry on Central and Landmark on Central.

He said the Ball Park Lofts will not be in direct competition with the nearby CityScape project, as the land east of Seventh Street is "significantly less expensive than on the other side of the street."

Still, there's always some competition, and he and McIntosh said they hope the project is up before CityScape. The much-touted residential/office/hotel/entertainment project is planned for three city blocks from First Avenue to Second Street and Jefferson to Washington streets.

CityScape is scheduled for a first-phase opening in 2009, with completion in 2011. Developers include RED Development LLC, Barron Collier Cos., Novare Group, Cardon Development Group and Callison Architects.

A 25-year resident of the town of Paradise Valley and originally from Los Angeles, McIntosh was an investment banker for 20 years and a Denny's franchisee in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. He's also worked with Bill Prather of El Paso Bar-B-Que Co.

"I love what's happening in downtown Phoenix," McIntosh said, remembering going to Suns games at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Thanks go to the city's redevelopment efforts and "Jerry Colangelo for bringing everything into downtown," McIntosh said of his interest in the area.

McIntosh said he has owned the land for about eight months, but would not reveal what he paid because he's trying to acquire more in the area. Light rail and railroad lines will be close by, he said.

"I could live anywhere in the country, and I've picked here. I adore it," he said.

At one time, he and his wife contemplated moving back to Newport Beach, Calif., but being stuck in traffic trying to take their children to Disneyland convinced them to stay in Arizona.

As for his downtown project, McIntosh said he'd like to be the first one out with some office lofts.

Get connected

CityScape: www.downtownphxrising.org.

Realty Executives, Dennis Kolodin: 602-315-9292.

Tucker Sadler Architects: www.tuckersadler.com.

holy crap that's outstanding! thanks HX. You always come thru. I hope that hotel goes thru quickly because I like the look of it. I don't always know if glass is the best building material in the desert, but hey it's pretty!~

hotels_pic1.jpg

As we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the original 1931 Valley National Bank building, Grace Communities is renovating this historic landmark and reopening the doors as the Hotel Monroe. When completed, this chic newly renovated boutique hotel will be located in downtown Phoenix in the center of Copper Square at the intersection of Central Avenue and Monroe Street, arguably one of the finest locations in the valley. The Hotel Monroe provides approximately 144 rooms ranging from standard, junior suites and one and two bedroom suites. The eleventh floor of the hotel will be designated as the concierge floor featuring several unique suites & penthouses. The twelfth floor will feature a unique nightclub with sunset views of downtown and the valley. Hotel guests will enjoy a variety of cuisine options and entertainment venues including a five star restaurant and lounge, wine bar, night clubs and a barista caf

Edited by HX_Guy

Where do you come up with this stuff? That's amazing. What do you guys think the likeliness of these having ground broken for them. Cityscape too. If Cityscape goes verticle, I think a whole new chapter in actual Phoenix centered development will ensue. Taking some of the spotlight away from Tempe, Scottsdale and Glendale.