Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Great work with all the Richmond photos, guys! I'm loving them.

Thanks guys! :D

Here's a shot of what I believe is just a watertower off of I-85 outside of Greenville in South Carolina.

img6011bordergi1.jpg

Shouldn't that be in Georgia instead though? ;)

....I mean, it is the Peach State and all.........

You guys might like this one. I'm pretty sure I haven't posted it in this topic (if I have, please tell me and I'll get rid of it).

This is the Atlanta skyline as seen riding into the city from the West along I-20:

104951639_d5ef712b5f_b.jpg

Great work with all the Richmond photos, guys! I'm loving them.

Shouldn't that be in Georgia instead though? ;)

....I mean, it is the Peach State and all.........

You guys might like this one. I'm pretty sure I haven't posted it in this topic (if I have, please tell me and I'll get rid of it).

This is the Atlanta skyline as seen riding into the city from the West along I-20:

104951639_d5ef712b5f_b.jpg

Awesome shots of Greenville and Atlanta, RT and IC! :D

Richmond, as seen from Shockoe Bottom. Darn power lines....

DSC03959.jpg

Edited by TBurban

A couple of shots looking towards Norfolk (across the Elizabeth River) from the City of Portsmouth.

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Kinda fuzzy this one....

Picture005.jpg

And a picture from Richmond, VA's historic Fan District. The Fan District is the largest and oldest contiguous neighborhood of Victorian homes in the country:

fan.jpg

I believe I'm correct in saying that Spartanburg County produces more peaches than the entire state of Georgia... Needless to say SC produces more.

I think you are right, but I'll have to do a little research on it.

This, of course, raises the question, why is Georgia the Peach State to begin with?

Great shot of the skyline, NCB!

Was it, by any chance, taken from inside a building?

Thanks! And yes, it was taken from the 13th floor of One Canal Place on Canal Street near the Riverfront. There is some glare from the window, but I thought it was alright otherwise. From that angle, you get a good view of the low and mid-rise density in downtown New Orleans. Many of the low/mid-rise brick buildings you see towards the bottoom left corner of the picture were built between the 1850's and about 1910, and are protected under more preservation laws than I could even begin to count.

BTW, great picture from you as well, IC! I haven't spent that much time in Centennial Olympic Park, and most of it was about 8 years ago, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit. :thumbsup:

img6011bordergi1.jpg

I love that peach! I went on a business trip a couple a months ago to Charlotte and saw the Peach right next to I-85. It's true that South Carolina produces more peaches than Georgia. That's been true for years now. It's ironic that Georgia is famous for being "The Peach" state instead of South Carolina.

I think you are right, but I'll have to do a little research on it.

This, of course, raises the question, why is Georgia the Peach State to begin with?

This is the closest I could find:

"After the Civil War, Georgia growers developed several hardy peach varieties. The new varieties boosted the commercial peach industry and made Georgia the 'Peach State.'"

Source

So it simply appears that peaches were more important to Georgia's economy at a critical time in the state's history. The Palmetto tree was important to South Carolina at an earlier time (during the Revolutionary War--palmetto logs were used to build a fort to protect Sullivan's Island against the attacks of the British), and it became a prominent symbol of the state after it seceded from the Union.

This is the closest I could find:

"After the Civil War, Georgia growers developed several hardy peach varieties. The new varieties boosted the commercial peach industry and made Georgia the 'Peach State.'"

Source

So it simply appears that peaches were more important to Georgia's economy at a critical time in the state's history. The Palmetto tree was important to South Carolina at an earlier time (during the Revolutionary War--palmetto logs were used to build a fort to protect Sullivan's Island against the attacks of the British), and it became a prominent symbol of the state after it seceded from the Union.

THanks for clearing that up. I've ALWAYS wondered why Georgia had that as their nickname and all the girls are "Georgia peaches"