Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Here's a couple more shots from Chattanooga. First is a view of the Incline Railway which takes people from the base to the top of Lookout Mountain. It's steeper than it looks in this picture.

P3250917.jpg

Just a few miles south down Lookout Mountain is the takeoff point for hang gliders. The Chattanooga area is tops in the Eastern U.S. for hang gliding. Elevation here is about 2,100 Ft while valley is about 700 Ft, making the verical drop 1,400 Ft.

P3250919.jpg

Edited by Hankster

Some OKC pics as requested by another poster:

205381460_edcdc2c9fb.jpg

The Oklahoma City Museum of Art, home of the largest collection of Chihuly glass sculpture

204566544_8982b47c19.jpg

Santa Fe Station, the northern terminus for Amtrak's Heartland Flyer

205391893_93357a9620.jpg

looking up at First National Center and City Place

Some that I didn't take:

12-05downtown.jpg

downtown at night

12-05classennorth.jpg

looking north on Classen with the Gold Dome in the foreground

OCVB-Oklahoma-City-Museum-of-Art.jpgOCVB-Festival_of_Arts_Do.jpgOCVB-Downtown_Oklahoma_City.jpg

The Museum of Art, Festival of the Arts, and the Deep Deuce neighborhood

Edited by jbrown84

12-05classennorth.jpg

looking north on Classen with the Gold Dome in the foreground

Oklahoma_City.jpg

jbrown84, thanks for sharing. One thing that stood out to me was the Gold Dome. Take a look at this photo of mine of the Gold Dome in Shreveport on the campus of Centenary College... VERY similar buildings! The same name and the same geodesic dome design. I thought that was pretty interesting. What is the Gold Dome in OKC used for? The one here is just a 3,000-seat basketball arena for the small college.

179018615.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

The Gold Dome was bank until about 5 years ago. Bank One (occupant at the time) wanted to tear it down and build a Walgreens (!), so preservationists threw a fit and it was fortunately saved. It is at the center of the Asian District, so a Vietnamese doctor purchased the building and it is now a cultural center.

Here is another pic:

3.jpg

The Gold Dome was bank until about 5 years ago. Bank One (occupant at the time) wanted to tear it down and build a Walgreens (!), so preservationists threw a fit and it was fortunately saved. It is at the center of the Asian District, so a Vietnamese doctor purchased the building and it is now a cultural center.

Here is another pic:

3.jpg

That was a bank!?!? Wow, what a unique bank design! Very cool... I'm glad it was saved and it's part of a cultural district. Not to mention, while I love the convenience of Walgreens' stores, this is much more a centerpiece than a Walgreens ever could have thought of being!

Great shots yall. Quite a contrast of big city and smaller town. I have to remind myself from time to time that Virginia is South. I'm so far down south I forget. I guess I kind of consider Virginia kind of mid-Atlantic with DC sometimes. But I also realize Virginia's historical significants and know it's what ever region it wants to be. Including both.

Edited by richyb83