Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Here is a panorama of the New Orleans riverfront taken from across the river on Algiers Point. I know there is one bump in the stitch between downtown and the French Quarter, but overall, I was pretty happy with it, since I wasn't using a tripod or any surface to keep the camera steady. :thumbsup:

Click

riverpanoramaoe3.jpg

^^^

Wow! Great panorama. New Orleans looks remarkably unchanged from when I was last there in 1982 (after the crash in Kenner). One thing I see different is that there are two bridges there on the left. I think there was only one when I was there. The riverfront looks a little different there where the Worlds Fair was, too.

^Thanks, RT! From that angle, New Orleans really does look the same is it did back in '82, though that was before my time. Like you noted, the second Crescent City Connection span was added in '88, the new aquarium in the early 90's, new cruise ship terminals, and additional port facilities, but apart from that, the rest of the view looks just about the same as it has since about 1980 or so. Though there are a few major towers constructed in the late 80's, but they're all located on the opposite end of downtown and cannot be seen from that angle.

Interesting that you were here after the crash of Pan Am 759. 153 people were killed in that crash, and I can only imagine a somber mood cast over the city at that time.

^Thanks, RT! From that angle, New Orleans really does look the same is it did back in '82, though that was before my time. Like you noted, the second Crescent City Connection span was added in '88, the new aquarium in the early 90's, new cruise ship terminals, and additional port facilities, but apart from that, the rest of the view looks just about the same as it has since about 1980 or so. Though there are a few major towers constructed in the late 80's, but they're all located on the opposite end of downtown and cannot be seen from that angle.

Interesting that you were here after the crash of Pan Am 759. 153 people were killed in that crash, and I can only imagine a somber mood cast over the city at that time.

I was 2 years old in '82... I had no idea a Pan Am plane crashed in Kenner. Wow.

New Orleans is a beautiful city, but in the neighborhoods it still has a small town charm... it really is weird how the big city and small town feels both merge together so nicely in that great city.

I was 2 years old in '82... I had no idea a Pan Am plane crashed in Kenner. Wow.

For more info, see Wikipedia's page on the crash: Link

At the time of Flight 759's takeoff, there were thunderstorms over the east end of the airport and to the east of the airport along the aircraft's intended takeoff path. The winds at the time were gusty, variable, and swirling. Clipper Defiance lifted off the runway, climbed to an altitude of between 95 and 150 feet (29 and 46 m) above the ground, and then began to descend. The aircraft struck a line of trees about 2,376 feet (724 m) beyond the departure end of runway 10 at an altitude of about 50 feet (15 m) above the ground. The aircraft continued on an eastward track for another 2,234 feet (681 m) hitting trees and houses and then crashed in a residential area about 4,610 feet (1405 m) from the end of the runway.

The aircraft was destroyed during the impact, explosion, and subsequent ground fire. One hundred forty-five people on board the aircraft and eight people on the ground were killed in the crash. Six houses were destroyed; five houses were damaged substantially.

Here is a panorama of the New Orleans riverfront taken from across the river on Algiers Point. I know there is one bump in the stitch between downtown and the French Quarter, but overall, I was pretty happy with it, since I wasn't using a tripod or any surface to keep the camera steady. :thumbsup:

Click

riverpanoramaoe3.jpg

Nice! Great vantage point of the skyline.