Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Splendid wide-angle urban photography, RT! You really have mastered your Canon Rebel. :good:

A few additions from downtown Greenville:

High dining in downtown at High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill...

DiningHigh_01c.jpg

The RiverPlace courtyard...

RiverPlaceCourtyard_01.jpg

Looking down on West North Street, from the Richardson Street Garage...

WNorthStreetUp_01.jpg

Cool.

Too bad every time I see a ferry, especially on the Mississippi, I can now only think about the opening scene in Deja Vu. I pray nothing like that ever happens in real life.

Ah yes...this?

Deja_Vu-4-explosion.jpg

Yeah, well, I can tell you, while I really enjoyed that movie and all of the exposure it gave New Orleans, it was wrong on so many levels. I can't remember, but it was said in the movie that thousands of people died in that ferry explosion on the Mississippi, while in reality you could fit a couple hundred people on the Algiers ferry, max. There are many other things, but I won't go into those.

However, you're right, it would be horrible if anything happened like that in reality. There was actually a major scare here in New Orleans after 9/11, because it was believed that the Crescent City Connection, the bridge spanning the Mississippi in both of those photos, was a target for a terrorist bombing. If that bridge was destroyed to the point where it fell into the river, the Mississppi would be compeltely shut off to any boat traffic, and that would be very bad for the country on many different levels.

BTW, just a little FYI. There are actually two models of the Algiers ferry, a large ferry, and a small ferry. The ferry you see in my photo is a small one, and the ferry that was used in Deja Vu was one of the larger ferries. The large ferries are used in the mornings and evenings, when pedestrian and vehicle traffic crossing the river on the ferry is very high. During the middle of the day, however, the smaller ferries are used as less people and vehicles cross the river.

^Great shot of the Midtown Atlanta skyline! :thumbsup:

Here's one from the Holy City:

MillHousehotel.jpg

That's a great hotel krazee. I was at a wedding reception there last summer, and it was in one of the most elegant ballrooms I've ever been in. The Barbados Room serves a top notch Sunday brunch too.

Here are a few recent shots from downtown Greenville, South Carolina. We've been in a drought for most of the year now, so it was great to finally see a bit of rain.

RiverPlace (a portion):

RiverPlaceSummer07_02.jpg

The Peace Center for the Performing Arts (a portion):

PeaceCenter2007_02.jpg

PeaceCenter2007_01.jpg

PeaceCenter2007_03.jpg

PeaceCenter2007_04.jpg

Falls Park on the Reedy River (notice the low water from the drought):

RiverPlaceSummer07_04.jpg

RiverPlaceSummer07_05.jpg

RiverPlaceSummer07_06.jpg

ReedyRiverSummer07_01.jpg