Lagniappe

NCB

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like P.O.D. :thumbsup: I've got 5 or 6 of their more recent songs on my iPod, but I'm familiar with many more than that.

I love P.O.D. as well. I have one of their CDs... I believe it's called Satellite. It's got the song Satellite, as well as Youth of the Nation and others. Youth of the Nation is one of my favorite songs by any artist, because it's god a cool sound and a very powerful message. It's a little personal to me, because I'd fallen in with a pretty dark crowd in high school and I had a few friends whose personas were similar to the main character in the song. But the message is so powerful, the song just gets to me on a personal level. I love it.

I love P.O.D. as well. I have one of their CDs... I believe it's called Satellite. It's got the song Satellite, as well as Youth of the Nation and others. Youth of the Nation is one of my favorite songs by any artist, because it's god a cool sound and a very powerful message. It's a little personal to me, because I'd fallen in with a pretty dark crowd in high school and I had a few friends whose personas were similar to the main character in the song. But the message is so powerful, the song just gets to me on a personal level. I love it.

I owned Satellite, but I've been looking for it for about 9 months now. I have no idea where I left the damn thing. Anyway, it is a great CD. And I really like "Youth of the Nation" along with the song "Satellite" and many others as well.

Hey yall, wow that's really cool we all listen to P.O.D !

They have really matured musically since their first release way back in 93' Snuff the Punk. I have all their music, but like you Nate, I have misplaced some of them. Now I gotta look for those. Ex- Living Sacrifice lead guitar player joined P.O.D. at the end of 03'. I thought that was crazy that this could happen that two of my fav. bands.

I can't remember everything... 99' Fundamental Elements of Southtown seemed to take them to the next level ! Satellite came-out on 9-11 or was that another one ? It was ironic and powerful that P.O.D. would just happen to release something on that dark day. "Alive" was actually the last song played as we were leaving at the end of my wedding reception.

"Boom" was a cool song for LSU Football ! Their newest Testify is really good too. One lost single-release I only heard a few times"Sleeping Awake", not on a CD, was on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, but I did not want buy it if I only liked that song. There are some I know I am forgetting.

^That's actually a pretty cool website there, Brian. I always like looking at those "Louisiana language" translation sites. I've alway thought it is cool that there are so many words and phrases that you will never hear outside of certain parts of Louisiana.

^That's actually a pretty cool website there, Brian. I always like looking at those "Louisiana language" translation sites. I've alway thought it is cool that there are so many words and phrases that you will never hear outside of certain parts of Louisiana.

There were actually a couple of words on there even I'd never heard. Most of them I've heard, though. Like the one about a neighborhood butchering or something like that... WTF?! We don't do things like that up here... :lol:

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Like the one about a neighborhood butchering or something like that... WTF?! We don't do things like that up here... :lol:

Haha, yea, there are a bunch of words on there that will make anyone not from the area have that reaction.

Brian, what does the mighty mountain of our great state, Mt. Driskell look like? How far is that from your place? It's about 30 miles southwest of Ruston? Well it is taller than anything mountain in Florida. ha. I know of some other places(west of I-49, SW of Natchitoces,sp ?) that are nearly as tall in parts of west/northwest LA.

Good for Ruston ! Wonder if Terry Bradshaw stays around there ? Brian , what does the mighty mountain of our great state, Mt. Driskell look like ? How far is that from your place ? It's about 30 miles southwest of Ruston ? Well it is taller than anything mountain in Florida. ha I know of some other places(west of I-49, SW of Natchitoces,sp ?) that are nearly as tall in parts of west/northwest LA.

Terry Bradshaw did play for Tech, but he's actually from Shreveport. He now resides in Dallas and has a ranch in Oklahoma. I'm sure Ruston holds a place in his heart, though. Last year, Shreveport named the Inner Loop Expressway (LA 3132) the Terry Bradshaw Passway and he has a star on the Walk of Stars in the Red River District in downtown Shreveport, so I know a big piece of his heart is still here as well.

Sorry, wish I could tell you about Mount Driskell. I've only heard of it, although I've joked many times about visiting it and taking pictures. From what I hear it's not much larger than an ant mound. :lol: I'm also not exactly sure where it's at. I've seen it on a map, but it's been a while since I've seen that.

Louisiana has some fairly high spots, but most states would laugh at us for calling one of them MOUNT Driskell.

How high is 'Mount' Driskell?

It's okay, Rod, I can hear your laughter all the way down here. Man you're loud. It must be echoing off 'Mount' Driskill before reaching my ears or something.

It appears that 'Mount' Driskill is 535 ft above sea level. Here's a link to a related webpage at a website appropriately named... ahem... "Hysterical History."

http://www.hystericalhistory.com/page3.html

Hmmm...535 ft, I wonder what the rest of the surrounding land is. I think around Pine Bluff in southeast Arkansas it's generally around 200 ft so it's probably even less down there. 300 to 400, or maybe even 500 ft is a bit of a difference. Sorry to get this even more offtopic here. But I was curious what's the elevations of some of your areas down in Louisiana? Maybe I should get Nate to move this over into the Lagniappe topic.

Edited by Mith242

Sorry to get this even more offtopic here. But I was curious what's the elevations of some of your areas down in Louisiana? Maybe I should get Nate to move this over into the Lagniappe topic.

Here on the northshore of Lake Ponchartrain, elevations vary greatly. Parts of east Saint Tammany Parish are a few feet below sea level, or many feet above. Most of the area around the cities of Mandeville and Madisonville, which are both along the lake here in western Saint Tammany, are below sea level, and the city of Covington is right at sea level. Where I live, about 3 miles north of the center of Covington, it's about 100 feet above sea level, and the town of Folsom, which is about 10 miles north of Covington, is over 170 feet above sea level.

Most of the French Quarter in New Orleans is around 3-4 feet above sea level, and most of lower downtown is above sea level. A thin strip of Uptown, mostly the parts right along the river, are above sea level. Basically any part of New Orleans that was settled when the city was originally being built up is at or above sea level. Most of the places you saw flood during Katrina have been settled in the last 100 years or so. New Orleans East for example, was pure marsh and wetlands 30 years ago, but the water was drained and settlement of the area began in the early 80's. If you look at old pictures or paintings of New Orleans, you'll notice that there wasn't anything going on in places that now flood frequently. The original residents knew what they were doing, and thats why levee's weren't even needed throughout most of the city's history.

BTW, I can surely move these posts over to the Lagniappe topic if y'all like.

But you know, from my perspective, that's pretty funny! ;)

Snot funny, it sucks. Bad.

Now we're toying with the idea of trading my wife's car in on a Honda Civic, but the '06 Sonata is an awfully attractive car for less tha n $20,000 and with a 100,000 mile warranty. Decisions, decisions. Then there's always the thought of just keeping her car, since we'll have it paid off in just a few months, and not having another car note. But I'm really bad... I like to spend money and I like nice things.

Snot funny, it sucks. Bad.

Now we're toying with the idea of trading my wife's car in on a Honda Civic, but the '06 Sonata is an awfully attractive car for less tha n $20,000 and with a 100,000 mile warranty. Decisions, decisions. Then there's always the thought of just keeping her car, since we'll have it paid off in just a few months, and not having another car note. But I'm really bad... I like to spend money and I like nice things.

I've always been a Toyota man myself. :D