Lost Grand Rapids: What ever happen to these objects?

GR_Urbanist

Here are a few old landmarks that have disappeared in the recent past. Does anyone remember what happened to them?

1. The little enclosure that was near where the Vanderberg statue is today. It was a white, domed structure that housed several public pay phones. It disappeared in the early 90s.

2. The little, yellow, "dog" stature that was outside the old location of GRTV when it was still in the library basement. I last saw it in the library parking lot when they were renovating the building.

3. Outside the GRCC parking ramp, on Fountain, was an unusual blue sculpture. It was across the street from the library parking lot. The best way to describe it is two blue zigzag lines that intersect "><><".

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where it went but if I'm not mistaken, number 1 was part of an old building that had been demo'd during urban renewal.

I worked at GRTV (CMC actually) in the library building and don't even remember a yellow dog statue.. weird.

Joe

Here are a few old landmarks that have disappeared in the recent past. Does anyone remember what happened to them?

1. The little enclosure that was near where the Vanderberg statue is today. It was a white, domed structure that housed several public pay phones. It disappeared in the early 90s.

2. The little, yellow, "dog" stature that was outside the old location of GRTV when it was still in the library basement. I last saw it in the library parking lot when they were renovating the building.

3. Outside the GRCC parking ramp, on Fountain, was an unusual blue sculpture. It was across the street from the library parking lot. The best way to describe it is two blue zigzag lines that intersect "><><".

I always assumed they were some sort of water pipes or something, in which case they were probably were tossed on the redesign...

Archived