Lagniappe

NCB

Snot funny, it sucks. Bad.

Oh yea, I know. I had the wink in there. We've all got to deal with the prices of gas right now, and it doesn't look like it will be getting any better anytime soon. <_<

But I'm really bad... I like to spend money and I like nice things.

I'm willing to bet that millions of men, including me, have a similar problem. :lol:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always been a Toyota man myself. :D

Hey, I like Toyota as well. My favorites, so far, are as follows:

Honda

Toyota

Hyundai

Nissan

Mitsubishi

Sorry, American-made, autos... until you get your act together, you'll never make my list. I live in a city that's home to a huge GM plant where they make the Colorado, Canyon, and Hummer H3, and I even know a few people who work there or at any of the many suppliers... but do I care? Heck no. Make a better product and then I'll buy.

Thanks Brian. That's funny. A whopping 535 ft. That 4" of snow and temps in the 20's for northern Louisiana was no joke. I think that was New Years of 2001 ?

It most certainly was, Richy. I was at the Independence Bowl that evening. When my date and I walked from the car to the stadium, there was nothing coming down but a few flurries. The closer we got to the stadium, the harder it got. We were getting a little concerned, because she had to drive back to east Texas after the game. But the weather man predicted nothing more than maybe 1" tops. Wrong. Halfway through the game, we left and went to a friend's house to finish watching the game on ESPN from the comfort of a living room some 15-20 miles down the road. I'll tell you what was fun, though... driving the 15-20 miles from the stadium to the suburbs in that mess when I'd never driven in snow and ice before in my life. My date and I were in separate cars, and we nearly collided many times. I ran up on a sidewalk outside LSU Medical Center, nearly hitting a pedestrian and a cop. Later on in the drive, I had to go down a good-sized hill next to Byrd High School. There were cars all over the side of the road, wrecked, and there was a news crew standing in the middle of the street doing a story live. To think I came very close to running that newsman over in the middle of the street, and on live TV. And I'll bet that wasn't the only close call he had... standing out in the street like a fool when cars were crashing all around him. Idiot.

I guess we should see what everyone else thinks. I just feel a bit bad for getting this topic so off course. But after mentioning elevation and such I've wondered what the general elevation is around the state down there.

Hey, we're all equally guilty. I think we all enjoy conversing over here so it's really easy for us to go off-topic. I vote for moving the discussion to Lagniappe.

Hey, I like Toyota as well. My favorites, so far, are as follows:

Honda

Toyota

Hyundai

Nissan

Mitsubishi

Sorry, American-made, autos... until you get your act together, you'll never make my list. I live in a city that's home to a huge GM plant where they make the Colorado, Canyon, and Hummer H3, and I even know a few people who work there or at any of the many suppliers... but do I care? Heck no. Make a better product and then I'll buy.

I'm a Chevy truck man myself. Z71 Silverado all the way. :D

So Brian what's the elevation like around your area of the state?

I believe the elevation of Shreveport is roughly 285 ft. above sea level. I'm not certain, but I believe that's what I recall hearing. The terrain around here is mostly flat, but there are some pretty big hills in certain areas. Even in downtown there is a hill or two that's unbelievably massive for an area so flat. Most of the hills are on the outskirts of downtown, but there are also some pretty big hills in some of the suburban areas as well. There's a new subdivision being developed between Bossier City and Haughton, called Dogwood South, with some pretty big homes and that subdivision has some pretty big hills. As flat as most of this area is, that subdivision will catch you off-guard very easily.

I'm a Chevy truck man myself. Z71 Silverado all the way. :D

You'd make my brother proud. His isn't a Z71, but it's a '97 Silverado and he loves it. He bought it back in '99 and I'd hate to know how many miles he's got on it now.

I will say, I do like the look of the Silverado and I also like the Colorado and Canyon (those two are the same truck, but one is marketed as a Chevy and the other as a GM.) But would I own one? I'm not too sure. My neighbor has a Trailblazer and loves it... swears he's had no problems with it. But I'm just so leery of American-made autos these days. And to be quite honest, I hate the fact that I do... but I just can't buy something I don't trust.

By the way, Mr. Moderator, is this discussion heading toward Lagniappe as well? Hmmmm?

:lol:

I believe the elevation of Shreveport is roughly 285 ft. above sea level. I'm not certain, but I believe that's what I recall hearing. The terrain around here is mostly flat, but there are some pretty big hills in certain areas. Even in downtown there is a hill or two that's unbelievably massive for an area so flat. Most of the hills are on the outskirts of downtown, but there are also some pretty big hills in some of the suburban areas as well. There's a new subdivision being developed between Bossier City and Haughton, called Dogwood South, with some pretty big homes and that subdivision has some pretty big hills. As flat as most of this area is, that subdivision will catch you off-guard very easily.

Now that Nate has moved things over I'll respond. That's a bit higher than what I was expecting. Pine Bluff Arkansas, where I grew up, is more around 200 ft. Just for some perspective Fayetteville is from 1,100 to 1,700 ft. Depending on what part of the city you're in. :D

Haha, hey man, you started it! :lol:

Nuh-uh I didn't, you poopy-head. :cry:

Okay, yeah... I've had one too many Red Bulls today obviously! And my left eye won't stop twitching from the caffeine. Now I know what Beavis felt like 99.9% of the time.

By the way, the new Coca-Cola product, Vault, which is a "hybrid energy beverage" is awesome. I love it!

Nuh-uh I didn't, you poopy-head. :cry:

Okay, yeah... I've had one too many Red Bulls today obviously! And my left eye won't stop twitching from the caffeine. Now I know what Beavis felt like 99.9% of the time.

By the way, the new Coca-Cola product, Vault, which is a "hybrid energy beverage" is awesome. I love it!

I wasn't that impressed with Vault. To me it seemed more like just another soft drink. Sorry I'm going to get us more offtopic again. Has anyone had Coke Blak yet?

Haha, yea I really like it too. A nice mix of an enegry drink and a soft drink. That, and it's only 79 cents for a 20oz bottle. :thumbsup: Though I try not to drink soft drinks too often.

Alright guys, all off-topic posts from the "Wal-Mart moving out of a Louisiana town" thread have been moved into the Lagniappe thread. If you have any other requests, please ask.

I request our Moderator stop taking us off-topic. You know we're going to follow our fearless leader, so it's not fair for you to take advantage of our feeble minds!!

I wasn't that impressed with Vault. To me it seemed more like just another soft drink. Sorry I'm going to get us more offtopic again. Has anyone had Coke Blak yet?

Oh no my post got left behind. :P

Haha, yea I really like it too. A nice mix of an enegry drink and a soft drink. That, and it's only 79 cents for a 20oz bottle. :thumbsup: Though I try not to drink soft drinks too often.

It's that price up here as well. I wonder if it's that way everywhere.

Can't say I've tried, or even heard of Coke Blak. What exactly is it?

It's that price up here as well. I wonder if it's that way everywhere.

I've seen it sold in stores in Mississippi for 79 cents, so I'm guessing it's that way everywhere.

Can't say I've tried, or even heard of Coke Blak. What exactly is it?

I've seen it sold in stores in Mississippi for 79 cents, so I'm guessing it's that way everywhere.

Weird, I wonder if they're testing it up in our market first before they release it elsewhere. It's basically Coke trying to do something to get in on Starbuck's popular coffee drinks. I can't say I liked it at all. It tasted like Diet Coke and burnt coffee.

Now that Nate has moved things over I'll respond. That's a bit higher than what I was expecting. Pine Bluff Arkansas, where I grew up, is more around 200 ft. Just for some perspective Fayetteville is from 1,100 to 1,700 ft. Depending on what part of the city you're in. :D

Okay, I know I'd heard 285 ft somewhere before, but according to www.city-data.com, Shreveport's elevation is 209 ft. But then again, the elevation is all relative to where it's officially being observed. It could vary quite a bit from there on out so who knows. Or is 209 ft. an average elevation? Heck, who knows...

I almost asked this in the Louisiana Csuisine topic but I guess it fits in better over here. Do you guys have a favorite ice cream? I figured as warm as it is down there year round you guys must appreciate ice cream. :D

Blue Bell Cookies & Cream and Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

Mmmmm....

As a matter of fact, since I don't officially start my diet/exercise routine back until tomorrow (oh God how I dread tomorrow,) I have some Blue Bell Cookies & Cream in the freezer right now. I'd forgotten all about it... we bought it on our way home last night.

Blue Bell Cookies & Cream and Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

Mmmmm....

As a matter of fact, since I don't officially start my diet/exercise routine back until tomorrow (oh God how I dread tomorrow,) I have some Blue Bell Cookies & Cream in the freezer right now. I'd forgotten all about it... we bought it on our way home last night.

Yeah Blue Bell has made big inroads here in Arkansas. Yarnell's was the big ice cream company for a long time because it's from Arkansas but Blue Bell has become pretty big here. I do like Blue Bell's Banana Pudding ice cream. I also noticed they had something interesting in their pints. A Mexican chocolate and Mexican vanilla ice cream.

I request our Moderator stop taking us off-topic. You know we're going to follow our fearless leader, so it's not fair for you to take advantage of our feeble minds!!

It's tough being the man at the top... :P

I almost asked this in the Louisiana Csuisine topic but I guess it fits in better over here. Do you guys have a favorite ice cream? I figured as warm as it is down there year round you guys must appreciate ice cream. :D

Man, anything chocolate. Anything. Especially Ben and Jerry's Fudge Brownie. yum. Though that stuff will get you fat faster than you can open up the carton. I also like frozen yogurt, which I really got into when I had to drop some weight awhile back. Very little calories, little or no fat, and great texture and taste. It's a more healthy replacement to ice cream. :thumbsup: