Metro Phoenix Development thread

MJLO

Apartment towers on track downtown

The article talks about an apartment complex called The Jet, with 675 apartments in "36- and 23-story towers on Second Avenue between Fillmore and Van Buren streets":

Construction could begin on the 36-story tower late this year or early 2008, and it could open as early as fall 2009, Onken said.

Apartment towers on track downtown

The article talks about an apartment complex called The Jet, with 675 apartments in "36- and 23-story towers on Second Avenue between Fillmore and Van Buren streets":

There's another one called Alta Phoenix Lofts (mentioned previously in this thread) with "332 apartments under construction near the southeastern corner of Fillmore and Third streets" which could be ready for move-in by Summer 2008.

• 1 month later...

Tribal farms near Phoenix flourish as demand grows

It's interesting to me because these farms are the only ones in the Valley where development can't get to them, and the tribes are poised to profit from it. Aside from the commercial interest, you also have a huge potential for growth in organic growing, something I don't think they've gotten into yet.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of proposals...here are two more. :D

Very preliminary right now with not very many details, but it appears to be a condo/hotel tower at 43 stories tall, making it one of the tallest buildings in Phoenix.

The Art Deco building immediately to the right of the tower is the 1931 Valley National Bank building which is currently being renovated into a boutique hotel by the same developer who wants to put up the Momentum tower. The same developer is also currently topping out a 34 story condo tower, 44 Monroe, just down the street from this project. Bottom line, they definitely already have a strong presence in Phoenix's downtown.

I love the architecture of this one, something new and striking for Phoenix.

MomentumTower.jpg

32 Stories / 375'

Client: W Developments, Inc.

Core and Shell Architect: HKS

Contractor: The Weitz Company

Residential: 204 Units

Retail: 8,000 sf

Parking: 299 Cars

Currently in the permitting process.

I understand that W Developments is a big condo developer in Chicago?

They are also behind the 23 story high rise condo, Summit at Copper Square, which is getting ready for it's first residents to move in. Another rumor is that they never announce a project that they don't follow through on...so I guess we'll see how this one plays out.

OmegaBIG1.jpg

OmegaBIG2.jpg

OmegaBIG3.jpg

OmegaBIG4.jpg

Edited by HX_Guy

I love those! The one next to the old Valley national Bank Building is what PHX needs for sure, reminds me of Buildings in Atlanta and such. If only we could get a few Office Towers to approach 700-800' feet. Who knows what will happen once LRT is in full swing.

It's not really up to the city. The height limit is imposed by the FAA and with Sky Harbor's runway being only about 3 miles east of downtown, I don't see they raising it in the core.

In midtown and even as close to downtown as north of Fillmore, they can build without limit I believe. I think there are city limit of about 700', but if someone seriously wanted to build taller I'm sure the city would give a variance...that is, if the NIMBYS would shut the hell up. :)

Either way, the lack of height isn't the least bit of a problem with Phoenix's downtown. We don't really need 700'+ tall towers. I would rather see 10 400' towers then 5 800' towers.

Agreed, I prefer Density, I'm sticking with both 10 400' towers, and 5 800' towers, we need both, otherwise we turn out like San Diego, cool city, boring skyline. Most cities have their share of dense midrise towers, but it takes one or two iconic structures to make a skyline stand out. It would be cool to have people across the country be able to recognize Phoenix by pictures.

if you were to show a person a skyline of san diego they most likely wouldnt know what ther're looking at. show them a picture of chicago on the other hand. i think mjlo is right, all it takes is one iconic building and people remember the city for that reason alone. the valley is probably a long ways away from that though. so can buildings be built as high as wanted in up-town? what i gathered from what hx guy said was that mid town is where the hight restrictions came into play.

• 1 month later...