Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

I love that peach! I went on a business trip a couple a months ago to Charlotte and saw the Peach right next to I-85. It's true that South Carolina produces more peaches than Georgia. That's been true for years now. It's ironic that Georgia is famous for being "The Peach" state instead of South Carolina.

Haha, the Birmingham Metropolitan Area ALONE, produces more peaches than Georgia. Just Chilton County produces about 70% of the amount that Georgia does.

Amazing isn't it.

We also have a peach water tower outside of Clanton right on I-65.

Yea, the Metro in D.C. is a fantastic transit system, especially the Metrorail. The metrobus is actually a very convenient system as well once you pick up and learn the routes.

Yeah, the bus system is quite complex with all of the different lines. But I have ridden it twice in conjunction with Metrorail. If I wasn't riding with someone (both times), it would have been pretty obvious that I wasn't used to public transportation. :silly:

Another shot of Common Street in downtown New Orleans:

img6947sq7.jpg

I responded in Louisiana about this photo but I will here as well. It's a great shot, and I love the density of the tall buildings lining that street. That's one of the things that impresses me about New Orleans, because in that respect it reminds me of Chicago!

Another shot of Common Street in downtown New Orleans:

img6947sq7.jpg

Say, NCB - These pictures really suggest a revitalized central business district. Can you give everyone an update on the rehabilitation of the greater NO area. The media lost interest when there were no more stories of abject suffering to exploit. How are average folks really getting along these days?

University of South Carolina's green campus in the middle of downtown Columbia.

Thomas Cooper Library

DSC01110.jpg

Graduate Science Building

DSC01111.jpg

Girls Quad

DSC01104.jpg

Humanities and Nursing Buildings from corner of Green and Pickens St

DSC01103.jpg

Melton Observatory

DSC01105.jpg

South Tower

DSC01106.jpg

Davis College

DSC01101.jpg

President's House on the Horseshoe

DSC01097.jpg

Say, NCB - These pictures really suggest a revitalized central business district. Can you give everyone an update on the rehabilitation of the greater NO area. The media lost interest when there were no more stories of abject suffering to exploit. How are average folks really getting along these days?

The city is really starting to truly get back together now. The city population is nearing 250,000 and the metro is somewhere around 1.2 million. The CBD, which covers the downtown area, the Warehouse District, and the French Quarter, is very close to its pre-Katrina self. The majority of the downtown workforce is back, so it is very busy during the day, the tourists are really beginning to flock to the city again, nearly all of the businesses have reopened, and the nightife that New Orleans is famous for is very strong again, especially in the Quarter. Uptown is coming back strong, and the Garden District area is completely back up again, and all we're waiting for in that area is the Saint Charles Avenue Streetcar to begin running again, which should begin within the next few months. The heavily devastated area's like Lakeview, Gentilly, New Orleans East, and the 9th Ward, are all coming back strong in many area's. Every day I drive through these area's there seems to be a FEMA trailer in front of nearly every house, and that is a very good sign. At this point, we've basically reached the max amount of people we can literally fit inside of the less-devastated area's of the city, and right now everyone is just waiting for the federal housing money to come through so that people can really begin rebuilding.