William Gateway Apt

MJLO

In an article talking about a couple of good moves the city has made, one of them is on the partnership they have made to invest in Williams Gateway Airport. The article talks about how growth will continue in the valley, and how gateway has an advantage in it's size, giving it the ability to grow when compared to Skyharbor. This is good news because Skyharbor will meet its capacity sooner than we think. And instead of having a competing airport, we can have to Airports working in unison to meet the capacity of the growing area. It also mentions how the "burgeoning" east valley, will soon have about one and a half million people in it, creating a great need for developement of gateway. They say how there could be a possibility of Gateway surpassing sky harbor as the major airport one day but I wonder about that.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed in the light rail plans, that there will be stops at Sky harbor, and also that sky harbor will be getting it's own tram system. I think that's great since Phoenix has to be the only mega airport in the country with out a Tram system. Where will the airport inner loop run for the light rail? Anyone know?

I think that's great since Phoenix has to be the only mega airport in the country with out a Tram system.

Yeah, making people stand outside for that stupid bus doesn't make much sense when it's 115. Especially outside of Terminal 4 where you don't have anything to block the sun.

I hadn't heard about it. I knew that they had raised parking fees and were planning on some major renovations with the extra cash. I'd imagine that it will follow the road, though. That's probably the easiest place to construct it.

Well it makes me wonder, I work for Host Marriot at Sky Harbor, so I'm there everyday, It seems so packed right now. If I had to guess I'd say they'd plow right thru the middle of the terminus, or perhaps even do a subway thing. It's just hard to see where' they'd have space along the blvd. I had also heard that they are planning to upgrade terminal two. I really hope that means they make it like three and four. Two is just ugly the way it sits now. I'm going to do more research. I'll see what I can find.

• 2 months later...

A Chicago real estate trust firm has Purchased almost 300 acres of land at the corner of Ellsworth and Elliot Near Gateway airport. The East Valley Tribune reports the company is planning on getting zoning approved and construction started in about a year on a mixed Commercial, Industrial, and office park. Do you guys think that if Passenger Traffic starts at gateway, that the area around it is going to explode with growth? This Chicago company seems to think so.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more Gateway news to depart. The Republic is reporting that the airport increased Passenger traffic by 90% last year. The airport has so damn lofty goals I'd say. 2 million in passenger traffic. It can happen especially with the City of Phoenix being part owner in the airport, It can really go a long way as a relief port for Sky harbor. However considering that they only handled 3000 passengers last year, It will be forever before they are anywhere near a Tucson or a Grand Rapids.

• 2 weeks later...
Chandler Municipal Airport Is starting to see economic growth, because of the new loop 202 Santan. Didn't think this was worthy of it's own thread. How many municipal airports does Maricopa County need? Do they really serve a purpose other than private aircraft used for leisure purposes? I can see the case being made for Gateway Airport. Sky Harbor intends to utilize it more in the future as a reliever airport. Aside from that there is already commercial passenger traffic that flies out of it. But every city in the valley having their own airport seems a little redundant, and counter productive. The case can be made that they drive economic growth. As seen in this case, but they businesses that are moving in around this airport have little, if anything at all to do with Aviation. I would say that more importantly the 202 freeway is driving that growth, and that The airport is just in the middle of it. What this says to me, what I have said before is that the cities in the valley really embody a corporate mentality. Instead of working together for the greater good. They compete against each other all trying to be more important and more economically vital Than the ones before them. I know it seems that leadership in AZ are just now starting to think long term. But I wonder now that they are planning for the growth that happened 20 years ago. Will they still be using these same policies 20 years from now when times have changed and people arent moving here by the thousands. Then all of these competitive economic policies will turn around and bite them in the ass!

• 4 months later...
Busiest day ever at WGA, as a passenger airport. A bunch of chartered flights left out of the terminal. It's the only other valley airport that can handle 737's. I really think it's only a matter of time before a fulltime airline sets up shop in there and it takes it's place as a reliever airport.

Southwest is known for using secondary airports (Washington National, Houston Hobby, Dallas Love Field, Long Island Islip, etc), so they would probably be the first. They even threatened Sea-Tac a couple of years ago with moving to Boeing Field because they felt they were paying too much (Sea-Tac was their highest fee airport before Denver service began).

I dunno if they'd do the same in PHX. Sky Harbor is a relatively cheap airport to do business in. Aside from that the airport is already completely rebuilding terminal two in the coming months, to accommodate Southwest all by itself. Although they could threaten to move to Gateway, PHX already owns part of it.

That's how it works though (and how it went down at Sea-Tac): Southwest gets them to spend loads of money on expansions without any kind of committment (and I'm sure there is none at PHX) and then grabs their proverbial cahones and threatens to leave.

Plus, from my cruising the travel forums, there's a lot of people out there upset with Sky Harbor because of the dramatic increase in "usage fees" to pay back that rental car center. And, from what I understand, it's not even adjacent to the airport?? I thought it was right there on Buckeye at the west entrance?

The Cities of Scottsdale and Phoenix agreed upon a joint resolution in April 1978 which had implications for Scottsdale Airport. The two cities agreed that Sky Harbor International Airport would be the only airport in the two cities that would be allowed to accommodate large air carrier aircraft such as the B-727, B-737, DC-9, DC-8, and similar aircraft. That agreement remains in effect. [source]

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, they are really starting to make a push for more passenger service at Gateway. The article centers around flat increases in Airport revenue. But it also talks about adding daily flights to certain parts of the country. Trying to lure new airlines. I think that's great. It'd be great to have a reliever airport up and running in the valley, Sky Harbor Traffic is expected to exceed 55 million this year. It's quickly advancing on Dallas to be the nations 4th busiest airport.

the article

• 4 weeks later...
Did you know Williams Gateway has three passenger airlines with daily scheduled flights? They are expanding them into the SOCAL area. The oldest is the flight to Chicago/Gary airport. I know we've been talking about increased passenger traffic at the airport. But I think it's further along than what we all originally thought. I have no doubt that this airport will serve as SkyHarbors reliever. There really is no better choice for it.

• 6 months later...

Archived