Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

I love those hills. Great view... I can imagine it's even more beautiful in person.

Here's my contribution for today... (do I consider it 7-28 or 7-29 since it's 11:59 pm? lol)

Downtown Shreveport as seen from "the other side of the tracks." In the somewhat foreground, on the left side, is the 'Once in a Millennium Moon' mural on the old AT&T building. The mural covers 2 or 3 sides of the building and is said to be the largest public mural in the nation.

Part of the Shreveport skyline can be seen in the background. :D

171717289.jpg

We saw that Mural as we drove by on I-20. Thanks for posting this, Brian! We were wondering about it. Although it's hard to discern from the photo unless you note the red car for scale, this mural is HUGE!

I'm on an abstract kick, somewhat, so ... here's the crown of one of the RiverPlace office buildings in Greenville, South Carolina, as my contribution for today:

199944113_6c2278d1c3_b.jpg

Edited by RestedTraveler

These are a couple of shots from the Enterprise South Mega industrial site in Chattanooga which has been in search of a major auto assembly plant. It is considered one of the premier automotive sites in the nation, and is considered one of the frontrunners for a Toyota assembly plant. Hopefully, an announcement will come in the next several months.

PB190764.jpg

PB190765.jpg

7/28/06

The historic Horseshoe at the University of South Carolina. This is where the first university building went up more than 200 years ago and is the heart of the campus.

DSC01094.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

A gap in the trees reveals Columbia's CBD a few blocks from campus. Columbia's tallest seen in the first pic.

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

Great to see Natchitoches getting some representation on the forum! Just a little FYI for everyone, Natchitoches is the oldest official settlement in Louisiana. New Orleans was settled first in the early 1690's, but Natchitoches was officially founded in 1714, with New Orleans being officially founded four years later in 1718.

Any friend of yours is a friend of mine, especially these fine reptiles! I wonder if I attended U.F. with any of them. :unsure:

:rofl:

:lol: Who knows!? Sorry, I really couldn't catch these guys' names... they were busy chowing down on whole chickens and were merely grunting at me.

FYI: a little more info about Natchitoches that most people may or may not recall, but this beautiful north Louisiana town was where the movie Steel Magnolias was filmed. :thumbsup: Just last week the movie A Year Without Santa Claus, starring John Goodman and Eddie Griffin, wrapped up shooting in downtown Natchitoches and moved to the StageWorks soundstage in Shreveport to film the rest of the movie. It was over 100 degrees in downtown Natchitoches while they were filming, but yet they made it "snow" on the streets there for the film. I just felt really bad for John Goodman, because he had to wear that Santa suit outside in 100+ degree weather every day! But hey, that's why he's paid the big bucks.

Here's a bonus photo. I happened to catch a conversation between two of these thunder lizards as it was occurring. I couldn't make out the exact conversation too clearly since these guys tend to grunt a lot, but I know I heard a "wuzzzzzzup!?" as I snapped this photo:

172475521.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Nice pics guys, some nice diversity. :D

Great to see Natchitoches getting some representation on the forum! Just a little FYI for everyone, Natchitoches is the oldest official settlement in Louisiana. New Orleans was settled first in the early 1690's, but Natchitoches was officially founded in 1714, with New Orleans being officially founded four years later in 1718.

I always thought that was odd. I always would have thought Louisiana would have a settlement before Arkansas because it's on the coast. But Arkansas Post was established in 1686. But it never did real well. The river flooded a lot there and they eventually moved the capitol to Little Rock.

NCB, you wrong for that. :)

:lol:

I had to, man. And you knew it was coming eventually!

And Hankster, I agree about the Plaza Tower. I don't think it's that bad looking, but it ain't pretty either. And the fact that it is 531 feet tall helps its case a bit. It's almost an icon of sorts in New Orleans, as it has been standing tall near the Superdome all by itself for nearly 40 years now. Though I'm going to be very happy to see it converted into a modern condo tower.

Plaza Tower will become Crescent City Towers:

1.gif

Hey, I've stayed at that Marriott before in the N.O. pic. A great convention it was, to be sure. Isn't Bourbon only about 2 blocks from the hotel?

Bourbon is about 3 square blocks up Canal from the Marriot. That hotel is in a fantastic location, it's in the heart of one of the busiest parts of the CBD, right up next to the French Quarter, only a few blocks from the Riverfront, and you have acces to the Warehouse District, Uptown, and Mid-City via the Saint Charles Avenue streetcar line. :thumbsup:

What convention were you attending in New Orleans?

A fraternity convention back in '01. The best I've been to thus far. ;)

I've heard that the frat conventions in New Orleans are usually great. Glad to hear you had a good time here. :thumbsup:

If the last time you were here was in 2001, Canal Street looks quite a bit different. In that photo you can see construction barriers on the road around the Marriot, and that's part of the huge renovation project taking place on Canal that is about 35% completed right now.

Here's one of the rendering's for the project:

AAAACANAL.gif